Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nasty water bottle caps....
Quote | Reply
What is the preferred method to clean the inside of water bottle caps. I use Purist bottles and caps on the bike and Nathan squirt style caps for running. Both of these get really nasty black crap.. mold? inside them after a while and it is really hard to get them clean. Thought about boiling them? Anyone have a good method? I realize I could simply replace them but they're not cheap and neither company sells just the caps?

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dishwasher?

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dishwasher is fine for the bottles but it will not get the crap out of all the crevices in the caps....

BCDon wrote:
Dishwasher?

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The plastic won't tolerate boiling water well.

Disassemble them and scrub with dish soap and a toothbrush; let dry; and snap back together.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you washing them after every use?

Also, occasionally I'll fill the sink with a bleach/water mixture and put in all my bottles/caps
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soak in bleach (rinse well before use)
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
Are you washing them after every use?

Ha, every use...? Bleach is not a bad idea...

Also, occasionally I'll fill the sink with a bleach/water mixture and put in all my bottles/caps

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm such a cheapskate. When I see anything the least bit ugly; I give a shot of the spray bleach stuff (Clorox "clean-up") we keep under the kitchen sink for cleaning cutting boards, etc. I spray in the bottle while I'm at it. Let it sit awhile, then use a bottle brush and some running water. Rinse, rinse, let drip dry and good to go. Note: Any mix that has protein will "stick" and form that nasty stuff much quicker - best to just do the above technique after each use. Otherwise, on bottles that I mix my favorite Cytomax I won't bother with the bleach technique for quite a while (did I mention that I'm lazy too?).

Good luck in Kona.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I'm such a cheapskate. When I see anything the least bit ugly; I give a shot of the spray bleach stuff (Clorox "clean-up") we keep under the kitchen sink for cleaning cutting boards, etc. I spray in the bottle while I'm at it. Let it sit awhile, then use a bottle brush and some running water. Rinse, rinse, let drip dry and good to go. Note: Any mix that has protein will "stick" and form that nasty stuff much quicker - best to just do the above technique after each use. Otherwise, on bottles that I mix my favorite Cytomax I won't bother with the bleach technique for quite a while (did I mention that I'm lazy too?).

Good luck in Kona.

Thanks! 38 days...? Good advise on keeping a spray bottle handy! :)

D

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Miltons to disinfect (let cap soak in it for a while). Then toothbrush to get the gunk out.

(Miltons is a product used to disinfect babies bottles)
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miltons is just watered down bleach with some table salt sprinkled in!
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposedly denture cleaning tablets work... not given them an adequate trial yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use bleach. It will destroy the plastic and rubber over time. The dishwasher won't clean it completely.

Rinse them out well, fill them back up with water with a little baking soda in it and squirt it through the bottle top. Rinse with fresh water and take it apart to dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clorox Clean up with bleach is what I've been using for years.

Put caps in a bowl of water, spray them good and let them sit for a while.

Fill water bottles with water and give them a few sprays and let them sit for a while too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie[b wrote:
]Don't use bleach. It will destroy the plastic and rubber over time.[/b] The dishwasher won't clean it completely.

Perhaps an incredibly long time but tell that to all the bottles I've treated with ~ 10% bleach solution many dozens of times over their 10+ year use spans. I keep a squeeze bottle of diluted bleach solution right over the sink for disinfecting bottles, cutting boards, counters etc.. Please keep this in a really safe place if you have little ones around at any time. I use use cheap old unscented chlorine laundry bleach diluted to ~ a 10% concentration with tap water. A bit of scrubbing with a bottle brush and or tooth brush helps with really nasty gunk. Rinse well afterwards and you're good to go.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Clorox Clean up with bleach is what I've been using for years.

Put caps in a bowl of water, spray them good and let them sit for a while.

Fill water bottles with water and give them a few sprays and let them sit for a while too.

jaretj

x2

I just spray the inside with Clorox Clean, let it sit for a minute, or two, then scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse with water. Works fine and I haven't noticed deterioration of bottle or components.

I'm guessing that if you left that bleach solution in there overnight, it'd eat away at the bottle and its components.
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baking soda and white vinegar cleans almost as well and is not a poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
Baking soda and white vinegar cleans almost as well and is not a poison.

Hey I want to poison those beasties!!!!!!!!!!!!!. A quick double rinse knocks the concentration left in the bottle to way less than in chlorinated water but I suspect you avoid that at all costs too;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
Dishwasher is fine for the bottles but it will not get the crap out of all the crevices in the caps....

BCDon wrote:
Dishwasher?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I toss both my bottles and caps in the dishwasher after every use (like I would any other food container). I never have any issue at all with them being clean. Never even gave it a second thought, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Nasty water bottle caps.... [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same... just throw them in the dishwasher and I haven't died yet :)

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This.

After every use - particularly for the spout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every 2-3 uses I throw my bottles in the dishwasher and the caps in the utensil basket thing...since doing that..no mildew-y spots..

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kits they make for cleaning baby bottles are actually great for cleaning bike/nutrition bottles. They usually come with a bottle brush plus a couple other small brush/picks designed for tight spaces. Also recommend baby bottle drying racks for drying bike/nutrition bottles as well. We have one which looks like blades of grass and can hold pretty much any bottle upright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you've cleaned them, next time and every time you wash/rinse them, throw them in the freezer immediately - as with Camelbak bladders, freezing will help prevent mold forming from any sugary residue left over.

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply