Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU Worlds LD, why the odd distances?
Quote | Reply
At ITU Worlds LD today they appear to have raced 4 k-120 k-20 k, which is weird.
Normally at these races it´s either 4-120-30 (the "old" Nice distance which has been standard for LD championships) or the double Oly 3-80-20.
Anyone know the story?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds LD, why the odd distances? [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2008 was triple Olympic (4500m/120k/30k) although it was advertised as a 4k swim here and there but it clearly said 3XOlympic on some stuff - that's 4500m if you do the math and it was indeed longer than 4k . Confusing. Lots of surprised folks in the water that day. It changed the next year to double Olympic (Gold Coast I think?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also noticed this when I saw that Craig Alexander was on the startlist. I have no information about it but I would be interested in knowing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Location? The run is already 4 5KM laps.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe these were the distances in Nice France when the race was run there, and they were accepted for all ITU Long Course events.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 in Motala Sweden will be 4K, 120K, 30K. I hadn't realized it that when I qualified for Worlds this year at GR MI that these were the distances. You qualify at the HIM distance so I thought the same for ITU World's. No matter , I think it is cool and looking forward to it. Another thought on this is that it gives it a difference from WTC's 70.3 World CH which some folks thinks gives the kiss of death to USAT LC National CH and weakens the field. I found that this years USAT LC CH had a deeper field of talent than IM 70.3 Boulder for AGer's when I did that last year and that race is considered pretty deep in talent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because, and I think that's the great thing about ITU LD compared to Ironman 70.3 or Ironman, ITU allows for diversity of distances (while still long distance). There's no official distance attached to it, swim can be from 2 to 4k, bike from 80 to 130k and run from 20 to 30k.

You take a great spot, and you race whatever the topography and roads allow, ala Slowman's ideal.

What's wrong with doing it this way?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds LD, why the odd distances? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Because, and I think that's the great thing about ITU LD compared to Ironman 70.3 or Ironman, ITU allows for diversity of distances (while still long distance). There's no official distance attached to it, swim can be from 2 to 4k, bike from 80 to 130k and run from 20 to 30k. You take a great spot, and you race whatever the topography and roads allow, ala Slowman's ideal. What's wrong with doing it this way?

OK, I'll take a 4K/80K/20K combo, which would be an even test of the three sports IMO.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply