Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by almostironmatt
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [mattfloyd79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach-yes absolutely. Keeps you from guessing each day. The wife thing, do your workouts early before she gets up or at least start them early so you are not gone all day. Prioritize, For example: you have a 3 hour ride followed by a 30 minute run after. All your tri pals are meeting at 7am doing the same thing then grabbing a Starbucks after. This means with all the travel to the meet spot, workout and coffee after and the drive home its now like 1pm and the day is half gone. Get up at the crack of dawn and get rolling once its light out (530am??) and you are done and home at 9a-ish. Its really fun and stuff hanging out with the tri geeks but she's gonna be pissed if it is happening all the time. I prioritize all the time like this. Especially if you have kids in sports etc...I get asked to do the local winter time trial series thing which is 1-2 nights a week during the winter. Awesome, would love to but that means I am gone all day then come home and out the door again. Again, its a blast and fun to hang but you are gone again and it gets old. I try to get some stuff in during lunch break like if you have an early am swim and a run. Do the run at lunch so you are home for dinner etc...Don't forget the Ironman training doesn't just stop when the workout stops. You are constantly filling bottles, prepping for the next day, looking for bibs, shorts, etc....That crap takes time too! If she buys it, sell her on a vacation somewhere really cool but maybe there "just" happens to be a half iron there you can do for prep. That worked with my wife for a half dozen years but she figured the scam out. Kidding aside its not bad and my wife and three kids support me but you gotta make sacrifices elsewhere. Some guys wanna do a century ride then a 30 minute run, come home and plop themselves on the couch later. That really doesn't fly. Ironman Louisville is an awesome race, you will love it. Good luck with your training and hire a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with hiring a coach, especially your first venture into ironman. Again, I agree with tribuck on the time management issues as well. You will need to get creative such as running or biking to kids events and other social activities. I have done IMLOU three times and believe the bike course is very underrated in terms of difficulty. It could have been due to heat but the "rolling" hills take it's toll. With that said, bike, bike and then bike more in training and you will do great. IMLOU is a great race and hopefully with the date change it will get it's due. Have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a recent similar thread with some good tips:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=5214508;

A coach isn't necessary. If you are lost on what to do, get a book. If you are still lost, maybe think about a coach? A book is cheaper. Plus, "give a man a fish....." that whole thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friendly female advice... two words: couples' massages. you'll need them anyway. might as well get "good hubby" points while you're at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hire a coach a def that is unless you have the time to make workouts for yourself? .....indoor trainer rides became more time effect for me as well, then you don't even have to wait for sun to come up.

Going to IMLO as well will be 2nd IM for me!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: nebeachbum: Sep 1, 14 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
Here's a recent similar thread with some good tips:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=5214508;

A coach isn't necessary. If you are lost on what to do, get a book. If you are still lost, maybe think about a coach? A book is cheaper. Plus, "give a man a fish....." that whole thing.

Agreed. The world seems to think you need a coach to do any "milestone" event (marathon, IM, etc). You don't, especially for your first, IMO. Plenty of great books out there and online plans. Heck, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send you a plan a buddy sent me this year. Maps everything out for you.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think having a coach comes down to goals, if your trying to just finish and time does not matter don't get a coach saves you 1-3k. If you have time in your day to research workouts and put together a training plan, don't get a coach, this could also be fun to do! I have run multiple marathons and always got to the starting line somewhat injured, got a coach for first IM (used my brother which did keep costs low) and got to starting line without any major injures this yr. My 2 cents.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether you go for a coach or not depends on your goals. If you just want to complete/finish then you can read some books and put together a plan that will get you to the finish line (which by the way there is a significantly shorter cutoff for in 2015 due to the late start). You didn't mention if you have been involved in triathlon for a while or if this is your first triathlon period - if it's your first you may want to look at a coach if you are concerned about making the cutoff. If you want to compete then I'd say go for a coach, especially if you have a family/kids and work full time, it takes the stress out of trying to develop a plan and having to make adjustments when unexpected things come up - plus it offers accountability.

As for advise for getting your wife onboard... can't help you there - other than to try to get her involved in triathlons or running events if she isn't already. I got my husband into triathlons when we first started dating so he gets it and I don't have to justify my long training hours - and we purposely don't have kids yet because my current triathlon goals don't allow that (having a kid when I am doing IM's in 2014, 2015 & 2016 just isn't going to happen... guess after all that I owe him a first born).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
Whether you go for a coach or not depends on your goals. If you just want to complete/finish then you can read some books and put together a plan that will get you to the finish line (which by the way there is a significantly shorter cutoff for in 2015 due to the late start). You didn't mention if you have been involved in triathlon for a while or if this is your first triathlon period - if it's your first you may want to look at a coach if you are concerned about making the cutoff. If you want to compete then I'd say go for a coach, especially if you have a family/kids and work full time, it takes the stress out of trying to develop a plan and having to make adjustments when unexpected things come up - plus it offers accountability.

As for advise for getting your wife onboard... can't help you there - other than to try to get her involved in triathlons or running events if she isn't already. I got my husband into triathlons when we first started dating so he gets it and I don't have to justify my long training hours - and we purposely don't have kids yet because my current triathlon goals don't allow that (having a kid when I am doing IM's in 2014, 2015 & 2016 just isn't going to happen... guess after all that I owe him a first born).

What does this mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This means that you do not have 17 hours to complete the race at Louisville in 2015. When you signed up for IM Louisville you had to sign a waiver (check the box) that explained this. The cut off is still at midnight despite the late start. So depending on when you start you could have only 15:45.

Elisha
Last edited by: f_ahsile04: Sep 1, 14 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
This means that you do not have 17 hours to complete the race at Louisville in 2015. When you signed up for IM Louisville you had to sign a waiver (check the box) that explained this. The cut off is a midnight despite the late start.

Thank you.
What is the new start time?
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the IRONMAN website:

"Due to the late season calendar position and time of sunrise, IRONMAN Louisville athletes will have less than 17 hours to complete the event as a result of the later start time of approximately 7:30 a.m. for age group athletes... With the rolling swim start, we expect all athletes to be in the water by 8:15 a.m. All athletes will get 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim. The official finish line cut-off for IRONMAN Louisville will be midnight, regardless of when you start the race. Intermediate cut-offs will be in place throughout the race."

Unfortunately, from what I'm gathering from the IM LOU Facebook page it's looking like those worried about the cut off are planning to be first in line for the swim, which could lead to a disastrous swim start with the stronger swimmers/athletes having to swim over the slower ones the entire swim.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:

"Due to the late season calendar position and time of sunrise, IRONMAN Louisville athletes will have less than 17 hours to complete the event as a result of the later start time of approximately 7:30 a.m. for age group athletes... With the rolling swim start, we expect all athletes to be in the water by 8:15 a.m. All athletes will get 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim. The official finish line cut-off for IRONMAN Louisville will be midnight, regardless of when you start the race. Intermediate cut-offs will be in place throughout the race."

Unfortunately, from what I'm gathering from the IM LOU Facebook page it's looking like those worried about the cut off are planning to be first in line for the swim, which could lead to a disastrous swim start with the stronger swimmers/athletes having to swim over the slower ones the entire swim.

Thank you. I did not see this info before. I guess it changes the dynamic a bit. My first go at Louisville I needed nearly 16 hours so I can see how that would cause a lot of early queuing at the swim start to get the maximum time possible.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by almostironmatt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:

That's nothing new, been like that since year #1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from LOU....bike some and then bike more and bike more. The bike course is tough and you can never settle in.

As far as coaching goes: check on a few different coaches....I hired the wrong one last year....and I didn't get much out of them. Went solo this year and my times were much much better. Remember they work for you. Find someone you can work with.
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well we can expect that x10 now.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Re: Registered for IMLOU now what [Shaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM Lake Placid this year and everyone talked about how tough the bike course was - I didn't find it that bad and it looks like IM LOU bike course is a bit easier (at least less elevation gain). Just wondering if anyone has done both and can offer a comparison?

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy to share my training peaks log from IMFL from 2013 with you. Had to fit training around a pretty busy work schedule and have a 3yr old and now 7mo old at home, so I understand the family pressures. It was my first 140.6. I am signed up for IMLou next year as well.
I can also share some garmin files with you for long rides you can do from Ashland area. I live in Huntington. There is little to no access to hands on coaching in our area. You may be able find an online coach through USAT site. I am happy to give you what guidance I can. pm me anytime.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by almostironmatt [ In reply to ]