Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Dallas metroplex 140.6
Quote | Reply
Forgive me for asking this, but is there a reason that WTC or some independent race company has not come in to Dallas to set up a late or early season full race? It seems that there are plenty of sites this could happen, and that the tri-community in this area would support such a race. Right now the closest full event is Redman, past that you are looking at IMTX. Texas has a ton of 70.3 events and some fulls, but focusing on DFW is there any reason WTC stays away?

While I type this I realize WTC is probably just waiting on someone to put in all the work to get the event going and then they'll just buy it...
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where? No great places to swim, roads are generally bad, weather late and early season are very unpredictable.
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [notwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I live here and wouldn't sign up for that race. That and everyone would complain about the roads and wind until no one signed up and it went away. Not worth the investment.
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [notwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious what answers people throw out. There are places to swim that equal a lot of other cities, and bad roads is hardly unique to DFW.

I would think cost and logistics are a factor. There's no way you can have it near the actual city like a lot of triathlons do, it's just too populated and dense to close down that many roads.

You could do what tough mudder and popular bike races do and have it 50-100 miles away and still call it Dallas. That would hardly be a destination race.
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lived 17 years in Dallas. One year The Lifetime US Open tri started in Joe Pool lake, biked up to the AA Center in downtown, then the 10k was along katy trail. If they wanted to do a 140.6, I'd say start in Joe Pool lake, extended the bike to utilize more of the southern part of Dallas roads (more of your 2 lane, RM country roads and then eventually heading up to the AA Center, then running the Dallas Marathon route around White Rock Lake, that would be somewhat nice. Would require the long really long distance split transition, but logistically, I don't remember that being that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon in Dallas is HS Football on Friday night, UT Football on Saturday and the Cowboys on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: No Dallas metroplex 140.6 [daltri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US open only lasted 2-3 years with the Joe Pool to downtown route, and only one year with the run going through downtown. The second and third year had the 10k doing an out & back on the Katy Trail pedestrian trail. Even with using a pedestrian trail & no intersections, the bike & run logistics were too expensive for just the 10k.

Considering most of us won't do the Prairieman half iron distance here in September, it'd be tough to get a full iron distance going without putting a big red MDot on the race.
Quote Reply