Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginner hunting for new bike! Help!
Quote | Reply
I am relatively new to the wonderful world of Tri and coming into summer am looking to increase my commitment to the sport.
I am no natural athlete but am slowly finding my ground and loving it more and more!

Currently, I'm looking to purchase a new bike! Yay!
However, I am starting to drown a little under all the information and cornucopias amount of things I don't quite understand yet.
Being my first bike, I only have a budget of $2000.00 AUS, this includes pedals and shoes. And any other bits and bobs I can squeeze in there.
I have been into several of my local bikes shops to try and inform myself properly of what it is I am looking for.
I know, I am definitely want a carbon frame, with alloy bars and a minimum 10 speed.
So! I have narrowed my hunt down to three bikes I believe would do the job!

I would love if people could give me their opinion on which bike they believe is the most durable, reliable and efficient!!

1. http://www.trekbikes.com/...ormance_race/emonda/

2. http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/legend-shimano-105

3. http://99bikes.com.au/...blue-2013#main-image

Cheers,
Stace x
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner hunting for new bike! Help! [stacefface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size are you after, how did you come to that size, and why not a tri bike?? Before you plop down your life savings, need to answer some questions first..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything with shimano 105 should be reliable - as long as the shop sets it up correctly.

What you should focus on is how they fit - if you're on the shorter side the Kestrel and Merida not so good to you (99 do have a Cube Agree that would be better than the Merida). Or if you have proportionally long legs.

Try to find out whether any of the shops near you have a fit bike so you can work out your position before buying a bike and then chose one that fits properly. It is much cheaper to buy the right bike first time (than getting the wrong one and suffering then buying something different).
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner hunting for new bike! Help! [monty] [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a 52 or 54 depending on make. I am 5'8 and mainly legs!
I must admit I have probably been a little too focused on the make up of the bike, opposed to the fit.
Last edited by: stacefface: Sep 17, 14 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For pedals and components (shifters, derailleurs, crank, brakes) look for Shimano 105. Shimano makes nice shoes too. After pedals and shoes, your budget for your bike should be around $1800AUD (doing some quick conversion in my head, not sure how prices work out on a PPP basis).

Consider buying used as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why a road bike and not a Triathlon/TT bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stacefface wrote:
I am relatively new to the wonderful world of Tri and coming into summer am looking to increase my commitment to the sport.
I am no natural athlete but am slowly finding my ground and loving it more and more!

Currently, I'm looking to purchase a new bike! Yay!
However, I am starting to drown a little under all the information and cornucopias amount of things I don't quite understand yet.
Being my first bike, I only have a budget of $2000.00 AUS, this includes pedals and shoes. And any other bits and bobs I can squeeze in there.
I have been into several of my local bikes shops to try and inform myself properly of what it is I am looking for.
I know, I am definitely want a carbon frame, with alloy bars and a minimum 10 speed.
So! I have narrowed my hunt down to three bikes I believe would do the job!

I would love if people could give me their opinion on which bike they believe is the most durable, reliable and efficient!!

1. http://www.trekbikes.com/...ormance_race/emonda/

2. http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/legend-shimano-105

3. http://99bikes.com.au/...blue-2013#main-image

Cheers,
Stace x

My opinion: Of the 3 you've listed the trek is the least desireable, it come with a crappy tiagra groupo. The Kestrel is the most expensive, which doesn't leave you much money for pedals\shoes. The Merida works, it has a frame similar to the bike that Lampre uses in the tour de france, full shimano 105 groupo, priced right.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner hunting for new bike! Help! [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in your shoes 3 years ago. Bought a road bike, did ok with it. Then once I got a little more serious with it, I needed a tri bike.

Don't make the same mistake. Get a tri bike. Otherwise you'll waste your $2000 and in a year or two will have to spend more to get a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I ask where in Oz you are?

Getting a bike fit it STEP 1, buying the bike although arguably more fun comes after this.

Depending where you are may open / close doors as to quality bike fit support.. so if I can help you with Step 1 then you'll know what bike to be looking for AFTER the fit is complete... window shopping is important and color is critical too tho :-)

All the best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been some great prices on last model bikes lately - I just purchased one myself and got a $3500 Cervelo for $2200. Giants in particular seem to be on good discount still. Also worth a look on the bike exchange website - they sell new bikes as well as second hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike is a major investment so don't feel rushed. For me the following are what I look for:

1. Aesthetics. By this I don't just mean the paint scheme of the bike frame, although it is definitely very important. If at all possible you want to get something that you can't stop looking and not just simply okay looking. By no means should you go with a color/scheme you dislike just because its on a huge sale or something. For example, I still really enjoy looking at my red and white 10 y/o Cervelo dual. Internal cables help to make the bike set up look cleaner. Also, once fitted to you (preferably by a trained fitter and not just any sales person on the floor), does the bike have the right proportions. For example, would there a a ton of spacers under the stem, or the stem need to be pointed toward the sky to fit you? If that is the case that is a sign that you should either get a different size or just a another model/brand with a different geometry. When all is said and done, do you really, really like the look? Having a good looking bike is not just vanity as it will make you want to ride more. It will also keep you from wanting a new bike too soon, thus saving you money in the long run.

2. Componentry. Shimano 105 and Sram Rival groupsets are the sweet spot. You can spend a lot more just to get the next level up (e.g. Shimano Ulterra and Sram Force) but it only saves you a little bit of weight with basically the same functional performance. However I wouldn't go for anything a level below, like Shimano Tiagra.

3. Ride quality. Unlike the first two, ride quality is not easy to discern, even if the shops allow you to take short test rides. So here I would rely on online reviews and just different brand's reputation in general. As ride feel is inherently subjective, I would simply look out for anything that is consistently called out in multiple reviews, and make sure any shortcomings of the bike is something that you can live with. For example, online reviews of the Scott Foil I'm riding now consistently pointed out that this is a stiff bike that can beat you up over a long ride. My experience has confirmed it, although I was willing to sacrifice comfort to get other things I was looking for.

Among the 3 bike you picked out, I definitely like the Merida the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stace, glad you are looking to progress in the sport!

You are doing precisely the right thing by informing yourself on your upcoming purchase. This can be a really overwhelming process, as nearly all new entrants into the sport can attest to, and what you are experiencing right now.

For the basics, make sure you are getting the right equipment for YOU. Get the equipment that will have the biggest marginal impact on your racing. If that is the bike, then delve into that avenue, but don't neglect a good wetsuit and run shoes. Bike technology has blown up in the past several years, so it's imperative you know what will be best for you and your use. Also BIKE FIT. Get a GREAT one. A good fit will drop more time both on the bike AND OFF. You'll be able to run easily vs a poor fit. You'll probably be passing many people with top gear. :)

Take about an hour and listen to this interview, on Triathlon Research, it will clear up a lot of confusion for you. It's with Seton Claggett, founder of TriSports, discussing gear on all three of the disciplines. He lays it all out wonderfully.

Good luck on your bike search!
Last edited by: QueenCity1: Sep 19, 14 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word of advice - no matter what bike you choose you should save enough to get a good indoor trainer like the Kurt kinetic road machine, which you can find for around $300. You will make huge strides if you ride continuously all year long. Interval training is especially effective on the trainer. Way more important than the bike.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner hunting for new bike! Help! [gjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for the bike - I bought a road bike when I got into the sport 4 years ago and am still happily riding it. It's a felt f75 - which I would highly recommend. It handles and climbs better than a tri bike - which is perfect for me because i have poor handling skills. I also have clip on aerobars. It's a dirty little secret in triathlon but road bikes actually go really fast if you put in the training.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply