Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene
Quote | Reply
Can someone talk me through IM Coeur d'Alene? What can I expect in terms of weather conditions, the race-course and so on. The bike-course seems to be challenging with a lot of altitude to cover, but I think it will suit me well. A little bit concerned about the swim, the water temperature tend to be low?! Looking forward to hear about the race!

/CE

-------------------------
Next race: IRONMAN Florida

http://www.cetri.se/
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [CE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first IM back in 2006 - and its still my favorite. Swim - yeah the water is cool, but just watch the little kids in their diapers playing in the water and man up. My point being, that once your wetsuit works and the initial shock of the cold water is over you will be glad, swimming 2.4 miles in rubber can be hot. The bike does have some elevation gain but its not crazy - remember what goes up must come down. The run has a few rollers but very nice - incredible aid stations, great view of the lake. The finish is slightly down hill, so however the day goes I promise you will run it in. The transitions are short compared to a lot of races. I also really like the buzz around town, it feels like this is a big deal. Lastly, if you can swing it financially, stay at the host hotel. Yeah its expensive, but it is literally right up against the finish line, transition area, etc. We had small children and it made the day manageable for my wife and the kids. We literally parked our car and never used if for 4 days - every thing was walkable. It was really nice once I finished, I went back to the room, took a shower, got some food and then went and enjoyed the last hour at the finish line. I highly recommend this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did CdA in 2009 and I believe the course has changed a bit since then. Overall, I loved the race. The scenery in that area is breathtaking. I'd go back and do this race in a heartbeat, or just go and visit CdA for vacation. I don't think this race gets enough love.

Swim - The swim was a bit choppy, but really not that bad. 2009 was a pretty cool year and the water choppy enough to have me worried too, but in the end it wasn't a problem. The two lap course did make the turns on the first lap pretty congested with other competitors.

Bike - I remember the bike being pretty hilly. I was a much weaker cyclist then and it was definitely a challenge. No long climbs though, so if you pace yourself on the short hills, you always get the downhill right afterward to recover some speed.

Run - The run course was relatively flat and easy. It may even have been changed to make it easier even.

Weather- in 2009, it was very cool. By the time I finished in the afternoon, I think it was in the 40s or 50s. It started to rain right after I finished and the folks still on the course got much colder. IMO, that was perfect, but I know it felt cold to my wife who finished an hour after me.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the course has changed since I did it in 2004, but it's a great venue for a race. Beautiful scenery and good crowd support in town. Lake was choppy for the swim, temps were in the low 90s that year so it was hot for the run.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
challenging part of the swim is the waves and chop... makes for a "confused sea" and really affects the poorer swimmers. Temperature is cold but not too cold.

bike course is tough but fair. some rolling hills, three sustained climbs per lap, and some sections exposed to the winds. Rewards someone with good aero attention to detail and a good pacing plan.

Run is great, lots of crowd support, thru along the lake and doesn't ever get boring.

CdA is my favorite race. neat little town and great organization. I love it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did CDA this year and it's a solid race. ive only done one ironman but it would be tough to top that course/town/event.

weather conditions are usually perfect for racing that distance. it was windy this year but perfect temps. that made the swim was pretty choppy but nothing too crazy. it favored the stronger swimmers, but about half the participants were first timers and there were only a few that were pulled from the water.

the bike is an honest/challenging course. the long climbs (3 miles long) will get you if you dont play it smart. definitely play the first lap conservatively. but going in and out of town 4 times makes it not so monotonous. the crowd support through town is amazing and gets you through the rough spots. and the fact that you do out and back 16 miles then out and back 20 miles breaks up the course as well. makes the course go by quickly. there's not much time to settle into a rhythm since you're going up and down most of the time but it is a great bike course.

the run is where the crowd support is. with the exception of 2 miles out and back, there's usually crowd support around non-stop. it's an honest course but nothing too challenging. there's one hill that can beat you up around miles 5 and 18. but the run went by super quick - it doesnt feel like youre running 10K plus each way twice.

the course is amazing - it's beautiful and challenging. several times on the run and the bike you just look over your shoulder and you see awesome mountains and a beautiful lake as your backdrop. truly can't get much better of a course than that. the town truly gets behind the entire event and finishing down sherman avenue is incredible. it's a 1/4 mile long of you and 1000+ people cheering you on. that truly makes it worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like previous posters have said it is a great race, I have done it seven times now and am going back next year, they are on the 3rd bike course but others have described it well already. The weather can be variable, usually it's perfect( I think) but sometimes it's really hot- 95, and one year it was 55 and rained a lot. For the swim I use a long sleeve wetsuit and a hood- it's a race you will be plenty warm. I didn't like the swim start much until they went to the staggered/ rolling start, before that i felt like the first lap was a full contact pack swim- now it is much better
As others have said the finish line down Sherman is the best, I like the go to one of the bars there after the race and sit outside and watch others finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comparing to Cozumel and Arizona, CdA is my favorite. Love all 3, but CdA is a small city that exist that week for the IM. Course is fair as others have pointed out.

I think the water temp is usually 55-60. If you don't like that temp, then I guess it's too cold. If you don't mind the temp, then it's just right. Right? :)

The hills aren't so bad that a bad cassette selection is going to ruin your day. Most of my Garmin data did not save, but there are a few sections in my WKO graph ranging from 10 min to 40 min at 80rpm, 180watts, and 8-10mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worked CDA as either a bike course director or run course director for 5 years now and it is on my list of favorites each year. I have worked almost every event in the country and CDA would be on the top of the list of races to complete if I was not wearing an event radio and staff badge. The swim is cooler for sure. It can be choppy if its windy, but can be glass if its not. Its different every year.

The bike course is no joke. I keep track of big cut off's that we do around the country and this year in CDA we had a big cut on the far end of the bike. It was windy this year and caught up on people on the second loop. It has long sustained climbing and descending in it. The stretch along the lake is awesome and is worth enjoying each loop. To have a bike course pass through a downtown area so many times over 112 miles is truly special. The bike is awesome if you have the legs to climb.

The run is really special. It can be rainy, warm, hot, windy, perfect, or flat out cold. I have seen each variation. The course brings you into town each time and gets you close to your family and friends on each loop. It is rolling and has a good couple of climbs on the far end of the course.

The town is spectacular. Trails are awesome for family. Easy to get around in. I agree with the post about staying at the host hotel. Its not cheap to stay at the resort but worth every dollar when you cross the finish line and can roll right into bed and back to the finish for the midnight traditions.

I would say CDA, Whistler, and Lake Placid are among the best races in the world and should be checked off if you can do them.

Enjoy and see you there

DC (Dave Christen)
RD - IM Boulder and Boulder 70.3

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only did it once (2011), amin issue was the swim, cold dark and choppy. I felt like the first 30 miles of the bike was spent getting my act back together after that. Run is pretty straight forward, Crowd support is good. I think it's overall a good event.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done this race 3x & the last being 2012. Love the race. The course was different the last time in 2012 but actually liked the old twisty course back past the golf course--whatever that town was it passed through. Support is always excellent & although I didn't think there was as much to do there as some other Ironman races, it was beautiful. The swim is butt cold, used neoprene B70 socks last time & since it was a day-before purchase once I found out it'd be legal for race day...I'm glad I as it saved me from a DNF I think. Maybe not as cold as Lake Superior but pretty dang cold. The run was bloody hot & the bike has this ridiculous no passing zone that seems to go on forever...ALMOST as narrow as the ridiculous run course at Ironman Boulder ;-)

Seriously though, it is a good course & should be on any Ironman athlete's "to do" list from an organization standpoint. If you hear gripes about "big hill" at the turn around, it isn't that big of a deal--it's all words. It's JUST a hill & have likely done harder ones in training more than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've watched 4 times & raced once. Be prepared for a choppy cold swim. When I did it I freaked a bit early in the swim got it together and did OK. Barely broke 65 minutes but was top 120 OA in the swim for example. (It was that choppy). But some years the lake is 64 degrees & glass. Bike can be windy or perfect. Rarely super windy. Temps can be as chilly as 40 at start & as warm as 95 by finish. But most years it's 50 at start & barely 80 by finish. I think its only rained 2 x out of 12 races & then not very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like what I'm reading, the bike is my strength so the hills doesn't concern me that much. I've done IM France a couple of times, but if I'm understand all of you correctly, the descents aren't as technical as in the French mountains.

What does the "no passing zone" mean? You are not allowed to go by other competitiors, or what?

I'm used to dark lakes and sometimes even low temperatures, but my body doesn't really like it... Low body fat and cold lakes aren't the best combination. It's still an option for next year, so I would love to hear more about the race!

/CE

-------------------------
Next race: IRONMAN Florida

http://www.cetri.se/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CE wrote:
I like what I'm reading, the bike is my strength so the hills doesn't concern me that much. I've done IM France a couple of times, but if I'm understand all of you correctly, the descents aren't as technical as in the French mountains.

What does the "no passing zone" mean? You are not allowed to go by other competitiors, or what?

I'm used to dark lakes and sometimes even low temperatures, but my body doesn't really like it... Low body fat and cold lakes aren't the best combination. It's still an option for next year, so I would love to hear more about the race!

/CE

On the old bike course there was a section that was on a paved trail - it was about 8 ft wide - don't think this is in the new bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Did IM CDA this year, it was my first IM and as others have said the swim was choppy, the bike is hilly and the run is awesome with the crowds. The scenery is beautiful and it seems like the whole town comes out to cheer you on.

The one thing my support team liked was the transition areas are all in the same spot, they could hang around this area all day and see me numorous times in each event and it's also by the lake and down town so if they wanted they could do other things.

I highly recommend it, I've heard it's not the easiest IM but I would have to do another one to be sure....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it, its awesome. People are great, once you get on the run you'll see why its awesome. The people love having the race, I've done Old Ironman canada, St george, and Kona-and this is my favorite. Wife loves watching it too, 2 loops for all three make it easy to follow and keep track of everyone.

----------------------------------------
http://www.nathanveldhoen.com
http://twitter.com/NateVeldhoen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CE wrote:

/CE

There is a short stretch as you begin the 20 mile out and back that is very tight and no passing, maybe a minute or so. Coming back on that part there is no passing on the long downhill, I am guessing three minutes or so. I am a wimp of a bike rider and I was crapping my pants going 40 mph so was thankful I had to slow down to not pass people. You may feel differently :) By my math, I am coming up with circa eight minutes or so of no passing over 112 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CE - the later post about the no passing zone is correct. I would estimate about the same time frame they did total. Basically the bridge has to be able to maintain two way bike traffic as well as two way vehicle traffic for that course to work and for permits to be given for such an event. As a production team we don't like no pass zones at all, but in order to cooperate with local authorities and communities we have to implement them some times. You will see how tight that bridge is if you race it.

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CdA did a lot of things well, but nothing excellent.

Of the 5 I finished(FL, LP, AZ, CdA, Cozumel) it was high middle of the pack in all facets. Placid had the history, hills, scenery, and the crowds, Florida had the ocean swim, Arizona had the bike hammer sections as was easy to get to and cheap to stay at, Cozumel was exotic, had the best water, and was most family approved.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stupidly signed up for this yesterday - will be travelling from Australia for it - a good friend in the US convinced me to come across. I've only done Melbourne and Bussleton - both super flat courses - so I think I am in for a bit of a shock. Don't like the sound of the hills on the run and the bike - I think I will have to try and drop a few kgs before next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be signing up this week for IM #9. While I'd like to stay at the host hotel, are there other hotels nearby that you'd recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about IM Coeur d'Alene [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
I'll be signing up this week for IM #9. While I'd like to stay at the host hotel, are there other hotels nearby that you'd recommend?

I went on the cheap and stayed at the motel 6. If you are considering the host hotel we are talking different worlds of price.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what others have said, I have done the race 3 times (so far) and have loved it! The bonus is my wife and family LOVE it there! The town is very friendly and it is easy for family to get around on race day. Nice park with a great playground right next to transition. My wife, a VERY experienced IM spectator, believes it is the most friendly/favorable venue for your support crew.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply