Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two Loop IM Swim Start Advice
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to complete the IMMD swim between 70 and 90 minutes depending on what kind of day I have and whether or not my calves cramp during the swim. I know, you STers will all do it in 40 minutes and your dick is bigger than mine so try to keep that out of your response.

I'm a 1:45/100 swimmer in the pool (that's down from 2:30/100 just a few months ago).

Here's the question: Since it's a two loop course, where do I start myself? I usually start in the back third of any tri. My thought, though, is am I better off starting in the middle at IMMD and racing to finish my first lap before getting trucked by the studs finishing their second lap? The further in the back I start, the better my first 400 will likely be but I'm potentially in trouble somewhere in the middle as I approach finishing my first lap while others are finishing their second.

If I start in the MOP, the start could be rougher but it's likely once we all settle in, there's less chance I'll get trucked because I'll start the second lap before too many people catch me.

My goal is two fold. First, I want to make my swim as safe as possible. Second, I don't what to get in the way of anyone who is racing this thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Loop IM Swim Start Advice [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done a 2 lap race myself so take this with a pinch of salt.

I would start exactly where you usually do.

Even with a slow swim you will be getting round to your second lap at the time only the very quickest (if any) of the FOP swimmers finish their second.

If you stay slightly off the racing line and assuming you positive split the laps, you should see no problems. Definitely less than starting MOP and having contact.

I wouldn't worry.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't start up front, try somewhere in the middle and off to the right. Stay to the right until you notice that you are swimming with the exact same people for 100 or so yards. Then slowly merge towards the middle and find your rhythm. Take advantage of as much drafting as possible.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Two Loop IM Swim Start Advice [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIM, there's no pro field, so it's just FOP amateurs that are all probably used to starting in the back during 70.3 swims. They unfortunately are all too used to passing slower "waves". I wouldn't worry about them, they will manage, its' their problem, not yours.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will have signs indicating approximate finish time. Pick where you think you will finish and start there. Don't move up past what you can do and don't start to far back, if people do this then it defeats the whole purpose of this process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be signs with finish times, start with the group that most fits your time

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Very helpful advice.
Quote Reply