Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Picking up the pieces. [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sympathise.

Qualified for Kona for the first time 2010. 4 weeks out, bike vs van, and the van came out on top. Broke my back, bunch of ribs, bike not in good shape. couldn't even go to Kona as somewhat immobile, never mind racing.

New bike, 2012, requalified, and raced it. Loved every second, and probably appreciated it all the more for the long road to getting there.

good luck with the recovery. It's tough, but you did it once, you can do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [dalestephanos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not nearly the same level of emotional hit but this year I was poised to do my first full season of semi committed bike racing. Up to this point I had just dabbled a bit. I'd hooked up with a great bunch of guys, I had just upgraded to cat 4 and then the day before the first race of the season I crashed and broke my collar bone and was off the bike for 6 weeks. While I did do a couple races late in the season, I never came close to getting back to where I was and missed out on a huge amount of fun over the summer so it was pretty disappointing. But, I'm really glad though I stuck with it and made a few appearances, even if I was not competitive.

Depending on the severity of your injuries, you might be able to still make an appearance at Kona. It likely will not be pretty but don't give up just yet. Give it a few weeks and evaluate then.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! That really sucks! I hope you have a speedy recovery and come back even stronger....

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
March 2, 2014 - crashed while taking part in the Ride for MS out of Key Largo. Grade 5 shoulder separation, concussion (helmet did its job and kept me alive), surgery to repair the shoulder, and a pulmonary embolism three days after surgery. I missed two IMs and two 70.3's. But the picture I keep in my mind is of the paramedic handing me my helmet in the ambulance - it was cracked six inches. Hurt sucks...being dead REALLY sucks. You have achieved more than most of us will ever experience (I'm 57 by the way) and you can wrap yourself in those memories as you heal and grow stronger. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [ideacre8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the kind words and similar tales of misfortune. It definitely helps to know there are plenty of other people who have been there and turned the experience into a positive.

If the future winner of the mens 50-54 AG at 70.3 worlds is reading this congrats! I'm coming for you next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your post yesterday and felt just terrible about it. I wanted to contribute to the conversation but did not because everything that I thought to say seemed so inadequate.

Personally, I lost a year of triathlon because of hip surgery and it ended up being the best thing that ever happened. I was so motivated when I came back that I started doing things that I have never done before: top 10 AG finishes, PRs every time that I showed up for a 70.3 and then this year, qualifying for the 70.3 worlds in Mont Tremblant.

Then this morning, while on my last easy ride before leaving for MT it happened to me. I crashed heavily and sustained a broken shoulder blade. Just like you, everything ended in an instant when I was in the best shape of my life.

I am still going to MT. Qualifying for me was the big deal, racing there, the experience. I want to feel the atmosphere and emotion around the event and I want to know what it looks like to be world champ.

I am also going for motivation. Because like you, I see this only as a temporary setback. I will come back better and faster and I will take this experience as the fire that keeps me going on what will now be insanely long trainer rides this winter.

I think that you summed it up really well when you said that in the grand scheme of things this is so trivial. It could have been worse, I am alive, I have a home and a family and an amazing group of friends. But damn. DAMN.

And yes, the bike is ok...

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my left elbow (got doored) Aug 16, about 6 weeks before Kona 2011 and it healed in time, although I did wear a brace for the ride and run. I don't know about ribs (I broke a small one years ago and was able to run within a few weeks). They make immersable casts nowadays, too.

If you want to go to Kona and start, go and start however you can. The pressure to win or place high is gone, but you can still take in as much of the experience as you can. And if it hurts or is injuring you further, stop.

They have wonderful ART people there to work with you in the five days before the race and beautiful salt water for your swim.

By the way, I got a 3-minute PR.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, so sorry. What an awful feeling. I'm glad you'll squeeze some kind of positive from this.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, so sorry to hear. I saw a guy at Worlds who had the broken colar bone. Did it on his last ride also before worlds.

I talked to lots of folks during the last week and told them what a wuss I was because I basically only do my bike training
on the trainer now. Might be boring, but if works for Andy Potts and many others. The stories in these threads just
continue to keep me riding my bike inside.

Go get them next season!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dale - You are too good at this and too hopelessly devoted to not be back for more once the pieces are picked up. Injuries, mechanicals, and other things out of our control are part of the game unfortunately. You only win from this if you come back for more when you are better than ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rich. Good luck this weekend.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply

Prev Next