Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy?
Quote | Reply
I was flying with my last block of training... I had a great run speedwork session and two days later pushed it a bit to get that feeling of everything coming together... calf felt like it was stiffening but I ignored it and got a sharp pain. Yes. Very stupid.

[edited] In hindsight, I think it's more the soleus, just below the meat of the gastrocnemius on the medial side of the calf.

I rested ten days, picking up the slack with bike turbo sessions and it was still painful. Twelve days I managed 1km on the treadmill before the muscle started to feel like the stabbing pain might return. 14 days another 1km and the same. I'm rolling the area daily with a Triggerpoint roller and ball. I've got a race in two weeks...

Do I call it quits? Race and drop out at T2 with some race practice? Anyone have a good recovery strategy for the next two weeks?

I accept that this A race is now compromised.
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Aug 30, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had grade 1 strain this yr and my friend had grade 1/2 strain 9 days before IMMT. My friend was limping and had some swelling day after, he did zero workouts (did have PT visits every other day) for 8 days and some light biking day before race. He biked and ran a little slower then he planned but was able to finish in 12:30. My strain i re-injured once (racing to soon after) it took me 6 days of no activity only foam rolling before it became good enough to run on again. Good luck

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds pretty positive. Plus my goal is only half-ultra/Ironman/Challenge - I feel like I should man up! I'll continue to rest and maybe just try running off the bike for 1-2km every other day until the race so the blood is flowing and the legs are warm.

Thanks for the info - it's a frustrating setback!
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a pretty substantial strain you got there. I agree, it sounds like the soleus. Bummer it happened as your fitness was coming around. Sounds like you're doing most everything you can short term. The only thing I would add for short term recovery is a massage session or two before the race. Trigger Point Therapy is outstanding and I still do it frequently, but there is a ton of value in a quality session from a good MT.

For long term, continue with TP and check in with your MT every month in the off season while you are reestablishing durability. Run frequently, and way more slowly than you want. Thats how I got rid of my soleus problem.

Good luck,

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy also did kinseo (sp?) tape before race as well said it helped a ton, he also took a walk run approach to marathon. He was prepared that if he had any real pain to go ahead and stop. Good luck once again. Rest and ice!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers guys, good advice and greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! Calf heart attack strikes again including yours truly on the 14th. Ice, range of motion, ultrasound, standing in the pool/water and doing heel lifts, foam rolling a couple of days after the initial attack and no running for awhile. No trouble here biking. Ice kills my pain and allows pain free range of motion for 'awhile". Icing three or more times a day is not too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

It's hard to know what's helping and what's delaying healing. My soleus is incredibly tender; foam rolling is agony and stretching leaves it feeling stiff and painful and I'm fourteen days post injury with just two gentle 1km jogs in the past three days, which it didn't respond well to.

What drop shoes do you use? I ran exclusively in Vivobarefoot shoes for two years and felt pretty bomb proof. Since then I've been using a mix of zero drop trainers, but mainly the Saucony Virrata. In the last two months I've been using the Saucony Kinvara 5 with a 4mm drop, which could have allowed the calf muscles to shorten slightly. On my fateful workout I threw in my Virrata zero drops for the first time in a few months. In hindsight I feel this shoe choice coupled with pushing the intensity on tired calves may have contributed to my strain. I've previously been pretty blasé about sore choice, as I have always adapted. Perhaps it's time for me to be a bit cautious with changing shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
In my opinion you have a few options.

You have just enough time to rehab the injury to a point you can run on it. It is likely that it will come back during the race and you will possibly do more damage to it. But you will probably get through the race. If you are lucky it is only minimal damage it won't do anything too bad long term.

Ice versus heat

Ice will help dampen inflammation and reduce pain. But it will SLOW the healing (unless followed by heat/contrast) so should not be used yet.
Use heat, a heat pad, on the affected area as often as you can. A microwave one you can wear inside a sock is great.
Massage it loads, everyday, 10 times a day if you can. This will increase blood flow, it may make it initially worse, but will bring in the repair blocks.

I would recommend against stretching. I am not a fan of stretching, but in a damaged muscle I think its very bad. The fact that its feeling worse after stretching should tell you something.

Shoe choice -
for the next 2 weeks and during the race if you can/need to, wear a shoe with a 4mm drop or similar. This is just enough to take a small load of the soleus/Achilles complex allowing the tear to heal, but not too much that could cause shortening of the muscle.
Use this on race day and it may just be enough to get you through.

Pre-race.

In the few days leading up to the race you can start icing it, if its still a bit tetchy. This should help dampen any inflammation which could spark fluid accumlation which is painful and could end your race.

All in all, if you do this the right way you'll be ok. You'll get through the race, it just might not be the time you want.

Running analysis based in Leeds UK.
http://www.trimechanics.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [Tri-Mechanics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, that's fantastic - thank you for the detail. I was on your website last week as I had a night stop on Friday with a late morning departure the next day out of Leeds Bradford and was starting to look at going to see someone about this... In the end, we landed a bit late in the afternoon. I there had been more time to come in and see you. Next time I'm up, I'll drop in.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem chap, thanks for checking out the site!
Any issues let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I live right next to Leeds Bradford airport as well!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try lots of self-message focusing on loosening up the bottom third of your calf. Also, I'd recommend wearing shoes (both for daily use and training/racing) with a high heel-to-toe drop. Something in the 10-12mm range.

Get better - I've been there many times and the above tricks have helped me get to the start line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick update for anyone blighted with similar injuries. Here's what I'd do differently...

I've been self treating the area with myofascial compression using a Triggerpoint roller and balls. It's an absolute chore and character building, therefore I assume it must be doing something beneficial! I will continue with this.

I've tried a few treadmill runs at slow pace using more of a mid-foot strike and get around 0.8km before the pain comes back. I think in hindsight, this has been detrimental, and I have probably compromised recovery a little bit by 'testing' the injury like this. I have just tried another gentle jog on the treadmill as I need to evaluate whether I can race in a week, and I pulled up after 0.6km. I won't start the run leg now as I need to look at the next races and let this one go.

I have been away with work, long days and overnights without much gear so have had a forced rest for the last four days, which is probably no bad thing. I'm on a scheduled rest week and would have been tempted to carry on training on the bike and swimming to compensate for no run training. Prior to this last week I replaced run workouts with threshold work on the turbo trainer. Unsurprisingly this left me feeling a bit burned out and sluggish. I did rest up at the start of this week and joined my local shop ride for their 'Wednesday night worlds' ride and I felt good, staying with the strongest riders and attacking in the last two kilometers. I didn't get away but finished with the leaders.

Strategy going forward... I have started using an elliptical trainer and the soleus seems to be fine with that. I'm assuming that's an acceptable way to start rehabilitating the injury due to low impact. I can't move my entry from next weeks Half Challenge, so I'll go and race the swim and bike legs and pull out at T2. I don't want to aggravate the injury any further. My next races are on the 18th October, 26th October and 6th December. Rather than go into my race week training, I'll train through most of the week and just keep going with the elliptical in place of running workouts. I'll also focus on more swimming as the bike is my strongest suit. I've been doing about 3-4 hours OWS a week, and feel some pool time is much needed.

So, long story short: rest an injury and rest some more. Don't be tempted to 'test' it!
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [Tri-Mechanics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And many thanks to TriMechancis, both for the advice and the website. It's been a good read and I appreciate the articles you've made available there. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem matey. I'm glad you found the site of some use!

I think an elliptical trainer is a great way of working the running muscles without overstressing your calf. It also may help increase mobility of the tendon in the sheath if you keep your foot planted all the way round (rather than lifting off at the back).

The other great thing an elliptical trainer can be used for is dynamic balance. (however this seems to depend on the elliptical, as the technogym ones pitch you backwards so are not great for this, but the life-fitness ones keep you more level).

Use the trainer, but let go of the arm holds, so just move your legs, put it in a relatively easy gear. Now close your eyes! Try to imagine the studio in front of you, this will help you keep balance. Be careful! have your hands nears something to hold at the ready.

Try doing this for a few sets, you might look odd, but who cares!

In regards to the injury, if you haven't already look at this post -

http://www.trimechanics.co.uk/...ping-strategies.html

Later on today I will be putting up an article on the cause of injury and how nutrition/inflammation management plays a key role in rehab (probably a greater role than all the exercises)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Just a quick update for anyone blighted with similar injuries. Here's what I'd do differently...

I've been self treating the area with myofascial compression using a Triggerpoint roller and balls. It's an absolute chore and character building, therefore I assume it must be doing something beneficial! I will continue with this.

I've tried a few treadmill runs at slow pace using more of a mid-foot strike and get around 0.8km before the pain comes back. I think in hindsight, this has been detrimental, and I have probably compromised recovery a little bit by 'testing' the injury like this. I have just tried another gentle jog on the treadmill as I need to evaluate whether I can race in a week, and I pulled up after 0.6km. I won't start the run leg now as I need to look at the next races and let this one go.

I have been away with work, long days and overnights without much gear so have had a forced rest for the last four days, which is probably no bad thing. I'm on a scheduled rest week and would have been tempted to carry on training on the bike and swimming to compensate for no run training. Prior to this last week I replaced run workouts with threshold work on the turbo trainer. Unsurprisingly this left me feeling a bit burned out and sluggish. I did rest up at the start of this week and joined my local shop ride for their 'Wednesday night worlds' ride and I felt good, staying with the strongest riders and attacking in the last two kilometers. I didn't get away but finished with the leaders.

Strategy going forward... I have started using an elliptical trainer and the soleus seems to be fine with that. I'm assuming that's an acceptable way to start rehabilitating the injury due to low impact. I can't move my entry from next weeks Half Challenge, so I'll go and race the swim and bike legs and pull out at T2. I don't want to aggravate the injury any further. My next races are on the 18th October, 26th October and 6th December. Rather than go into my race week training, I'll train through most of the week and just keep going with the elliptical in place of running workouts. I'll also focus on more swimming as the bike is my strongest suit. I've been doing about 3-4 hours OWS a week, and feel some pool time is much needed.

So, long story short: rest an injury and rest some more. Don't be tempted to 'test' it!

Agreed. I've had this happen in the past, but, thankfully not recently (crosses fingers), and the biggest problem for me was knowing when I had rested it enough to try running again. Every failed attempt was a setback. Very frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something to keep in mind: Very often a trigger point in a muscle, specifically the calf muscles, can feel like a strain or even a tear. Intramuscular stimulation (IMS) is a very effective technique to treat this. A trained therapist will use a thin needle (like an acupuncture needle, but not to be confused with acupuncture) to stimulate the muscle in its core. The muscle will twitch and relax. I have limped back home from a few runs in the past, only to be back training in a couple days after IMS. This will not help for a true strain or tear, but if you are unsure and do not have, say an ultrasound exam to proof that, give IMS a try. Just as a caution, it is normal to feel a bit stiff and sore within the first couple hours after a treatment. It will soon settle down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the exact same injury 3 times in the last 3 years. First time through was super frustrating and had numerous false starts..took about 7 weeks to get it right. Talked to many people about this and have come up with what works for me in terms of a recovery schedule. Unfortunately I have found it takes me about a month to conservatively get back to a decent place. Not what you want to hear but I think 2 weeks is probably not enough time to recover from this injury. My most recent episode was an initial injury in early May of this year...with Eagleman scheduled for June 8....felt the "pop" in the calf..those of you who have dealt with this know what I mean. Took 4 days off from running and tried again (a mistake in hindsight)...got 800m and pain again so shut it down.

Here is my recovery schedule that worked for me to get me to the start line at Eagleman
:
12-14 days of ZERO running NO STRETCHING...got some ART and/or work the foam roller after maybe 5 days...swim and bike a lot..do some aqua jogging. Then EASE back in...can't stress this enough.

REHAB - If there is any pain whatsoever you need to shut down immediately and take AT LEAST an extra rest day before attempting again. I have found that a very easy build of short jogs with walk breaks and rest days allows the strengthening and recovery to get back in the saddle. I cant stress enough that the jogs need to be SUPER easy and shut down at the slightest hint of pain. If you do get pain; stop... take an extra rest day, and consider a shorter effort with more walking.

AFTER 12-14 days of ZERO running:
May 17 - Day 1 rehab run :8x400 easy jog with 200 walk between each
Day 2 no running
Day 3 6x(4min jog/2min walk)...roughly 800/200
Day 4 no running
Day 5 5x (1200 jog/200 walk) + 1600 easy jog at end
Day 6 no running
Day 7 6x(1mile easy/1 min walk)
Day 8 no running
Day 9 5x(1.5mile easy/30sec walk)
Day 10 no running
Day 11 a bit sore..took extra day..no running...
Day 12 2x(2miles easy/30sec walk) + 4 miles very easy straight
Day 13 no running
Day 14 7 miles easy, then 2 miles moderate pace
Day 15 no running
Day 16 10 miles straight building to close to threshold in last mile
Days 17-22...taper week... Easy runs not longer than 5 miles
June 8 Day 23 Eagleman

So start to finish it took about 5 weeks....without my mistake of trying to come back too soon or shortening the taper (although the taper certainly helped recovery) I could have possibly compressed this to 4. If I had a race that I NEEDED to do and went in completely untapered is it imaginable to come back in 3 weeks but would have been a stretch and IMO would have risked a re-injury that could have knocked me out of my "A" race for the year (IMLP) in late July.

Since you asked...If I were you I would either skip the race or do aquavelo if offered. Not what you wanted to hear I am guessing.

Oh....BTW ...go see a doctor...he or she probably will have an opinion that may be worth more than most of the folks here on ST...esp me. ;-)
Last edited by: SteveCoz: Sep 9, 14 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: Gastrocnemius/Soleus strain two weeks from Challenge Half... strategy? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - seems to be quite a quick recovery. I'm still not able to run at the distances you describe, but I hope the elliptical will be an effective compromise. I like the discipline and controlled build you have structured into your plan. I've accepted I'll not run this race. I can't defer the entry to my next Challenge race, so either I've decided I may as well get some race practice for the OWS and bike pacing, plus nutrition strategy. Thanks for the detailed response.

Once again, thanks to Tri-Mechanics for the great site.
Quote Reply