Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2009 P4 value?
Quote | Reply
What's a P4 with full Dura Ace Di2 worth? I have used the blue book and what not and just kind of curious. I have the opportuinity to get one for what seems to me a good deal. I've never used the DI2's, suggestions on things to look for or anything along those lines?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: 2009 P4 value? [Domsz06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that was the very first P4, which had a few problems - seat post cracking, hard to fit regular bottles on downtube, and worse rear brake.

If so, not very much probably.

If it was the revised P4, those are excellent bikes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2009 P4 value? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

it's actually that bike there, if it helps/matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I think that was the very first P4, which had a few problems - seat post cracking, hard to fit regular bottles on downtube, and worse rear brake.

If so, not very much probably.

If it was the revised P4, those are excellent bikes.

He said it has an upgraded CF seat post as well as bars, and as you can see it already has the xlab wing and gorilla cages.

Just curious, as it looks like the wires and what not are a mess. Just trying to see what others can tell me about it as it seems like a good bike, but Trying to compare it to a new P2, and not sure you even can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the original P4. It is the seat *tube* that had failure problems, not the post.

I would try to find out if he has the newer improved rear brake. I'm not sure if you can still buy those, if you can, you can always fix that.

The seat tube will be a risk, but it is a very fast bike.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
That is the original P4. It is the seat *tube* that had failure problems, not the post.

I would try to find out if he has the newer improved rear brake. I'm not sure if you can still buy those, if you can, you can always fix that.

The seat tube will be a risk, but it is a very fast bike.

Since the seat tube is a risk, that's something that can't be fixed, as it's all incorporated into the whole bike. Did Cervelo do any kind of recall or anything?

I was looking at what the DI2 ace components run and all that jazz. Just trying to decide on the fair price and what not. Looks like it does need some work based on the thread on here, he didn't mention that.

Do you know how to tell about the new improved rear brake?

As far as the seat tube, is there signs it's cracking or failing to look for?

Thanks for your information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 2013, I really wanted a 51cm P4. I was so scared of everything that I heard, that I would only consider the 2011 models. It took me a while to find it, but with a new quarq, it cost $4k about a year ago.

I like the bike so much that I crashed it, broke it, was given a blank check to replace it with whatever I wanted, and I chose to repair it and keep riding on it.

All that noted, the 2011 model I have still has a pretty terrible rear brake. If you set it up perfectly, it works OK. Getting it setup up is a disaster, adjusting it is only a semi disaster.

Awesome bike, fast bike, long and low geometry, great for an aggressive position, not an easy bike to work on.

In summary, I think that the 2011 might be a good buy around $2k (complete bike no extras). I personally wouldn't buy a 2009 unless it was being sold to me for the value of everything but the frame.

Just no reason to do it when they worked everything out by 2011 and even then decided to abandon concept for the P5.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: 2009 P4 value? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
in 2013, I really wanted a 51cm P4. I was so scared of everything that I heard, that I would only consider the 2011 models. It took me a while to find it, but with a new quarq, it cost $4k about a year ago.

I like the bike so much that I crashed it, broke it, was given a blank check to replace it with whatever I wanted, and I chose to repair it and keep riding on it.

All that noted, the 2011 model I have still has a pretty terrible rear brake. If you set it up perfectly, it works OK. Getting it setup up is a disaster, adjusting it is only a semi disaster.

Awesome bike, fast bike, long and low geometry, great for an aggressive position, not an easy bike to work on.

In summary, I think that the 2011 might be a good buy around $2k (complete bike no extras). I personally wouldn't buy a 2009 unless it was being sold to me for the value of everything but the frame.

Just no reason to do it when they worked everything out by 2011 and even then decided to abandon concept for the P5.

Thanks for the information. So that being said what do you think those extras are worth on the bike in the link above, don't count the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know enough about the Di2 to tell you anything there (whether this is a new version or an old version or what).

I have tried to sell used take offs from a bike before. I would estimate 50% of current cost is if lucky.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
I don't know enough about the Di2 to tell you anything there (whether this is a new version or an old version or what).

I have tried to sell used take offs from a bike before. I would estimate 50% of current cost is if lucky.

Cool cool.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:

it's the 7970 DI2....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there! Just noticed this thread. I'm the one selling that bike, and I would just like to point out that it does have the upgraded rear brakes, but I never said anything about an upgraded seat post. I am completely aware that the problem was in the seat tube and having an upgraded seat post (even if there was such a thing) would do absolutely nothing for the bike. On that note, there isn't any sign of failure at this time.
Quote Reply