Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Reminds me of a couple of folks I saw at the pool not too long ago. They wouldn't pull their caps all the way down made it look like they were wearing condoms with a reservoir tip.

Is this type of cap part of WTC's safe-swim program?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jayhox wrote:
Actually, that proved my point. Every single one of those guys is putting the top of their head in the water. Primarily after they breath and are extending their breathing side arm forward. Just like all fast swimmers do. And if you really want to get technical, and you claim to kick people's asses in the pool, if you dive in or do flip turns, the top of your head is in the water quite a bit. Unless you are sighting the wall with each stroke -- which I doubt you are if your are kicking people's asses in the pool.

Well, in turningscrews' defense, he is quite a fast swimmer; IIRC, he went around 4:30-ish for the 500 when he was in college. I think what he was saying is that the idea of completely burying your head below the water all the time is not really a good idea:)

Who ever said that?

I could be mistaken but i think the Total Immersion program advocates putting your head way underwater, which is i think part of their "pressing on the T" concept to get the legs up, the "T" being the head, shoulders, and chest.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jayhox wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jayhox wrote:
Actually, that proved my point. Every single one of those guys is putting the top of their head in the water. Primarily after they breath and are extending their breathing side arm forward. Just like all fast swimmers do. And if you really want to get technical, and you claim to kick people's asses in the pool, if you dive in or do flip turns, the top of your head is in the water quite a bit. Unless you are sighting the wall with each stroke -- which I doubt you are if your are kicking people's asses in the pool.

Well, in turningscrews' defense, he is quite a fast swimmer; IIRC, he went around 4:30-ish for the 500 when he was in college. I think what he was saying is that the idea of completely burying your head below the water all the time is not really a good idea:)

Who ever said that?

I could be mistaken but i think the Total Immersion program advocates putting your head way underwater, which is i think part of their "pressing on the T" concept to get the legs up, the "T" being the head, shoulders, and chest.

You won't catch me advocating the Total Immersion method. My initial comments were directed at the questioning of why the wrinkles on a cap would ever be in the water. They should. But not to the point of the total immersion method. I don't care how fast someone is if they are giving misleading or bad advice.

Quote | Reply
And yet you've spent two days inanely bitching about something that's essentially a non-issue & unrelated when the actual contributors answered the OP's question weeks ago. The wrinkles aren't slowing down the OP enough to be material.

You should have a neutral spine - which means the top of your head may or may not be in the water at some/all of the time. It also just depends on how each person swims.
Shorter distance = higher likelihood to have eyes a bit higher/head tilted a bit more forward/closer to hairline @ waterline, pushing the T doesn't submerge anything, you just create more of a "planing" effect. Longer distance = slightly more likely to have a lower head position, look straighter down, longer stroke. Marginal differences either way...and mostly irrelevant to open water.

Triathlon = most likely to have the shittiest, most non-relevant head position that changes with every stroke & creates enormous amounts of drag lifting entire head out of the water, not to mention the drag caused by sighting itself. Also most likely to have the bitchiest of participants, likely to over-analyze the most stupid of topics & be an internet-professional in something they're only marginally competitive in.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
And yet you've spent two days inanely bitching about something that's essentially a non-issue & unrelated when the actual contributors answered the OP's question weeks ago. The wrinkles aren't slowing down the OP enough to be material.

You should have a neutral spine - which means the top of your head may or may not be in the water at some/all of the time. It also just depends on how each person swims.
Shorter distance = higher likelihood to have eyes a bit higher/head tilted a bit more forward/closer to hairline @ waterline, pushing the T doesn't submerge anything, you just create more of a "planing" effect. Longer distance = slightly more likely to have a lower head position, look straighter down, longer stroke. Marginal differences either way...and mostly irrelevant to open water.

Triathlon = most likely to have the shittiest, most non-relevant head position that changes with every stroke & creates enormous amounts of drag lifting entire head out of the water, not to mention the drag caused by sighting itself. Also most likely to have the bitchiest of participants, likely to over-analyze the most stupid of topics & be an internet-professional in something they're only marginally competitive in.

Prev Next