Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Fish Tales [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:
...Tiki Swim ... I guess I did as I placed first in 57:40. ... fantastic hand carved mini Tiki awards.
I wondered if you would do this. (I figured there was no way you wouldn't... even if you would have had to strap both your legs together!) Congrats. Pics or it didn't happen.
Heh! Yeah, how could I pass it up? Results are up! I was 14th overall. I figured I lost a good minute or more on the start, plus there was a large breaker I got a bit crushed on, which I normally would have been further out and avoided had I been able to run out better. There was an even larger one - 5/6 foot that I made under, but I'm sure knocked quite a few back. Out in the deep water, the rollers were huge and seemed to be coming from two directions which made for quite a roller coaster swim. Easy to get seasick in, I'm sure. Once we reached the harbor entrance, those waves were bouncing back off the rock jetty which made for exciting choppy swim. After that, smooth harbor water to the finish.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Tales [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice tiki! I am glad you could race.

11 mi on Saturday, 7.1 mi and 4 mi bike (errand) on Sunday.

8 mi run and 3000 yds this morning

4 x [200 on 3:00 + 50 kick on 1:30]
3 x [100 fast + 50 sidestroke/50 kick + 200 fast + 50 sidestroke/50 kick] --- 100s 1:17, 1:16, 1:15 ; 200s 2:45, 2:35, 2:32
500 c/d every 5th 50 backstroke

I am 6.2 miles behind in the FLOG...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HS... I got to get me down there for that next year! Let's stay in touch on that one. Btw, I am 'out' for the 10k nationals OWS in Livermore (doing Victoria 70.3)... but I am in for the 2 mile Nationals at Foster Lake June 27th. And the Tiki of course.

Quote | Reply
You got it... I can even host. You too, TC! The event producer said next year will be better than ever - he has something big up his sleeve.

Looking forward to the OW10k Nationals and possibly the Foster Lake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2900scm tonight.
Nice long warmup then
Main set 4x300 as
300 swim -12.5 fast 12.5 easy (3:55)
300 pull descend by 100's
300 kick moderate
300 threshold (3:38)

Then a bunch of 25's alt ez/fast

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Tales [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fish skills for about an hour tonight, then (with the prep group):
300ez
200 fr/bk/br/fr
100kick
6x(50swim breath every 7th stroke, 2x25 kick fast)
4x(4x25 descend) first one four breaths, second one three, etc
2x(2x75) first one bk/br/free second one kick/fr/overkick free
100 ez
2000scy

First morning practice tomorrow..coach said it'll be all back and free for me, and to expect to get my ass kicked. But hey, that's why I'm doing this, I need to get faster, I lost my race this past weekend in the water and that can't happen.

HS, nice race!!!!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Tales [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WooHoo! I squeaked in the last few yards to make this month's challenge!

I swam at Corona Del Mar again (nearly every Tuesday) and once again, I took over coaching duties for the group. I had them do, and joined them for a 600 yard warm-up and then I swam out past the surfbreak and had them beach start, swim around me, beach exit, run around the lifeguard tower then repeat twice more. They were tired puppies on that third one! They were getting slow on their entry, sloppy on their dolphin leaps and worse sighting - swimming all over the place. One guy didn't realize for about 20 strokes that he had changed direction nearly 90 degrees! So I think this is a good thing to do every Tuesday. We then did 900 yard cool down.

1500 OW yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jealous of the OW swim

7.5 mi run
3200 yds. Broke in one of my new $5 suits with my favourite set...

100, 50 kick, 200, 50 kick, 300, 50 kick w/u
20 x 100 on 1:20 all 1:13 - 1:14
3 x 50 kick swim kick
300 c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Tales [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:55 AM practice with the group
400ez
300drill/swim
200pull
100 fr/bk/br/fr
6x100pull
12x75 (odds-25drill/50 swim free, evens 50fr/25back)
12x25 (breath 3/2/1/0 by 25)
100ez
20x100 (3 hard swim, 2 hard kick, all with fins. 1-5bk, 6-10fr, etc)
300ez

5200scy

...ouch

Volume wasn't bad for me, but I was busting tail to make the slow group intervals. Quality day for me though..I don't usually get good swims like this in. Also, it was nice to not have to plan a workout; instead I just did whatever was written up on the whiteboard.

Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Tales [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where do you swim that you can get in so early???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I live there's a "system" of three YMCAs, and one (usually the same one) opens 45 minutes earlier than all the others all year (minus maintenance week, when they open a different one early). Usually opens at 4:45, I don't have too far of a drive so I wake up twenty minutes before and I'm there early.

They keep it open late too, because there's 5 high schools and a year round group (which has 3 smaller groups within it) that all fight for pool time for about 5 months of the year. Not uncommon for a team to get out of the water at 10PM and have morning practice at 4:45!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The month is over.
Big congrats to ericmulk who put in 310000 yards - over 10k per day average. Probably the largest yardage done in a month... ever! Really amazing Eric.
Congrats to Scot and JasoninHalifax (and my own self-patting on the back) for breaking this month's goal of 70,000 yards.
The rest of you.... kick it up a notch in October!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a few weeks off, but the gang is back together for 6 AM swims at the Y.

5 of us on Monday. The water was crazy warm, so we kept the sets relatively ahort as follows (all in scm):
- 500 free warm-up
- 6 x 50 kick with board on 1:20
- 5 x 100 pull with paddles on 1:45
- 16 x 50 IM order on 1:10

I had to go to work at the conclusion of the (16) 50's. The other guys kept going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
The month is over.
Big congrats to ericmulk who put in 310000 yards - over 10k per day average. Probably the largest yardage done in a month... ever! Really amazing Eric.
Congrats to Scot and JasoninHalifax (and my own self-patting on the back) for breaking this month's goal of 70,000 yards.
The rest of you.... kick it up a notch in October!

don't pat yourself on the back, you're gonna cause your sciatica to flare up...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next