Quote | Reply
I drink water.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salt will KILL you!

No, too much salt will harm you.

No, ANY salt will shorten your life.

No, salt actually helps and lengthens you life.

No, salt is the debbil.

Y'know, do what you want. In moderation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy sparkling or soda water and add a splash of juice to it. Then you get to control the whole amount of sugar and flavour. We buy store brand carbonated water and our favorite lemonade and mix about 1 part lemonade to 3 parts water. Very refreshing, quite inexpensive and a nice treat in the summer.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Actually, one of the things you should be thinking hard about if you believe that this mice data is directly relevant to humans (it might be, more research needed), is that you should be able to give fat people antibiotics (to clear their gut flora), then have then ingest fecal flora from skinny people, and that alone should reverse their glucose intolerance and hopefully cause significant weight loss.

I could imagine a market for skinny people feces starting up for cash! Or not.....

Don't know if you're aware of it, but fecal transplantation is a real thing, and actually gave some spectacular results in the treatment of chronic bowel infections (see the Johns Hopkins website for an example of many well-respected clinics that offer it).

So, there may be a market after all... :-)

(Not a pretty thought, though)

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nosmo king wrote:
"Have you ever noticed how many heavy people drinks tons of diet soda?"

No, have you ever noticed how many people who own Labrador Retrievers go blind?

Then I bet you've noticed those heavy blind folks with Labs sucking on their Diet Cokes . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm type 1 diabetic and test my blood sugar around 10 times a day. Diet soda does very little to my blood sugar. I know LOTS of healthy( skinny) people that drink diet soda.

It's pretty common for the average american to Biggie size their fast breakfast, lunch and dinner. That garbage causes the blood sugar roller coaster.

I'm not saying diet is "healthy" to drink but I can voutch that it doesnt affect an endurance athletes blood sugar, or at least mine. Bout to crack a coke zero open now, yummmmm

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The artificial sweeteners don't directly alter blood sugar, they alter the way your body processes real sugar. The idea is if you never had artificial sweeteners and ate a Snickers bar your blood sugar would increase by some set level. Then if you then ingested artificial sweeteners everyday for a long period of time and ate a Snickers bar after that period, the same amount of glucose intake you trigger a greater increase in your sugar. Don't think skinny vs. fat, think of normal glucose control vs. abnormal glucose control. Like I'm sure you know, type 1 diabetes have abnormal insulin control but without treatment would they would die from wasting away, not obesity. The process could be diabetogenic but will trigger gradual changes in glucose processing over the long term and has nothing to do altering glucose levels directly or acutely.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [G-Castle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I know, the skinny vs fat was in regards that "most" people in America are fat and eat like crap then get a diet soda with said crap food. The point, I suspect a lot of the there people were not "fit". Just speculating.

I am very aware of how sugar/carb affects blood sugar. Everything I do, every single day is blood sugar related.

Everyday I look at trends in my blood sugar. Nothing I have seen would lead me to believe that diet soda is bad for my blood sugar.

Now, maybe it could help loose a few pounds and I like the sound of that :)

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people writing headlines, including this one, have an agenda.

You car is not unsafe because it has an accelerator. It is safe because it has a brake pedal.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
N = 7 is why. Plus, I distrust the overreaching of the article in question (in that it looks a bit like they shopped around for the highest response--saccharine--and then extrapolated it to all artificial sweeteners).

This is big. Most of the artificial sweeteners that people consume are in diet coke, but those sweeteners were not shown to have much of the same effect. Only when you clump those with saccharine was there anything significant.

I think this story is a case where a group has an awesome project. It then got rewritten by an overenthusiastic author to bump it up from a great journal to NATURE. The only way to do that is to demonstrate broad interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprise surprise - Artificial sweeteners not safe [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought the science done was quite good, and the mouse study is solid. The human trial is assuredly preliminary but set them up for proving the worth of studying deeper into saccharine's effect on the human gut microflora (read: get funding for another study).

It was a one-two punch, the authors themselves sold the results hard (it's a nightmare to get published, so I understand this too well), and then mainstream media, which has the scientific understanding of a woolly mammoth (extinct), got a hold of it and turn up the sensationalism another 3 or 4 notches. Sigh...

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply

Prev Next