Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GP 4000s or 4000s II
Quote | Reply
Putting them on an 808 firecrest and super9. Has there been any RR tests for the II version yet?
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure. But I've heard there are some sidewall issues on the II. I'd stick with the S for now.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay thanks,

What size latex valve do I need to fit the super 9?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best off with a 36mm Michelin latex tube, that what I have ordered
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Not sure. But I've heard there are some sidewall issues on the II. I'd stick with the S for now.

Are they still selling the 4000S? I have not purchased the II's based on the issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, I just bought two of them but saving them for closer to race date. I don't want to have issues with these tires. How prevalent is this sidewall issue?
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Are they still selling the 4000S? I have not purchased the II's based on the issues.

Well you can always just purchase the Force for the rear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use the 4000s and switched to 4000s II this year. I not sure I believe the side wall issue. The pics someone posted before here would have punctured any tire. I used at USAT AG Nat's Olympic this year and went 2 min faster on the bike compared to last year. I don't attribute this to the tires as there are other variables that are responsible for this; my point is that I think they are very similar to the old ones. I have now raced them at USAT Olympic & Worlds Olympic & Sprint with no issues whatsoever and had good races at all these events with them. I ride 808 FC / zipp carbon disc (super 9?). I have not noticed any difference. This is obviously an n=1 and anecdotal. I am not aware of any good data on them.
Last edited by: Dnowak: Sep 1, 14 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Really, I just bought two of them but saving them for closer to race date. I don't want to have issues with these tires. How prevalent is this sidewall issue?

Have used 4000S II's all year on my road bikes without issue. My guess is like all things on the internet, a few loud voices convince everyone there is an epidemic of issues, while the silent majority just use their tires without complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
best off with a 36mm Michelin latex tube, that what I have ordered

I agree. I use sealant so the michelin doesnt work for me (non-removable core). I use vittoria latex with 51mm and I just have enough clearance for the crackpipe.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
avikoren1 wrote:

Have used 4000S II's all year on my road bikes without issue. My guess is like all things on the internet, a few loud voices convince everyone there is an epidemic of issues, while the silent majority just use their tires without complaints.

Good…i didn't want to have to figure out what I was going to use once I couldn't get my hands on the first version.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen one failed 4000s II sidewall in real life, and have heard of a TopLocal rider here having that issue a couple times.

I think either there was/is a bad batch OR maybe some rims tend to cut up those sidewalls perhaps. Not sure.

I know my wife and I have used them all race season without having any issues.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I read they are the same exact tire except for the new sizes and color options. Was my source wrong on this one?
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
I thought I read they are the same exact tire except for the new sizes and color options. Was my source wrong on this one?

no one is totally sure. they seem exactly the same to me.

that wouldn't mean it is impossible that some defect occurred in the new tire during some period of time though

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden exclusively 4000s for 6 years and have gotten the occasional flat, never a sidewall issue. 3rd ride on a 4000sII (20mm front) this spring and a small sidewall failure occurred and I flatted. I have one more and I'm hesitant to even use it.

That being said, the 23mm 4000sII I have used in 3 races so far this season and going strong.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ripped a sidewall last saturday on an SII but it's more likely from my style of riding than tire construction.

Riding across gravel patches to get from paved trails to roads can take it's toll on tires.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to know exactly. I'd been super happy and flat free on 4000s over the last couple years and got some IIs this year. I lost one tire to a sidewall puncture (big nail) and another to a large cut between the tread and sidewall. Seems like a small sample size and either of those events might have happened on the 4000s, but does seem a touch suspicious. I'm certainly not seeing any advantage to the IIs over the 4000s given that I wanted black 23s anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same tire. The II just brings color options. Buy whichever you can get a better deal on... if you can still find the S.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 4000s or 4000s II [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Bingo

700 x 25 4000s II's have been on my bike all year - bad pavement, potholes, long stretches on gravel and dirt roads. Moderate amount of miles - no problems all year. My wife's been training (big miles) on a set of 700 x 23's. Between the two of us we have had two on-the-road flats this year. Which is about average for us

After riding all the top tires over the last number of years, I've really been impressed.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply