Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pros and Cons of a hilly v flat bike course
Quote | Reply
Im looking into my next Ironman and wanted to get some data or pros and cons for a hilly bike V flat bike for a weaker cyclist. I am not a great cyclist im OK and have made gains from last year to this year. My run is pretty good and continues to improve. My limiter is definitely the bike. my choices are IMMD/IMChoo/IMLou
I know i will lose more time on a hillier course via the bike and wont make up enough time on the run.....pros and cons...GO!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of a hilly v flat bike course [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. It really depends on what your goals are for the race.

Are you trying to post the fastest IM time possible to brag to your friends? If so, then flat is obviously better.

Are you trying to place as high as possible in your AG? If so, then pick the course that matches your strengths.

Are you trying to enjoy the race as much as possible? If so, pick the course that is most appealing to you.

A hiller bike will obviously be more of a challenge to a weaker cyclist, but you've got plenty of time to train for it. Put in some time on the saddle and make this a moot point!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of a hilly v flat bike course [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goal would be to place top 10 in my AG. ive been putting in some work on the bike and have raised my FTP quite a bit. I know i have plenty of time to train for it and get the specificity part down. just wanted an overall idea of hillier vs flat. hillier will benefit a strong cyclist. but ive heard draft packs at flat courses and can get congested .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Draft packs are avoidable, but may break you out of your rhythm. It's also frustrating when one blows by you and you know they're getting an illegal advantage when you're riding legally. Your individual time will probably be faster on a flat course, but you may be slower relative to others if many of them are taking advantage of the packs.

For a flat race, you also need to be prepared for constant effort/pedaling for the entire ride. There's no break for 112 miles.

Hilly courses can result in slower times, but also give some opportunity to coast. You need to do well at pacing on a hilly course. Don't hammer up the hills and then coast the downhill. Even out your effort with a steady climb, and then wait until you get back up to speed on the downhill before you stop pedaling.

Hills also provide some variety, which for me is a big help mentally. 112 miles of staring at a flat road can make it difficult to stay mentally engaged.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the previous poster. I am not the strongest cyclist either and am faster on a flat course but like the challenge and variety of a hilly course especially since it gives me a change to stand up and climb a little. I am assuming you have a power meter which is your best friend on a hilly course. My only advice on a hilly course is to not "race" the guys pounding up the hills early on and let them go since you will probably catch back up with them later on when they are dying from lighting matches early one.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Draft packs are more prevalent on flat courses, so plan on being angry if you are passed by one and choose not to play. But, a flatter course is going to level you a bit less fatigued for the run if you pace it. Hilly courses though, give you a natural pacing excuse as you can grind climbs at your aerobic threshold then coast down, spin flats. A flat course can be deceiving as you are always pedaling. Another consideration is wind, a flat course that has a windy grind (Cozumel) can be exhausting.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of a hilly v flat bike course [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knowing myself I probably wont draft, to afraid of getting a penalty or getting time tacked on for something so stupid. I just read an article on flat courses just this morning from ironmans website. seems to be more of a mental battle then anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
Knowing myself I probably wont draft, to afraid of getting a penalty or getting time tacked on for something so stupid. I just read an article on flat courses just this morning from ironmans website. seems to be more of a mental battle then anything.

Was hoping you would've said you wouldn't draft because it's cheating...
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of a hilly v flat bike course [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never have drafted before, why start now....I will not join the massive packs of triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot espejo

DPStream
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a ordinary middle of the pack guy on the bike and found that I did a lot better at Mount Tremblant (hilly IM) as opposed to Kalmar Sweden (flat IM). Riding a flat course is a lot like being on a compu trainer: you can't coast. Also flat venues have a nasty habit of being windy, that can be worse then having to actually climb up hills. As a generalization, if you can get a flat bike and run course with out wind, it will be faster then a hilly bike and run course, but you can never tell for sure what the weather is going to do until race day. YMMV, Tim
Quote Reply