Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench question: Aluminum BB shell spins around in carbon frame. Fixable?
Quote | Reply
Today I went to try to upgrade my road bike to 11 speed and had this weird problem when trying to remove the bottom bracket cups. Finally realized that the aluminum inner shell (with the threads) was spinning around inside the frame. I'm guessing it was merely glued in there. to begin with.

Is this frame done? Is there any way to re-glue the aluminum insert? There's no play between aluminum inner shell and the the frame. It's pretty solid. It's just that if you give it enough force (say to tighten a bottom bracket cup) then it starts to spin.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question: Aluminum BB shell spins around in carbon frame. Fixable? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely fixable, but you'd need some expertise to get that insert out without damaging the frame. call calfee, see if they do it.

This should be a warranty item though, might be easier to warranty the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question: Aluminum BB shell spins around in carbon frame. Fixable? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try to do warranty, but this is actually the second time there's been a bottom bracket problem with this frame. The last time, it cracked and they sent me a new one through warranty. But even then, going through the shop I bought it from, Guru was reluctant to replace the frame and I had to wait a long, long time. Now, about 1.5 years after I got the replacement it goes again but that shop no longer sells Guru so it's basically gonna be me emailing/calling them about it. I'm not optimistic about the outcome. They don't even make this frame anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question: Aluminum BB shell spins around in carbon frame. Fixable? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curious what Guru model it is? I have a Flite
Quote Reply