Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many extra watts for each kg on climb
Quote | Reply
Excluding externals like drafting, equipment etc, roughly how many extra watts are needed on a...say 10% grade climb for each kg of weight? The physics gurus will no doubt know this. In other words what watts would the 60kg rider be seeing on his/her bike computer vs a 90kg rider at the same speed?
Quote Reply
Re: How many extra watts for each kg on climb [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
Excluding externals like drafting, equipment etc, roughly how many extra watts are needed on a...say 10% grade climb for each kg of weight? The physics gurus will no doubt know this. In other words what watts would the 60kg rider be seeing on his/her bike computer vs a 90kg rider at the same speed?

The answer is delta (m) x g x h/t

So just take the difference in the weight of the riders, calculate the vertical height you are going up in a given period of time and you have your answer, ignoring wind resistance and rolling resistance, neither of which is totally negligible, but you will get very close on a 10% grade.
Quote Reply
Re: How many extra watts for each kg on climb [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev but I failed physics at school (and too many other subjects). So if the 60kg rider is riding at Y speed up the hill and seeing X on his computer, all things being equal, what is the 90kg rider seeing at the same speed?

Edit
At school I probably would have said X +30 hence my failure!
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Aug 31, 14 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as exact numbers... I cant really help. But a good rule of them is for a consistent power... a kg a second.
Quote Reply
Re: How many extra watts for each kg on climb [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers - very interesting calculator. Answers all my questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This ones pretty easy to use:

http://www.gribble.org/...g/power_v_speed.html

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they were both at 5 watt/kilo?
300 vs. 450 watts.
Quote Reply