Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Deep profile rims for very lightweight riders [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140 lbs Jet 90 front and Disc rear, no problems.

60mm wheels aren't twitchy, it's the riders using them.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 60 kg. I ride 50 mm deep wheels all the time, and deeper on TTs. I also have a set of Ksyriums.

I've ridden 50 mm in 80 km/h winds. At that point it's scary, but shallow wheels don't help: skills do. Keep weight on the front wheel, don't sit up and back. As much as possible relax, and don't death-grip the handlebars.

Of all my wheels the ksyriums have given me more frights in sudden and fierce wind than any 50 mm+ wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 140lbs and ride a really slammed over aggressive position.

I will be using a 60 front at Kona, but every other race I do or have done has been with a 90 front. The only time I ever feel concerned enough to break aero is when I am on a bridge decent.

I love in a windy environment, so the combo of being up high and exposed , AND doing 30 plus mph causes me to lose a little bit of nerve.

Otherwise, 90 all day, using the 60 at Kona based on recommendation of others.

It also depends on the wheels, I think newer deep wheels move the centroid of pressure further back and thus improve control, or so I have read. I didn't own the previous generations, so I don't know first hand,

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh 20 pounds less than you and ride a 60 in front. I wouldn't say that twitchiness is mental. It's not; it's real, BUT you can overcome it with practice which breeds confidence. I say get the 60 if you want it, then take it out every so often, starting on calm days, then build up your confidence on windier days. My first time ever riding a deep front wheel was on a very windy day on the Lake in Chicago - I would not recommend that. I took it out more and more to build up the confidence and handling skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Deep profile rims for very lightweight riders [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anando wrote:
I took it out more and more to build up the confidence and handling skills.

So it is mental, you learned a skill you didn't gain 80lbs to control it.

The OP pointed out that he has 200lbs friends that can't handle 60mm deep wheels, jack posts that his significantly lighter wife can handle deep wheels fine as did others here.

I at 200lbs threw on some 90s and they were difficult at first, also as pointed out V vs modern U shape makes a huge difference as well. The only "muscle" that I ended up using was my brain. Actually I was losing weight as I learned to deal with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Deep profile rims for very lightweight riders [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with all things, there's a mental component. Controlling a bike goes beyond confidence. There are stabilizing muscles used to control a bike in high crosswinds that you wouldn't otherwise use.
Quote Reply

Prev Next