Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
For comparisons, my 2006 lotus elise has cost me about 2500 to maintain in 8 years (but only 32k miles). Oil changes I do myself, tires are a lot cheaper if you get them done through tire rack or similar and not the dealer (and don't go with the OEM specs) and every time it's been in the shop for repairs it's been someone else's fault or my insurance covered it. The fiberglass repairs are not cheap (been hit 3 times and I killed the front clam on a curb once. Total bills for these is over 20k). A steel body jag will be a bit easier/cheaper to repair should anything happen. Paint will be pricey, though.

Lotus Elise - now that's a drivers car! Before getting into triathlon I was a Porsche club racer and an instructor at performance driving skills. I got to drive an Elise on track and thought it was the best track car I'd ever driven. Certainly not the fastest but unbelievable balance and handling. Of course, you can't transport a bike (or anything else) with it, but what a great driving car.

To the OP, I'd suggest driving both cars and see what feels better to you. Like a tri bike, fit is everything and highly individual when it comes to cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cars OP listed are not luxury either. They're "entry level luxury", which is a class Volvo is very much a member of.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 240 was never a "luxury" car, entry level or otherwise.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I've learned anything from 15+ years of dealing in cars, it's that No, there is nobody with any car knowledge. At least nobody I've ever dealt with.

CTS coupe doesn't make much sense, why not a sedan?

I've had good luck out of Cadillac's (post 90's/early 00's Northstars) but the redesigned Jaguar got good reviews as well. One is a Chevy, one is a Ford, both are expensive to work on if something goes wrong.

If I HAD to pick between those two, I'd probably take the xf. If a sedan CTS instead of a coupe, then that. Even better, the CTS V wagon.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The old volvos were great cars, not sure if I'd put them in the "luxury" category, but great cars. I always liked the 240, especially the wagon. The newer ones since they became part of ford slipped a bit and lost some of their Volvo character, IMO. Not sure if they're better or worse now since ford sold them off to a Chinese company.

Ya, my 240 is def not a "luxury" car but figured since jackmott was suggesting the Honda Fit, i'd throw the Volvo out there. Agree that they may have lost some of their character over the past 20 yrs or so, which is why i still prefer the older ones. You can buy an 80s 240 for $2000 or so which is a steal IMO:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that Volvo has been moving towards the luxury segment over the last 15-20 years, the Volvos of 2014 are much more in the luxury segment the a volvo from 1985.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
I believe that Volvo has been moving towards the luxury segment over the last 15-20 years, the Volvos of 2014 are much more in the luxury segment the a Volvo from 1985.

Ya, the 85 Volvo was much more of a "bare bones" sort of car as compared to the more upscale models of 2014.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course... very true.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's a Ford? The '11 Jag XF is not a Ford platform.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had one of these when I was a kid. It was awesome to a kid. After school everyone would come out to watch it lift up after it was started.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:
CTS-V wagon w/6 speed trans.

This is pretty much the only answer I'll accept on this forum.

That being said I'm a wagon guy and love my Jetta sportwagen TDI. I keep thinking about selling it for an S4 3.0T but then I can't give up the hauling capacity and the 40+mpg.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spider wrote:
What's a Ford? The '11 Jag XF is not a Ford platform.

ahh yes, they sold again in the late 00's I suppose.

Read the first line of my original post again for clarification.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
I'm considering a 2015 Golf TDI. Mistake?

Yes, big mistake! You should buy the 2011 I'm about to sell. Brilliant little car.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
xc800runner wrote:

For comparisons, my 2006 lotus elise has cost me about 2500 to maintain in 8 years (but only 32k miles). Oil changes I do myself, tires are a lot cheaper if you get them done through tire rack or similar and not the dealer (and don't go with the OEM specs) and every time it's been in the shop for repairs it's been someone else's fault or my insurance covered it. The fiberglass repairs are not cheap (been hit 3 times and I killed the front clam on a curb once. Total bills for these is over 20k). A steel body jag will be a bit easier/cheaper to repair should anything happen. Paint will be pricey, though.

Lotus Elise - now that's a drivers car! Before getting into triathlon I was a Porsche club racer and an instructor at performance driving skills. I got to drive an Elise on track and thought it was the best track car I'd ever driven. Certainly not the fastest but unbelievable balance and handling. Of course, you can't transport a bike (or anything else) with it, but what a great driving car.

To the OP, I'd suggest driving both cars and see what feels better to you. Like a tri bike, fit is everything and highly individual when it comes to cars.

I really think there's a Lotus in my future.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

I'm usually one all for new cars.. I had the very first jetta 1.8t in the US and I had one of the first 150 Audi A3s in the US.. So not only first cars but first VAG products.

The 2015 Golf is the new MQB platform and some of the first cars off the revised assembly line in Mexico (I have no problem with their assembly in Mexico and I say this being a former VW tech), I'm not sure if the diesel engines are being built there but if so that is also a new engine plant (that might just be the 1.8t and 2.0t). Diesels can be very expensive to own and maintain and they had some growing pains with the first version of the 2.0 common rail in the US markets, mine has been flawless for 65k miles and 3 years this week but the early ones had issues. I'd honestly give the Golf some time especially if in the market for a diesel and see how they do. The MQB platform is great, a friend just sold his 2012 Passat TDI (US built) and picked up a 2015 GTI and is loving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if I had stupid spending money, it would have to be an Audi RS6 Avant V-10

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your recap of repairs to your X3 is further reinforcement for buying Asian over European. My Mitsubishi Overlander (similar size and power to the X3) also has 70,000 miles. Other than regular fluid/filter changes, I have replaced a battery, tires, spark plugs and brakes since I have owned it. Admittedly, the spark plug replacement would have been spendy if I took it to a shop. I bought it used (26,000) miles for about 1/2 of the MSRP.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with some car knowledge? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
geetee wrote:

I'm usually one all for new cars.. I had the very first jetta 1.8t in the US and I had one of the first 150 Audi A3s in the US.. So not only first cars but first VAG products.

The 2015 Golf is the new MQB platform and some of the first cars off the revised assembly line in Mexico (I have no problem with their assembly in Mexico and I say this being a former VW tech), I'm not sure if the diesel engines are being built there but if so that is also a new engine plant (that might just be the 1.8t and 2.0t). Diesels can be very expensive to own and maintain and they had some growing pains with the first version of the 2.0 common rail in the US markets, mine has been flawless for 65k miles and 3 years this week but the early ones had issues. I'd honestly give the Golf some time especially if in the market for a diesel and see how they do. The MQB platform is great, a friend just sold his 2012 Passat TDI (US built) and picked up a 2015 GTI and is loving it.

Thanks; all points I've considered. I'm currently driving a 2005 Scion xB, and while I love the utility (I can fit two bikes upright inside) and reliability (I'm almost to 175K and have only needed routine maintenance) I'd like something with a) cruise and b) a more refined/quieter highway ride that still gets good highway mileage.

Also considering the '15 Honda Fit (which is also built in Mexico), but I have a feeling it'll be closer to my Scion than the Golf.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack.
Quote Reply

Prev Next