Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoes for Spinning bikes
Quote | Reply
As some of you may know, I am currently on deployment and my ability to enjoy the finer things in Triathlon (outdoors, fresh air, nature, rides on an actual bicycle) are fairly limited. Many of you made some great suggestions on how to make the most out of this next year (focus on speed over endurance since running on a treadmill for over an hour tends to be mentally frustrating). I'm proud to say I developed a game plan centered around a Half Iron training plan and am excited to attack it...

One thing I hate attacking is the spin bike. After spending over a decade riding nothing but MY bike with MY pedals and cleats, sticking my running shoes into the cages feels dirty somehow. Unfortunately when I used my very limited internet bandwidth to order some Shimano SPD cleats online that are compatible with the spinning bikes I have access to, I was very disappointed to realize my road cycling shoes are completely incompatible. (Yes, I should have known this...I swear to God I tried to research it and thought I would be fine). Based on the fact that it takes over a month to get something from Amazon where I am, I "made it work" by putting one bolt into the receptacle where it fit...and screwing the other in tight against the bottom of the footbed. OK, OK, I know I'm ruining my shoes, but I got them cheap from the classified forum here and I was going to treat myself to some new gear when I got home anyway.

With that said, I figure I should keep this a temporary solution and find a more permanent one so I've been looking at mountain biking shoes to put the proper cleats on. Also it would be helpful to be able to walk the 200 yards or so to the gym without having to wear walking shoes and carrying my cleats. So far I think the Pearl Izumi X-Alp LAUNCH look like the best -- also like maybe I could stand to run a mile or two in them after a bike workout?

Does anyone have experience with shoes I could use to walk to/from the gym, spin in, and maybe even run a short brick on?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Spinning bikes [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For bricks, use running shoes. They are much more comfortable/flexible, and the T2 practice helps.

The only time I've run in my SPDs was an Xterra where T1 was 1k from the swim exit (had to put on the bike shoes anyway, so just do it at the swim exit).

Indoor riding is a lot more sweating than outdoor, so get some low cost shoes you can wash. Weight is a non-factor, so go wit MTB shoes you can walk in. The PIs you are looking at can be found for <$50 and breathe well; probably a good choice.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacetman,

First, thanks for serving.

What size are your feet? I have a pair of Pearl Izumi MTB shoes that I could send over that would fit all your needs. They could be used for walking, hiking, and spinning with those cleats you bought.

For reference, I use size 44 and 44.5 Sidis.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for Spinning bikes [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paxfobiscum - Thanks for the thanks. It's a privelege...but please feel free to give me a high-paying job I don't deserve when I get out.

Unfortunately I normally wear a 42.0 Specialized so it sounds like you're slightly larger than I but I really appreciate the offer. If you recommend the Pearl Izumi MTB shoes I think I will just drop the cash on the ones I saw on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the PI's because they are soft, comfortable and reasonably priced. Good luck and stay safe.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply