Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advil and muscle cramps?
Quote | Reply
I don't usually take any pain killers when I work out or race, but I took Advil before and during a race yesterday because of some pain I was having (pain was related to a fall I took, not to training injuries). I started getting some leg cramps coming out if the water, felt fine on the bike, but cramped terribly on the run.

My electrolyte intake was consistent with my training, I felt pretty well hydrated, and the weather wasn't that hot--seeming to rule out some of the more commonly cited likely causes of cramps. Could the Advil have caused or contributed to the cramping? I've never cramped like that during a race, and I sure would like to avoid it in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: Advil and muscle cramps? [mc_charles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I doubt the pill made you cramp, it may have dulled whatever pre-cramp discomfort so that you bullied through that to the big hurt.

Anyway, before you run and pill again, read this: http://www.runnersworld.com/...eatment/pill-problem
Quote Reply
Re: Advil and muscle cramps? [mc_charles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mc_charles wrote:
I don't usually take any pain killers when I work out or race, but I took Advil before and during a race yesterday because of some pain I was having (pain was related to a fall I took, not to training injuries). I started getting some leg cramps coming out if the water, felt fine on the bike, but cramped terribly on the run.

My electrolyte intake was consistent with my training, I felt pretty well hydrated, and the weather wasn't that hot--seeming to rule out some of the more commonly cited likely causes of cramps. Could the Advil have caused or contributed to the cramping? I've never cramped like that during a race, and I sure would like to avoid it in the future!

here is your answer: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/..._type=blogs&_r=0
Quote Reply
Re: Advil and muscle cramps? [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses and links. I certainly don't intend to add pull-popping to my normal workout regime. The runners world link listed cramps as one possible side effect, and the NYT article added

"More immediately, if less graphically, the absorption of nutrients could be compromised, especially after exercise, Dr. van Wijck said, which could affect the ability of tired muscles to resupply themselves with fuel and regenerate."

Maybe it was the Advil, and maybe the effects were so strong because my body had never dealt with Advil on a workout before.

I'll hope that's all it was and will continue to test non-drugged nutrition in training before the next race--maybe in a few days, after I can move again!
Quote Reply