Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy, these poor folks 2 years in a row.

http://www.runnersworld.com/...e?cid=social32099206

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I picked up the bib, filled out the forms etc & turned in the run bib for the shirt, hat & medal. Now I have to figure out who to contact.
Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
Yes, everyone should've already received the email (assuming you checked in and picked up your bib).
I've never seen any official email from WTC for any of my events. Only volunteer info, active.com emails, and now the Tahoe cancellation email that was sent outside of normal WTC email channels. The messages are not getting into my spam folder, either.

This is apparently something systemic at WTC's end, as there seem to be several participants not receiving the expected emails.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Thanks. I picked up the bib, filled out the forms etc & turned in the run bib for the shirt, hat & medal. Now I have to figure out who to contact.
Email laketahoe@ironman.com or laketahoe70.3@ironman.com .
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not receive the Announcement email, but I did locate the Options email in my spam filter to find a replacement race based on the different options. I already paid for a foundation spot for IMAZ, so the 2014 choices at $100 isn't an option for me, but I really appreciate the effort made by WTC and how quickly it was done. Was also signed up for 2012 NYC marathon, but at least I didn't make the trip there.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

anything can happen. it's very possible that ironman 70.3 oceanside might get canceled because of a terrorist attack closing the bike venue (camp pendleton). don't think that can't happen. it happened to me when i put on a race in oceanside. it might've been the USS cole attack that closed the base, i don't remember. i just remember the bike ride being shut down just before the race.

what happened to the tahoe event is, as tahoe goes, rare. yes, it was cold last year. i remember standing on snow and ice, in bare feet, waiting for the gun to go off in september in the mid 80s for the bass lake national championships. nobody complained. this year, a wildfire happened. that can happen. but during the 10 years i lived in tahoe, and ever since (i spend much of my time in the high sierras ever summer, routinely, and i was in truckee a month ago) this is a rare occurrence.

I had a sibling doing the USTS Nationals at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, which at the time was pretty much the defacto age group and pro Olympic Distance Nationals. It was cancelled and rescheduled in the late 1980s, I believe due to a storm or Hurricane, possibly. I think it was scheduled initially for ?September? and then rescheduled later in the fall. Not surprising that these things can/could happen for a September race on the Atlantic ocean.

Arguably, USTS Nationals and IM Hawaii were the two biggest races on the U.S. calendar, so to have one of them cancelled (but ultimately rescheduled), was a pretty big cancellation.
Last edited by: mcycle: Sep 23, 14 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to ask but what are you supposed to do with a medal for a race that didn't happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [quid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put it in the drawer or box with the others and then tell the story about the time wildfires canceled the race you trained 6+ months for one day when your grandkids are asking about them because they found them in the bottom of a closet or in the attic.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [quid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better yet. Give it to an kids organization that is looking for people to give up their metals so they can hand them out. There are a couple of organizations that do that. Off hand I can't remember their names.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got an email receipt that says "Chattanooga entry" but you really selected Arizona for option 1? I had someone at Active helping me with the Arizona entry. Either they selected the wrong option or the email receipt is incorrect. I'm a little worried now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of that, but that's a great idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Better yet. Give it to an kids organization that is looking for people to give up their metals so they can hand them out. There are a couple of organizations that do that. Off hand I can't remember their names.

Barb

x2!!

http://www.medals4mettle.org/

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also note that there are a couple of events that are great training/warm up events for IRONMAN Lake Tahoe

Donner Lake Triathlon July/2015
http://www.donnerlaketri.com

Lake Tahoe Triathlon August/2015
http://www.laketahoetri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [SierraTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SierraTri wrote:
Also note that there are a couple of events that are great training/warm up events for IRONMAN Lake Tahoe

Donner Lake Triathlon July/2015
http://www.donnerlaketri.com

Lake Tahoe Triathlon August/2015
http://www.laketahoetri.com

These races are the perfect training races for Tahoe! I have done Donner for years and it is by far my favorite race. Will see if
I can also fit the Lake Tahoe Tri in this year since I hear it is even more beautiful than Donner, without the killer hill.

Anyone going to join me at these races?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the reason IM China was cancelled (not air quality) ... http://www.ironman.com/...d.aspx#axzz3E6Pk3Guu

My wife and number of my athletes were prepared to race Tahoe ... although in general the response that was provided or the athletes is reasonable, they have all struggled to make a decision, in 48 hours, if they they even wanted to race later this Fall. I understand the IM CHOO CHOO decision needed to be made ASAP but it's tough for an athlete who just went through an emotional situation to decide that quick if they want to sign up for a race and spend another 6-9 weeks training and deal with the financial aspects of of another race. I think an extra 5-7 days to decide on FLA / AZ / COZ would have been beneficial to let them fist deal wih what just happened.

Best,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do that so am I gonna be sol

john g
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave
I agree 100% with you regarding the timeline. Being on the west coast, Arizona was the one race that I could go to in 2014 that was financially "reasonable" after spending a lot of money on Tahoe. I had to make a quick decision and decided to give that a go even though I am not sure I was mentally prepared for another training block to get ready for that race...but I tried to sign up and got the "On Hold" at 11:00:01.

Once that happened, I got frustrated with the whole situation. Given the extremely small number of slots at AZ & FL, I just don't understand why they cannot offer CDA, Canada, Boulder etc at the same $100 rate.

Brent
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [bcohen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent ... 100% agreed on all accounts. - I still have a couple athletes toying w/ Chatanooga w/ the quick consumption of the AZ slots. Also one or two lookin at Cozumel too but currently that is VERY expensive w/ flights (holiday week) etc.

DL

Dave Latourette
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Sep 23, 14 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess I'm most likely going back to Tahoe...great deal that was most unexpected. Wish they'd had Lake Placid 2015 on one of those lists. Did anyone here get into Florida, Arizona, or Tenessee 2014?

Nick
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick ... there was a lot of demand for IMAZ, a little less for IMF and I bet you can still get one of the 100 spots to Chattanooga (unless someone knows otherwise?)

Agreed ... It was interesting they didn't offer up the some spots for IMLP or IM Chattanooga for 2015. I know LP is sold out and Chatt will sell out but they found some spots for this. Makes sense they want to drive athletes to races that are open.

Best of luck with IMLT next year!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into IMAZ. I watched an online Atomic Clock with seconds so I had clicked the link within a second. I had already signed into Active so my registration took like 15 seconds. I feel pretty lucky even then. I'm curious who else from Tahoe will be at Arizona. Practically opposite races. Cold and Hilly vs. Hot and Flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:
devrock wrote:
They need to move the race to another time of year. This is prime wildfire season out there this time of year. Two years in a row affected is not a coincidence. Sucks for everyone who was there, though. Can't imagine the chaos.

I agree that Wildfires are prevalent this time of year out here. Generally the risk seems to be August through October. However both fires, the Rim Fire last year, and the King Fire this year were both started by humans - and both individuals are facing a lot of time in prison. So yes, perhaps it is just that, a coincidence. The best time for this race would be the weekend after Labor Day after the summer vacationers are back to work/school, etc. I know there's a big Tahoe Century ride that weekend so perhaps permitting is an issue. I have no idea. Last year's Tahoe race was Epic (despite the small T1 tent and chilly air). That's what I am certain of.

Last Year the locals bristled at comments about changing the schedule to host the race earlier in the the summer. They said it would be a huge cluster fuck because of the summer crowds. Golfers, boaters, hikers, mtn bikers all using the highways, restaurants, stores, etc. I tend to agree that having the place to ourselves in September is kinda nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, I echo your thoughts. WTC is a very big corporation that charges a lot, so I don't think its ridiculous to expect a lot from them in return. The cancellation was not their fault, but the way it was communicated and how they are handling the "payback" sucks. They also told us that we would get an email Tuesday, so I wonder if some people missed this altogether in traveling. I had to plan my drive back around the 12:00 window today to try and get into Arizona (which was not successful, but that's another subject). This, combined with the piss poor communication process on the morning of the race, has soured me on WTC to some extent. I will be back to do the Vineman Full when I'm ready for another full.
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i totally agree with you here... i was one of the affected participants and am obviously super disappointed. We were told it was cancelled to protect the safety of the athletes, volunteers, and spectators. Although i can see the athletes having their challenges, if breathing the air also threatened the safety of the volunteers and spectators too, then why was the area not put on evacuation alert by government officials? Why were we not told to leave the area?

Like you pointed out, lots of people live through breathing smoke for long periods of time... and its probably not the healthiest thing to do. But whoever said that doing an IM in the first place is the healthiest thing to do either? there's a reason why it takes so long to recover. But still, we choose to do them, as each of us personally decides that the pro's outweigh the con's...
Quote Reply
Re: Tahoe Cancelled... [Harapnuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d
Harapnuk wrote:
i totally agree with you here... i was one of the affected participants and am obviously super disappointed. We were told it was cancelled to protect the safety of the athletes, volunteers, and spectators. Although i can see the athletes having their challenges, if breathing the air also threatened the safety of the volunteers and spectators too, then why was the area not put on evacuation alert by government officials? Why were we not told to leave the area?

Like you pointed out, lots of people live through breathing smoke for long periods of time... and its probably not the healthiest thing to do. But whoever said that doing an IM in the first place is the healthiest thing to do either? there's a reason why it takes so long to recover. But still, we choose to do them, as each of us personally decides that the pro's outweigh the con's...

People who live there can go indoors to avoid the worst of the particulates. The people standing outside volunteering for 8 hours can't. Big difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next