Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best all-around wheelset?
Quote | Reply
- On a budget and looking to buy used
- After Ironman Florida this year, I will likely go back to primarily road cycling next year (criteriums and maybe a gran fondo); may also do 1x 70.3
- These wheels will be every day wheels as well as race wheels
- Would prefer something light but dependable
- Depending on cost, I may or may not sell my current wheelset (Fulcrum Racing 3; 2-Way)

Based on experience, I like Ksyrium SL's, but haven't ridden a ton of different wheels. The fulcrum's are good, but a pain the butt with changing flats, etc. and I want something a bit more standard in case I get stuck far away from home.

As for price, let's say its possible to get for $700 or les (used) - but if your recommendation would cost more - I'm still interested in hearing why.

So, what are your thoughts?

Eric

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Best all-around wheelset? [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A new set of Flo 30's would fit the bill (and order #15 is just around the corner) ... both in performance and price ... Flow 60's would fit both as well, but be a bit heavier. You could also get a set of Flo 30 rims with your own spoke count and have somebody build them up for you with your choice of hubs/spokes.

If you look you should be able to find a set of SRAM 60's or other deeper carbon rims that are a few years old. The only hesitation with buying used is you don't know how hard they have been ridden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Aura 5 - used. Should be able to snag a lightly used pair for ~$500

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best all-around wheelset? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may need to "school me" on tubeless. My fulcrums can be run at tubeless, but I know nothing about it (and most shops in my area haven't had a good person to explain it to me.

Also - would tubeless be something I would want to run at Ironman Florida (or would that take longer to fix a flat than a clincher)?

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeSBR wrote:
-
- These wheels will be every day wheels as well as race wheelse

So, what are your thoughts?

Eric

I think that is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

1. You end up with wheels perfect for neither race nor training

2. It doesn't really save you any money in the long run

3. You either have to swap tires all the time for when you race, or run suboptimal tires for training, or racing, and flat more when racing because your tires have training wear on them

Anyway, if you do this anyway, something like Flo 30s or mavic cosmic elites which are nearly as aero as race wheels at low yaw are at least a low cost way do have a nice wheel, since you will be wearing them out fast.

Or Hed Jet 6s which have a metal brake track so you don't have to deal with sub par braking when training

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeSBR wrote:
You may need to "school me" on tubeless. My fulcrums can be run at tubeless, but I know nothing about it (and most shops in my area haven't had a good person to explain it to me.

Also - would tubeless be something I would want to run at Ironman Florida (or would that take longer to fix a flat than a clincher)?

Why? The older Aura 5 is a regular clincher, and there's nothing wrong with running clincher tires/tubes in the newer TLR models :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best all-around wheelset? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you responded. While I'm not sure anyone else here is in a similar situation, here's some background / question(s) for you.

I'm running my fulcrum racing 3 (700x23), 2-way wheels as clinchers (mounting tires is a HUUUUUUGE pain in the butt).

1. Would the mounting issue likely go away if I were to run the wheels as tubeless (or is it still a rim depth/width issue)?
2. If the mounting issue wouldn't go away, would a 22mm tire be better? Others recommended Schwalbe tires (no idea on width), but not sure I see a clincher version (unless v-guard = clincher).
3. Benefits / drawback of running tubeless in an Ironman (i.e., major hassle fixing a flat)?
4. If running the wheels as tubeless (or finding the right tires) would fix the mounting problem and the fulcrums are my daily wheels, what EXTRA set of wheels would you recommend for my racing purposes?

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Best all-around wheelset? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having ridden and raced lots of wheels, my vote would go to campy Boras. Zipps may be more aero, lightweights lighter... but campy just does everything pretty well. brakes well, is aero enough, stiff and snappy, maintenance and fuss free. and very, very smooth. Just probably not the smoothest, nor the cheapest. Not the most practical wheel for training either, since its a tubular. unlikely you'll find those on a budget.

for $700 though, a 30mm deep alloy wheel like flo 30s, campy shamal/zondas won't do you wrong. they are a very versatile wheelset. they are light enough, give you some aero, and cheap enough that they are not difficult to replace. You can build them up VERY cheap with aftermarket parts like kinlin rims and taiwanese hubs and these are really bang for your buck. in fact you could probably get such a wheel for less than $500. I race and train on such a wheelset.

I'd recommend you keep your fulcrum racing 3s ( those are some very good, dependable wheels. ) and grab a second hand pair of race wheels. you can easily grab a set of older zipps/reynolds . its pretty easiy to grab such a set on ebay or the classifieds at around 700-800.
Quote Reply