Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the approximate difference in power output ability when on the aero bars on a TT bike vs sitting up on a TT bike? I am wondering if there is more of an advantage to sit up while going uphill since the aero concerns are mostly minimal at low speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars? [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...find a hill and try it yourself? How much of a hill? small rise? rollers? Alp D'Huez? I also think this varies depending on the rider, what may be comfortable for me may not be for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i normally sit up when going uphill and my speed drops below 14mph. as a guess reckon i get an extra 15/20 watts from sitting up and that outweighs the aero benefit at low speeds. although i have absolutely nothing scientific to back that up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly; many years ago---late 1980's/early 1990s---Chester Kyle of the Specialized brand stated the aero benefit from being in aero bars compared to the standard road bars ended somewhere at and below 16 mph. I believe this information was stated in one of the old Bicycling or similar magazine separate specialized technical publications that only lasted a few years. Good luck to all in finding this.

As for another old look at the various aero benefits found in cycling for some one riding 40km in 1 hour 5 minutes, try this link: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/...ero/aerodynamics.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sit up when my speed drops below 12 mph.

I have no scientific data to support my cut off speed. That is the point where working hard going up hill being on the aero bars becomes uncomfortable. I figure at that point the lack of aerodynamics is an acceptable trade off for the increase in power and being able to keep my heart rate lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
If I remember correctly; many years ago---late 1980's/early 1990s---Chester Kyle of the Specialized brand stated the aero benefit from being in aero bars compared to the standard road bars ended somewhere at and below 16 mph. I believe this information was stated in one of the old Bicycling or similar magazine separate specialized technical publications that only lasted a few years. Good luck to all in finding this.

As for another old look at the various aero benefits found in cycling for some one riding 40km in 1 hour 5 minutes, try this link: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/...ero/aerodynamics.htm

ha, interesting they say shaved legs makes a difference of 5 seconds, but this article says it helps by 70s:

http://www.outsideonline.com/...-to-Ride-Faster.html
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Sep 1, 14 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
0 watts difference for me.

Specialized tested shaved legs many times and got big savings results every time.

0 watts here too.

Maybe my first few rides of the season, my watts will be a little lower on the TT bike, but I get used to it pretty quickly.
ALL of my best hill climbing results on Strava have come on a TT bike.

(this is largely in part to the fact that I'm in better shape come summertime, when I'm riding the TT vs roadie, but also because it's a faster bike - period.)
You can be in the aero position down to maybe 12-13 mph and still benefit, or even 'slower'; if there's a headwind you're trying to cut thru.

I can't speak to the shaved legs thing, since I never shave them, and I usually wear compression sleeves for racing, so pretty much only my knees are showing, and they're not all that hairy.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never felt any real difference. But I'm also on 165mm cranks, and aggressive, but not super aggressive position. I don't feel restricted in breathing or hip angle aero.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Difference: Aero Position vs On the Bars? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
0 watts difference for me.

Specialized tested shaved legs many times and got big savings results every time.

Interesting. Maybe they need to run a test with both shaved legs and shaved arms. Surprised they limited themselves to just shaved legs if it makes that much of a difference. Also curious how much of a difference it makes on the swim as I know Olympic swimmers shave everything.
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Sep 1, 14 6:37
Quote Reply