Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm totally with you here. Olympiatoppen är basen för all uthållighetssport och norsk självklart det bästa språket för diskussion!

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Yes, I was joking, sort of.

Esperanto, anyone?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
I'm totally with you here. Olympiatoppen är basen för all uthållighetssport och norsk självklart det bästa språket för diskussion!

Naa gjoeres det mye bra jobb i Sverige ogsaa, men min svensk er ikke saa god. Da jeg bodde i Norge fulgte jeg alltid langrenn paa SVT. Mye bedre kommentatorer. Ellers saa tror jeg ikke det er stor forskjell mellom utholdningssport i Norge og Sverige. Norge har vaert bedre i langrenn og skiskyting menn i det siste, men jeg husker Wassberg, Svan og Mogren. Jeg husker ogsaa maratonloeperen Kjell Sthaal :-)

Dette er en av mine favoritt videoer Thomas Wassberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgZKtGG8r8
Last edited by: Halvard: Aug 30, 14 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
mortysct wrote:

Naa gjoeres det mye bra jobb i Sverige ogsaa, men min svensk er ikke saa god. Da jeg bodde i Norge fulgte jeg alltid langrenn paa SVT. Mye bedre kommentatorer. Ellers saa tror jeg ikke det er stor forskjell mellom utholdningssport i Norge og Sverige. Norge har vaert bedre i langrenn og skiskyting menn i det siste, men jeg husker Wassberg, Svan og Mogren. Jeg husker ogsaa maratonloeperen Kjell Sthaal :-)

Dette er en av mine favoritt videoer Thomas Wassberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgZKtGG8r8

Spam, spam, spam, spam

Damn vikings!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [jkp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is a lot of pro triathletes should take marketing ques from him. They, being the pro triathletes, may see a 90% increase in their earnings.

If you actually follow what he's doing, you'll see he's helping pro's gain some exposure.

If I was an agent/coach/etc that had a bunch of pro's in Kona I'd be trying to get them booked on his Kona TV.

I'm pretty sure at IMLP there was more twitter activity about pay 7 deep & the pro's who were 7th then the actual race. Probably more twitter activity & more views on youtube of the 7th place awards ceremony than what WTC was able to get for any of the 1-6th place athletes in any/all media streams.

What was more valuable to their sponsors? Placing 4th overall or placing 7th overall? Who's athlete websites probably got more hits? Which = more eyeballs on their sponsors logos? 3rd OV or 7th OV?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 31, 14 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'm pretty sure at IMLP there was more twitter activity about pay 7 deep & the pro's who were 7th then the actual race.

Like the old saying, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Then there is placing 7th at IMLP, out of only 10, with a time fo 10:35, an hour behind first place, and 28th (or 41st) in your gender. In the grand scheme of things, the twitter activity here is just background noise to what Kim Kardasian had for for breakfast.

"What was more valuable to their sponsors? Placing 4th overall or placing 7th overall?"

Maybe, just maybe, neither has any value at all.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
trail wrote:
>Your sentence does not make any sense.

You're lying. Despite the slightly butchered syntax you understand precisely what he meant.

No, I am not, and no, I do not.

1. TheRealStarky makes more money than what 90% of pro triathletes make.

2. TheRealStarky makes more money than 90% of the income of pro triathletes [in general, or a particular pro triathlete?].

3. TheRealStarky makes more money than [the monetary worth] of 90% [body mass? skin surface area? net worth?] of pro triathletes [which particular ones?]

Does anybody know how much 90% of Andrew Starykowicz is worth? 166.5 pounds?

Wait ..he's not the *real* Starky, he's the not fake Starky. right? (It's all so confusing, I don't know what color the font should be).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Esperanto failed already. It failed because it was a manufactured language and they tried to impose it on people. :-)

Language comes from the people. It's constantly evolving because of the interaction of peoples around the globe.

English is a bad language (so many inconsistencies) but because of things outside our control, it has become people first or second language. German kids don't learn Cantonese, they learn English. Chinese kids don't learn French, they learn English. Kenyan kids don't learn Spanish, they learn English.

English is the world language. It's not the best language or even what I want (even tho I'm an English only speaker), but it IS the world language. Esperanto will never be, even though technically it has many advantages over English. Esperanto is the BetaMax of the language world ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to this list, http://en.wikipedia.org/...r_of_native_speakers, English is a poor 3rd behind Mandarin and Spanish.

This is why I chose Spanish as my 5th language (I can only speak #1 and #4 well, #2 I could get by with if I was in that country, #3 I have intentionally forgotten). Mandarin is just way too hard.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
According to this list, http://en.wikipedia.org/...r_of_native_speakers, English is a poor 3rd behind Mandarin and Spanish.

This is why I chose Spanish as my 5th language (I can only speak #1 and #4 well, #2 I could get by with if I was in that country, #3 I have intentionally forgotten). Mandarin is just way too hard.

Hence my point. English isn't best, but it's winning. Kinda like......oh, we can't mention his name anymore, now that he got stripped of his titles.

Even with Spanish Steak, Spanish won't win at the end of the day ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Esperanto failed already. It failed because it was a manufactured language and they tried to impose it on people. :-)

Language comes from the people. It's constantly evolving because of the interaction of peoples around the globe.

English is a bad language (so many inconsistencies) but because of things outside our control, it has become people first or second language. German kids don't learn Cantonese, they learn English. Chinese kids don't learn French, they learn English. Kenyan kids don't learn Spanish, they learn English.

English is the world language. It's not the best language or even what I want (even tho I'm an English only speaker), but it IS the world language. Esperanto will never be, even though technically it has many advantages over English. Esperanto is the BetaMax of the language world ;-)

The number of chinese in china and the number of americans who speak english is roughly similar.

Regarding english inconsistencies--this is what makes it a beautiful language. This is the source of poetry. We have directly adopted words from dozens and dozens of various languages around the world. Choose a concept that you want to convey, and there are likely 3 or 4 words you can use, and you can choose based on the nuance, double meaning, or tone you wish to convey. Or you can just choose based on the rhythm or sound of the word.

Sure, that exists in other languages as well. But few have the diversity that comes from incorporating so many other languages' words.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't blame English for being a melting pot language. English is based on Latin, and so are most western languages. Other languages also take from other languages. 'le hot dog' in French (as much as the French try to stop that type of thing) and how often do we hear people speaking in other languages throw "internet" into the conversation

The use of English is a result of the British Empire. There were Dutch, French and Spanish Empires about the same time, but the British Empire juuuuuust managed to win out, due in no small part to their biggest colony getting powerful enough at just the right time, to pick up the ball and run with it. I'm speaking of course of the USA, who as we all know speak English of sorts.

The double whammy of the British Empire followed by the American Empire has cemented English as the world language, just as we've actually become a global village. It's not necessarily the best result, but it is part of the winning result.

I'm just glad that 'mushy peas' hasn't been exported around the world as completely as English has taken over!

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
You can't blame English for being a melting pot language. English is based on Latin, and so are most western languages.

Pretty sure English is based on the Germanic language.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. and Germanic is Latin based as well
2. the English (and their friends) beat the Germans twice in the last 100 years. The winners write the history books, so I doubt English is Germanic based :-)
3. I've heard that even Australian is English based
4. If the Chinese hadn't been so isolationist back in the day, they could have spread Chinese around the world. They certainly had the ability to do it, long before teh Europeans started charging around the world in square rigged ships. I think now however, even with numbers on their side, they have lost that chance. Lotsa Chinese speak English while a lot less people outside of China speak any of the Chinese languages/dialects.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:
tridork wrote:
You can't blame English for being a melting pot language. English is based on Latin, and so are most western languages.

Pretty sure English is based on the Germanic language.

Correct. Having a significant portion of vocabulary influenced by Latin, does not make English a Romance language (like Spanish, Italian, French). Modern Englishis Germanic. It is an evolution of Old English which if you heard it spoken, you might confuse it with German.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some nice charts showing that. Pretty amazing when you consider how small the indo-european branch of the entire language tree is.

Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [jkp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of this morning, I have sold a total of $15,096.22 from my online store. I haven't bothered to calculate profit, but I suspect it's mostly tied up in existing inventory. Because I use my vendor for all shipping and handling, my margins aren't fantastic. That's ok. I'm very focused on @MyRealCareer. This is just a creative side project.

If you want to make money, selling hats and tees is a dumb idea. If you want to generate buzz, connect with fans and further your marketing agenda, hats and tees are great. The #starkamaniacs love to snap and share pics and I post a lot of them on my website and instagram. Fun for the whole family.

I have future plans that could significantly impact my personal bottom line, but merchandising is only for laughs.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i need you to get some more hats in stock so i can buy one! no snapback, just flex fit please. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Placed a big re-stocking order today. Check back in a couple of weeks.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where's my budgie smuggler?

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what is your @MyRealCareer?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How much is TheRealStarky profiting? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
So what is your @MyRealCareer?

Most people don't want to know who I am, so I keep my identity as hidden as possible. Who I am is unimportant and anticlimactic once you do find out, as you've experienced for yourself. Nice rhetorical question though, Steve.

Website
Quote Reply

Prev Next