Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flat IM power, keep it steady or mix it up?
Quote | Reply
Is it a bad idea to try to vary power a little bit on a flat IM instead of just riding the same watts from start to finish?

I was looking for IM long ride workouts last week trying to break the monotony a little bit and found this video with Chris Lieto where he suggested this workout: 30min easy, 4 x 1h (10min sub IM pace, 40min IM pace, 10min HIM), 30 min warm down.
So I decided to try it out and my version was this: 30min 60%FTP warm up, 4 x 1h as (10min @ 65%, 40min @75%, 10min @85%), 30min @60% FTP. My surprise was that at the end of this was feeling much fresher than previous week when I did a straight 5h ride @ ~73%. As far as total intensity I was around .73 IF on both rides (.726 doing intervals and .734 straight) and my overall speed was close 21.5 vs 21.6mph

My list of pros for this kind of strategy is:
- you ease into it starting at a very comfortable pace
- you can refuel and absorb nutrition better during the 10min recovery intervals @65%
- it's less boring
- you have some 30 min at the end to get ready for the run, stretch, refuel etc...

This is my first IM so this may be a stupid idea :)
Quote Reply
Re: Flat IM power, keep it steady or mix it up? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For training rides, yes, great idea to throw some intervals in. None of my rides are that flat and I don't do flat IM races, so I always train some variability.

For racing, no, you hold whatever power target you need and vary only for conditions (wind, hills, turns).

You probably felt fresher this week because you have more fitness now. I find my freshness also varies with how well I executed nutrition, where I am in my training block and weather conditions.

I'e also notice the same, feeling better when I have more variability in long rides. BUT... my legs told me when I got home which I could run better off of.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fastest way across a flat course is constant power.

that is the reality of the physics and physiology. believe that and plan accordingly.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vary the workouts (easy/hard...just a little "medium")

Race at constant intensity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Constant power for the most part (it may vary if you have wind or have low spots during the race) ... BUT ... vary cadence slighty by picking periods of time every 30min to use a cadence above AND / OR below you base cadence. Make sure you do this in training as well

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my best IM when I did LOOONG steady efforts. When I tended towards variability, it didn't go as well. I think it had to do with race practice more than physiology. I was probably fitter with variability but couldn't execute. Something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat IM power, keep it steady or mix it up? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the fastest way across a flat course is constant power.

that is the reality of the physics and physiology. believe that and plan accordingly.

He could mess with his gearing, spin above 100 for a while, change gears push a bigger and so forth to break things up.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat IM power, keep it steady or mix it up? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure he realizes that. Do you realize that you can maintain constant power throughout a race AND constantly vary cadence/gearing throughout?
Quote Reply