Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't, personally. But I used to interview a lot of people straight out of school. We were always desperate for SOMETHING to talk about. Strictly professional experience was uniform, good school, near top of class, etc. Don't care, none of the resume basics matter, you wouldn't be in an interview if they weren't good enough. So I can see both sides to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
I’ve heard most people in kona are the age groupers with the 10+ IMs.

I say why not charge people $10k to get in.

Wow. Like it. Straight to the point.

Maybe 10+ IMs is so that the Ironman brand avoids an embarrassing numbers of DNFs at Kona.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
My podiatrist raced Kona back in the 80’s. He has some buddies from back n the day that still do full distance tris. He says they are ALL divorced . So there’s that.

It's interesting that women for the most part can be that selfish with their hobbies, shopping or interests while men can't or they'll be labeled as selfish bums and discarded.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
My podiatrist raced Kona back in the 80’s. He has some buddies from back n the day that still do full distance tris. He says they are ALL divorced . So there’s that.

It's interesting that women for the most part can be that selfish with their hobbies, shopping or interests while men can't or they'll be labeled as selfish bums and discarded.

I’m not gonna touch that comment. I’ll let a woman respond .

You might have stirred up a hornet’s nest.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good strategy to land the job I can see that. I guess my point is that I wouldn’t have that as a standard point on my resume.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
Good strategy to land the job I can see that. I guess my point is that I wouldn’t have that as a standard point on my resume.

This reminded me.. there's a decent-sized company based in Philly whose online application site lists "Ironman/triathlon" as one of the options for its "How did you first hear about us?" question.

They used to be the title sponsor for the Philly Tri and I believe the founder is a multiple IM finisher, including Kona (not sure if that was via qualification or CEO Challenge thing).

I'm not sure if the question was designed just to gauge ROI on their marketing spend, to flag triathletes in the hiring process, or both.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 10+ IMs is so that the Ironman brand avoids an embarrassing numbers of DNFs at Kona.

Why would the Ironman brand be embarrassed with a lot of DNF's?

I would think that makes the race more appealing to many people.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm allergic to PEDs.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Tool old
2. Can’t swim well, dislike swimming
3. Don’t care to run as i prefer bikes.

So my triathln is 1: bike 2. Beer 3. Fast food

But i have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Reactions wrote:

Beats doing 10 Ironmans imo.

I have a friend who worked kona for an event and his take was most people at kona weren’t elite athletes in fact just age groupers who got in after completing a number of Ironman races.

So it’s not a special race. Why not just charge a lot and save us the years of racing for those who give a shit about kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
IT wrote:
Reactions wrote:

I have a friend who worked kona for an event and his take was most people at kona weren’t elite athletes in fact just age groupers who got in after completing a number of Ironman races.

Your friend is wrong. Probably 85% of the people doing Kona are there because they qualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Reactions wrote:
IT wrote:
Reactions wrote:

Your friend is wrong. Probably 85% of the people doing Kona are there because they qualified.

I hope so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legacy athletes are limited to 200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have the stomach for it. Literally.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

WTF. LOL. I think you are stuck in the 80s with your podiatrist. Welcome to the 21st century. Kidding. But seriously.
Quote Reply

Prev Next