Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait just a minute Freddie.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! Hunker down in the pain cave this winter and ruminate on my rude comments on ST :)

motoguy128 wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Again, looks like he had a great race, put together a solid and smart swim/bike and a smoking run. He was very, very smart to pick this race to KQ and got himself unintentionally a little extra publicity too. I'll look forward to racing the champ next year.

ever since you qualified for Kona you've been a bit insufferable

I thought I was pretty bad all summer after my first breakthrough race at Kansas.

That's OK, after I get my ass kicked in Kona next year, I'll be more mellow. It's a long 12-1/2 months. Probably time for a break from ST anyway.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember hearing the announcer state this will be th first time an amateur will the the Ironman Champion. That says it all for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the first amateur ironman champ, that im aware of (perhaps someone can correct me) is Tony DeLonge who won Lake Placid in 2005.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [nameless ghoul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race recap video doesn't even show Matt finishing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTG-noN6O0

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really a shame that have not taken advantage of this AG only race opportunity. I think if they did something unique for the top 5 male and female finishers and pretty much did the same thing they do for the pros (no money, but same awards and ceremony) it would really attract the pointy end of the AGers and really help to keep the interest in these type of races alive. I actually thing AG only races could be more interesting if done right. My $0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree!

I don't care if he was a Pro or an AG'er. The FIRST person across the line is the winner. End of story!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
It is really a shame that have not taken advantage of this AG only race opportunity. I think if they did something unique for the top 5 male and female finishers and pretty much did the same thing they do for the pros (no money, but same awards and ceremony) it would really attract the pointy end of the AGers and really help to keep the interest in these type of races alive. I actually thing AG only races could be more interesting if done right. My $0.02.

Well said.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The marketing machine puts this stuff together like a infomercial - great stuff like the sham wow!! Everyone should buy one.

For me the winner of the race is significant, but for many many others, its indifference. Nystrom was a nhl legend - in NHL terms these feeder racers are like the pre-season or exhibition games - b strings races. I am sure that the the fellow who won this race would have been happier to have come 10th in a star studded field- now when he tells people he won an IM race they will say - cool what did you win - and he will respond - a really cool medal that everyone rec'd for just finishing - oh yeah a nice plaque too!!

Even a token few grand would at least justify it in some way! No prizes for the fastest just saddens me. Its not really a race - if no one cares about the outcome.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
I remember hearing the announcer state this will be th first time an amateur will the the Ironman Champion. That says it all for me.

What about Molly Zahr at Lake Placid 2006?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe the female winner of coeur d'alene in 2005 was an amateur. but yes, i believe you're correct that molly zahr was an amateur.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call him whatever you want but the Real Starky interview (podcast) with Matt is very good--Matt seems like good dude-regular guy that is pretty damn fast....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt is an awesome guy. He trained with Goldcoast Tri in Hoboken NJ where i train but recently moved this summer. He should get something more than then medal for beating everyone else that showed up that day......and he IS damn fast
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
You completely lost me. I see a guy named Matt Bach has the fastest time. Where is the doubt that he is the "winner" or "champion"?

Exactly. I don't know why there is anything confusing about this. The fast guy or girl at a race is the winner. This is pretty fundamental to racing. It works that way in 2nd grade on field day and it works that way at an Ironman. I don't know why WTC is confused about this. I ran a 5K last week and they awarded the fastest guy the 1st place "Champion" trophy. Nobody said "yeah but there weren't any pros here".

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I really don't understand why WTC did not have a top 5 male/female podium at this race. It would really help market the "non-pro" events and add some excitement to the race. In fact, they might actually see the really pointy end AGers doing these types of races versus all the others. Seriously, it's extremely rare for an AGer be the first one to cross the finish line and break the tape at an IM event. Just tweak the title and call the male/female winners IM AG Champions. Trophy and such. Awards dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Be a ironman champion as lost a lot of his lust and meaning in the recent years. Trevor Wurtele that himself won IMC in 2013 said it s not the same anymore. competition isn't as strong as it use it. Too many races.

I think WTC is doing the right thing.... or they will devalue their own brand....

I think you've touched upon an important issue there. WTC is trying to grow the brand, but at the same time, not devalue it.

Until the owners of WTC let Messick start spending more money on Pro Prize purses, then IMHO, the professional sport of Ironman will continue to be devalued. I would be surprised if this happened under PEP; I'm not sure what will be left after PEP pull the cord.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland Champ? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
Wowzers. The guy beats everyone who showed up at the start line with him, and yet some people refuse to believe he is the champion?! Awesome. Just awesome.

People are missing a valid point here and confusing two different things.

1) yes he was the winner of the race.

2) Does WTC have the right to identify their races as being pro or age group for the purposes of media/marketing uses? When I was the world bronze medallist, we signed a declaration saying we would always report that as world AGE GROUP medallist, since we weren't in the elite category. I completely agree, it would feel like an insult to the elites to say I was 3rd at world champs and pretend that i was on the same level. In WTC case, they don't differentiate, even though they do start the pro category early.
Quote Reply

Prev Next