Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cozumel Swim Questions
Quote | Reply
Background:
I'm doing IM Cozumel this fall. I'm an adult onset swimmer and it is my weakest link. All of my races have been wetsuit legal and I haven't had any problems (other than slowness). I recently did a local 70.3 and at the last minute they told us no wetsuits. The swim was a disaster! After 100 yds I was doing breast stroke, then back to freestyle. At 200 yds back to breast stroke, then backstroke. Then I made the decision to pull the plug. I didn't panic, just made the conscious decision to get out.

The problem is without the wetsuit my legs sink like anchors. I have to kick and swim harder. It raises my heart rate and breathing rate. My form then suffers. I'm working on all of my form/balance issues, but it takes time. I have doubled my yardage in the pool since the race disaster.

The problem is all in my head. When I can't see the bottom of the lake/ocean and I have no wetsuit, all of these bad thoughts cross my mind.

So my questions are about the Coz swim. I know the course has changed to point to point with the current. How deep is the water? Can you see the bottom (even if it's too deep to touch)? I know the salt water makes you more buoyant. Does anyone know how that buoyancy compares to a wetsuit? Like is it 1/10 as buoyant as being in a wetsuit?? Any info would help. Thanks!

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel Swim Questions [Dont_Drown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can see the bottom on the entire new swim route. You can choose your water depth, swimming close to shore if you want to be able to touch (do not do this because it's not safe for you or the marine life) or further from shore, if you're afraid of touching. The coral can cut you, and some types sting. Touching harms the corals too, so don't. Twenty feet deep is about the deepest you'll probably ever be. Visibility can be up to 200 feet. You'll see beautiful fish, and every other swimmer as if you were in a clean pool.

Since all wetsuits have different buoyancy, I can't answer specifically, but you'll find a saltwater swim without wetsuit similar enough to a freshwater swim with. If you need a moment, just swim to the inside or outside, and float until you're ready to proceed. Jet skis are always nearby, and if everybody vanished, or a Kraken attacked, shore is less than 100 feet away. A coral cut, sea lice stings, swimmer's flailing arms, or a sea urchin spine are your greatest statistical risks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be in saltwater and will float like a cork, 95% its down current and it clear as gin.......don't worried about it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have zero natural buoyancy. As soon as I stop moving, I sink like a rock in the water also. However, the extra buoyancy from saltwater (almost) offsets that of not wearing a wetsuit.

I swam Cozumel last year with just a swim skin. I felt about as comfortable as I would with a wetsuit on. I'd call it a 7/10.

As far as the swim depth, it looks like they're more or less maintaining last year's course. If that's the case, you can swim to the inside and it's less than 20 feet deep. If you swim to the outside of the course (away from shore) it will probably be more like 40+ feet deep. Visibility is amazingly there. You can almost do your sighting underwater... think "My straight-line is to aim for that coral head".
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel Swim Questions [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
You can see the bottom on the entire new swim route. You can choose your water depth, swimming close to shore if you want to be able to touch (do not do this because it's not safe for you or the marine life) or further from shore, if you're afraid of touching. The coral can cut you, and some types sting. Touching harms the corals too, so don't. Twenty feet deep is about the deepest you'll probably ever be. Visibility can be up to 200 feet. You'll see beautiful fish, and every other swimmer as if you were in a clean pool.

Since all wetsuits have different buoyancy, I can't answer specifically, but you'll find a saltwater swim without wetsuit similar enough to a freshwater swim with. If you need a moment, just swim to the inside or outside, and float until you're ready to proceed. Jet skis are always nearby, and if everybody vanished, or a Kraken attacked, shore is less than 100 feet away. A coral cut, sea lice stings, swimmer's flailing arms, or a sea urchin spine are your greatest statistical risks.

Are you heading back there this year? Swim sounds really nice!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info guys! This really helps. I think just knowing that I'm ~ 100' from shore or a short swim to a spot where I can touch will get me past my mental block. Thanks!!

Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel Swim Questions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my family is registered for 2014. Ocean clarity makes communing with fishes and swimmers delightful.

Here's ESPN coverage of IMCoz 12013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wi_c-vxCkM

OP can see a couple shots of how close swim is to shore, and there are a few shots showing water clarity, but no shots of corals and fishes. Notice how all the swimmers can see each other underwater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Yes, my family is registered for 2014. Ocean clarity makes communing with fishes and swimmers delightful.

Here's ESPN coverage of IMCoz 12013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wi_c-vxCkM

OP can see a couple shots of how close swim is to shore, and there are a few shots showing water clarity, but no shots of corals and fishes. Notice how all the swimmers can see each other underwater.

Are the biggest hills on this course on the swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim more and get comfortable with it. You have couple months to do that. It's an ocean swim and anything can happen. In 2012, swimming the section with the current was even hard because of the chop.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, unlike St. Croix, which was formed on a fault by land lifting, or Kona, which is volcanic, Cozumel was a coral reef exposed by prehistoric lowering ocean levels. The highest point is less than fifty feet above sea level, and most of the bike course is around the outer perimeter of the island, maybe fifteen feet above sea level. If there's anything you want to do during the bike that benefits from coasting, there's one spot each lap where you get about ten seconds.

The East (head-windy side) can be as difficult as a hard climb, but you never get the energy back in the form of coasting, and don't get full benefit of the tail wind because the areas cyclists travel with the wind are on the West - protected side of the island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Yes, unlike St. Croix, which was formed on a fault by land lifting, or Kona, which is volcanic, Cozumel was a coral reef exposed by prehistoric lowering ocean levels. The highest point is less than fifty feet above sea level, and most of the bike course is around the outer perimeter of the island, maybe fifteen feet above sea level. If there's anything you want to do during the bike that benefits from coasting, there's one spot each lap where you get about ten seconds.

The East (head-windy side) can be as difficult as a hard climb, but you never get the energy back in the form of coasting, and don't get full benefit of the tail wind because the areas cyclists travel with the wind are on the West - protected side of the island.

Sounds like the perfect course to train on the computrainer!!!! You're tempting me but fortunately flights are insanely expensive!

Edit: Cheapest seems to be $1000 CDN, Wed to Wed. Not cheap, but not the $1700 that I saw when I first looked. Are hotels expensive and do I need a car (would rather just use my bike for transport/walk) after unpacking
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 13, 14 19:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate to your fears in my past, no longer for the most part, so thanks for reaching out.

I swam the Cozumel swim last year and agree with what everyone said:
1. It is a beach start. You could swim out to the buoys and start there, but you can also start on the beach with solid ground under your feet and take your time getting in.
2. You can see the bottom and yes closer to shore you could touch, what everyone else said, don't do that, but yes, if you had to, you could swim straight into shore.
3. A swim skin, even though not buoyant, mentally, makes me feel more comfortable and safe. no logic to that, but true.
4. I thought there was plenty of jet skis, boats, stand up paddle out there for support. I always check.
5. Salt water I feel for me is almost 8-9/10 compared to a wetsuit. It helps me to lie flat in the ocean water at first close to shore just to show myself I can float without using my arms or legs at all. . just quietly float there, and remind myself if I need to, I can just do that and be totally OK out there.
6. Go to the practice swims there to practice all that.

In my past, I had 10/10 open water fear, and like you, especially no wet suit, even in salt water. For Cozumel, I had 0/10 fear, super comfortable, felt safe the entire way. . . yes, I have worked on that for a decade but it is a great swim there. The most beautiful swim ever. Go and enjoy it.
Last edited by: highflyer: Sep 13, 14 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be able to find a flight a bit cheaper. Timing seems to be everything.

We've trained exclusively on Computrainers for Coz.

We stay at a favorite hotel for ~$60 per night within walking from finish line. We prefer to stay in town for the local flavor rather than isolated in a resort. We prefer the local cuisine. Ocean access for swim workouts can be a benefit at some resorts, but there are a few other places for practice swims.

Cars are useless in Cozumel. Don't get one! Cab from airport ~$10 USD. Bike for race week. $10 taxi race morning out in front of every hotel to T1. Rent a scooter the days after race.
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel Swim Questions [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer,

Thanks for your post. Every one of your points helps me, especially #5. I just got a speed suit and it makes a big difference for me in the pool. I will definitely go to the practice swims.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem could be all about your head... and just partly in your head. Swimming technique and preparation count for a lot in a race with or without a wetsuit. Start with thinking about your head position as it relates to your body position in swimming. Watch these amazing open water swimmers and the analysis of their head positions in part 1 and 2: http://www.theraceclub.com/...-head-position-1of2/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
DamonHenry wrote:

Sounds like the perfect course to train on the computrainer!!!! You're tempting me but fortunately flights are insanely expensive!

Edit: Cheapest seems to be $1000 CDN, Wed to Wed. Not cheap, but not the $1700 that I saw when I first looked. Are hotels expensive and do I need a car (would rather just use my bike for transport/walk) after unpacking

Are you looking at Cozumel flights? Cancun was much cheaper, and it was a reasonable shuttle and ferry trip over to Cozumel. Extra hassle was well worth the savings for a family of four. I second no rental car. We stayed at the Cozumel Palace, which was perfect location (blocks from the finish line) and the all-inclusive food was phenomenal.
Quote Reply
Re: Cozumel Swim Questions [amykhall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amy,

Thanks for the post and the links. I just watched them. I have been working on my head position. I've made progress but I know I have a ways to go.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if cancun is significantly cheaper, i will personally (likely my husband) you up at the airport and put you up here with us and take you over to Cozumel (you'll be living with crazeee :) but Zach survived...) or take you from CUN to the Playa ferry. your choice.

you will be amazed at the Cozumel race. the local support is like no other race in the world (ok, I've only ever done Coz...)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply