Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Dad Training Advice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more thing to look forward to as a new Dad - you will most likely get sick a lot more than you're used to. Before my first child was born, I didn't get sick for about 5 yrs. In the first 2-3 yrs of fatherhood I got sick about 3-4x. Little kids don't care about hygiene and are constantly touching everything and putting their fingers in their mouths. Your kid is going to get sick quite a lot when they're young as they build up their immune systems, and guess what - you're probably going to get it too.

Lack of sleep and stress probably also play a big part in new parents getting sick as well. So try to take care of yourself as much as you can and get your zzzz's (easier said than done). Taking care of young kids is hard enough without fighting an illness at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Hey all,

My wife and I recently became parents and I am trying to figure out how this whole triathlon thing fits in. Obviously, I gather that I am going to have to manage my time more effectively, be flexible, and cut my training hours back. My current training load is usually between 15-18 hrs and pretty unfocused. I was wondering if anyone could share an effective week's training schedule for IM or HIM (like a rough skeleton) or any other tips to help a new dad.

Thanks!

This is not a life is over event here. Figure out how to get the training in. It is not hard.

You know when it is hard? When you have multiple kids and they are into sports and want to hang out.

A brand new baby (especially if it is just one) is a breeze. Come back to this post 5 years from now when you multiple kids.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [gb22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loads of great training and life advice as a new parent, especially echo the >1 kids comments =) But, this is Slowtwitch, so someone should probably throw some chum in the water.

I don't get the impression many posters on this thread have gone say, sub 9:30 IM or KQ'd with a young family? Because from what I've seen and heard over the last few years, this normally involves some significant abdicating of parenting responsibility to partners. I occasionally look upon them with a little envy, but then I catch myself. In fact, I don't know how some of these guys stay married.

I hope the OP is getting some good 'sleep blocks' in ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2012 IMCDA - 9:38
2012 IMKona - 9:25
2013 IMCDA - 9:12
2013 IMWI - 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree.