Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jonathan Dwyer Arrest
Quote | Reply
According to multiple reports, Phoenix police arrested Dwyer on suspicion of aggravated assault in connection with two July incidents involving a woman and a young child. The accusations include fracturing one of the woman's bones and preventing her from calling 911.

http://www.latimes.com/...-20140918-story.html

"Dwyer isn't the only member of the Cardinals' roster to have a run-in with law enforcement over alleged domestic violence.
Daryl Washington, currently suspended for the season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, hasn't faced punishment from the league after pleading guilty this year to aggravated assault on an ex-girlfriend in an incident that left her with a broken collarbone."

How much worse can it get for the NFL?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need Congressional intervention ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coach told him his goal should be to outperform Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice. So he went out and beat a woman *and* a child.

Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 14 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
We need Congressional intervention ...

I know that was in pink, but Claire McCaskill already got a shot in on Stoops and Oklahoma about a month ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

PR wise? It's getting pretty bad. But the reality is that the NFL has a lower percentage of it's employees getting arrested than the general populace does, so it can definitely get worse.

The scumbags get a lot of attention, but the NFL is in good shape when it comes to the behavior of it's players.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

PR wise? It's getting pretty bad. But the reality is that the NFL has a lower percentage of it's employees getting arrested than the general populace does, so it can definitely get worse.

The scumbags get a lot of attention, but the NFL is in good shape when it comes to the behavior of it's players.

Can you say the same when comparing to Fortune 500 companies?
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Can you say the same when comparing to Fortune 500 companies?

I don't have that data, but I would expect the arrest rate for white collar workers to be well below the average population as well as below the NFL rate.

The demographic of NFL players is not the same as that of Fortune 500 companies. Low education, unstable backgrounds, etc.. If we compared apples to apples, I still say the NFL player arrest rate is pretty good.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the shark attack phenomenon at work. The media/social media mob gloms onto a theme (insert righteous indignation and moral outrage) and scours the earth looking for and highlighting every relatable incident and turns the perception of the exception into the rule.

The NFL needs to right it's ship, establish and enforce clear and reasonable standards, and stop allowing itself to be put on defense. It's been a downhill slide ever since the head injury issue came to light (largely their own fault for not addressing it sooner), but the public flogging is a bit excessive, and they're taking a lot of undeserved flak at the moment.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Jonathan Dwyer Arrest [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
This is the shark attack phenomenon at work. The media/social media mob gloms onto a theme (insert righteous indignation and moral outrage) and scours the earth looking for and highlighting every relatable incident and turns the perception of the exception into the rule.

The NFL needs to right it's ship, establish and enforce clear and reasonable standards, and stop allowing itself to be put on defense. It's been a downhill slide ever since the head injury issue came to light (largely their own fault for not addressing it sooner), but the public flogging is a bit excessive, and they're taking a lot of undeserved flak at the moment.

Agreed. I'm not implying that the NFL needs to go easy on these guys or that their behavior isn't despicable. I'm happy to see the league coming down hard and establishing higher standards. This is being blown way out of proportion due the popularity of the league.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

C'mon. The media is just havin' a littl' fun... no one really believes this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NFL should consider going to 8 man football, just so they'll have enough
players to put on the field.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the public and the media are calling for Goodell to be fired or resign or whatever, right? But Goodell works for the owners, as do all these players who are beating their wives, kids, etc.

So how much of Goodell keeping his job is the fact that the owners who employ these guys like having Goodell around to catch all the bad press and shield them from it a bit?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply