Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Computrainer killer [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I agree 100%....the only beef I have with erg mode is the same problem I have with a treadmill. If I am running at 7 mph and want to ramp it up quick to 10 mph for 20 seconds and back down I am forever pressing buttons. In real life, I can literally ramp up and back down between those speeds in 4 strides. Same deal in erg mode...I would like to be able to go from 180W to 270W pretty instantly for short intervals, but it takes time going up and down in 5W increments. I can use it in the "other mode" where set the "slope" and change my speed, but then it is like riding outdoors and I can't get to exact watts that I want...it fluctuates +/- 10W depending on how well I concentrate. If I could just ramp erg mode in 20W increments quickly, I'd be set.

Do people still press buttons? I let the (third party) software do that for me. Program any resistance change you like then.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sold my CT, getting a Kickr. for me it was about getting a cleaner setup system. CT had so many wires and that stupid controller. Pain in butt to move around along with the PC so I had it taking up a whole room with a cheapo fixed bike on it.

I just bought a cheap dell Inspiron all in one, one wire power cord. kickr only requires power cord. Now I will have a system that I can move around house and keep hidden when not using.

Now my biggest loss will be all my Ergvideos since they are CT only.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I agree 100%....the only beef I have with erg mode is the same problem I have with a treadmill. If I am running at 7 mph and want to ramp it up quick to 10 mph for 20 seconds and back down I am forever pressing buttons. In real life, I can literally ramp up and back down between those speeds in 4 strides. Same deal in erg mode...I would like to be able to go from 180W to 270W pretty instantly for short intervals, but it takes time going up and down in 5W increments. I can use it in the "other mode" where set the "slope" and change my speed, but then it is like riding outdoors and I can't get to exact watts that I want...it fluctuates +/- 10W depending on how well I concentrate. If I could just ramp erg mode in 20W increments quickly, I'd be set.

Do people still press buttons? I let the (third party) software do that for me. Program any resistance change you like then.

Yes! I do most of my training on the CompuTrainer and almost always use manual controlled erg mode. I've tried programming erg files, but found the lack of flexibility annoying. What if I feel like warming up for 30 minutes instead of 20? What if I want to do my intervals 10W higher/lower than planned because I feel good/bad? That's why I like having real-time control.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yes! I do most of my training on the CompuTrainer and almost always use manual controlled erg mode. I've tried programming erg files, but found the lack of flexibility annoying. What if I feel like warming up for 30 minutes instead of 20? What if I want to do my intervals 10W higher/lower than planned because I feel good/bad? That's why I like having real-time control.

This might sound crazy coming from me, but there are time in my life that I actually don't want to go near a computer and I am OK with pressing buttons because it allows me (like Cody) to manually adjust the workout according to how my mind and body feel without getting off the bike and re setting anything in the computer. Sometimes when I ride a course I might set the pacer to 93 percent FTP and realize I am feeling good and should have set him to 97 percent that day. Other days, 90 would have been fine. When I train in Erg mode I can adjust to what I want on that day. Other than the button pressing on 30 second intervals, it's a none issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

This might sound crazy coming from me, but there are time in my life that I actually don't want to go near a computer and I am OK with pressing buttons because it allows me (like Cody) to manually adjust the workout according to how my mind and body feel without getting off the bike and re setting anything in the computer. Sometimes when I ride a course I might set the pacer to 93 percent FTP and realize I am feeling good and should have set him to 97 percent that day. Other days, 90 would have been fine. When I train in Erg mode I can adjust to what I want on that day. Other than the button pressing on 30 second intervals, it's a none issue.

Using PeriPedal with my KICKR, that's as simple as pressing the "+" button four times. Sets the rest of the workout up four percent if you're feeling good. I've never, ever experienced a time where I didn't want to go near a computer, though.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Using PeriPedal with my KICKR, that's as simple as pressing the "+" button four times. Sets the rest of the workout up four percent if you're feeling good. I've never, ever experienced a time where I didn't want to go near a computer, though.

Maybe I should spend less time on ST, then I won't have an issue going to a computer for a workout. Having said, that I run on treadmills often on biz travel. I always just use manual "pressing buttons mode" and never use any pre programmed courses! Same deal on my treadmill at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years it has been interesting to see the number of products introduced that were going to kill the CT. And here we are still having the same discussion, but just other products.

When I got the trainer to start with, all the bell and whistles were fun. But after a while, I did not need the hassles. I just ride erg a few days a week to spin,
and then just do a set interval workout the other days. Nice and simple and I just watch my DVD. Yea could I work harder? Yep. But at the end of the day,
when you get older, (which Dev, just wait 10 to 15 years when you are old), most older folks I am talking to at worlds are just trying to stay healthy.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
This part is very cool:

"They’re able to automatically create a basic 3D world based on the video, or rather, based on the GPS file. This means that if you upload a GPS file from a ride (with or without video), it’ll create a 3D world that you can ride in. This 3D generation takes into account satellite imagery of the area (and other data sources) which then allows them to judge factors like vegetation density, housing density, and notifications of nearby landmarks."

If they could use Google Street View, that could be very realistic.

It looks to be low-inertia though... or do these types of trainers have the ability simulate inertia electronically?

It's sad that this discussion has descended into TurboX is better than TurboY based on the thread title, namely "Computrainer killer". Forget the hardware for the moment, what is it that one requires from the software? Many have mentioned how useful TrainerRoad is, for either erg based or even normal turbos. Great for intervals and works really well with the Sufferfest videos. Quite a few feel that TrainerRoad is all that one needs. I can sympathise with that as many of these visual training environments don't quite achieve the indoor experience that they promise. Tacx have really pushed things forward and stole the show from Computrainer years ago. Erg videos are OK but lack flexibility.

One would think that with modern graphics and very immersive gaming experience things ought to be so much better. The above seems to me to be offering a great pre-race training experience. TrainerRoad for progressive power sessions, out door rides for endurance and technique. However before a race that I might have spent 6 months training for, I would really appreciate the opportunity to ride a realistic version that could give me mental cues and encouragement on race day. How many of us travel long distances to races but let our inexperience of the terrain cost us minutes in cornering, poor gear choices, uncertainty of how much further a stretch of road is, eating/drinking at the wrong places etc.

I'd love to have this software on whatever platform I had at home.

SteveMc
Last edited by: SteveMc: Aug 30, 14 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two Computrainers. Don't think there is anything better and as solid in terms of the hardware. Lot of cool new products out there, but its served me well and probably will continue to do so for decades. Made to last.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gohmdoree wrote:
I have two Computrainers. Don't think there is anything better and as solid in terms of the hardware. Lot of cool new products out there, but its served me well and probably will continue to do so for decades. Made to last.

Given this thread, I was curious if these guys at CT are having to drop their prices lower to stay competitive in the market.

http://www.racermateinc.com/product/computrainer-classic/

It is still $1629 and they have their usual end of summer code for $200 off.

I bought my first computrainer in 1998 and the price has literally not moved since then (I actually sold the first one a year after buying because I was not training enough to warrant having it and had a friend training for IM Lanzarote who I felt needed it more). Once I started training more in the winters, I kind of regretted selling the first one. I am amazed that somehow in the face of all this competition with an antiquated interface, these guys are able to sustain that high pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder about that too, but I think that will never change. With that said, the used market is amazing for those. My first I got for $900, then second I managed for under $600 with what seemed like a sketchy Ebay add.

The people at Racermate will tell you, as they did me, the generators are built to last. They really are bomb proof, and I believe it.

Couple it with just the head unit and/or Trainer Road, great tool. With all the talk on the Kickr, that thing still has its issues.

Devashish, following your posts, sure your riding would warrant one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing most of my rides inside as well except on my Kickr. The nice thing is you can set up a custom workout in ERG mode and adjust on the fly from your phone or labtop. Just use the + or - button or type in what % of your original workout you want it set at.

Dev with the Kickr and Trainerroad you can ride a custom ERG file and switch to Standard mode mid ride with 1 click in your phone or keyboard. Than you can hammer those intervals without the brake kicking in.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to the CT folks recently (at Challenge Penricton). A couple of things. They are going to open sources their software so others can develop. It sounds like they are not planning to create more software but are going to let others do that. In other words, sticking to what they do beys, make the hardware. And, there have been improvements in the hardware over time. There apparently is some company coming out with the ability to take a time stamped video, mated with a GPS file and create a Real Rides file meaning you'll be able to film your favorite routes and with attached GPS file get that turned into a video that controls your CT. Something a lot of us,have been wanting for some time.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

In some software, such as PerfPro, you can real time control such things, e.g. decide you want to go back and repeat a bit of the session, or skip ahead to the next bit. Change intensity? Easy. Quick move of the slider to move session up/down X%, or the FTP adjust control, via the screen control or the handlebar controller. You can program it to move in whatever % point jumps you choose. Or in fine increments if preferred.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
I talked to the CT folks recently (at Challenge Penricton). A couple of things. They are going to open sources their software so others can develop. It sounds like they are not planning to create more software but are going to let others do that. In other words, sticking to what they do beys, make the hardware. And, there have been improvements in the hardware over time. There apparently is some company coming out with the ability to take a time stamped video, mated with a GPS file and create a Real Rides file meaning you'll be able to film your favorite routes and with attached GPS file get that turned into a video that controls your CT. Something a lot of us,have been wanting for some time.

Yes, all these type toy additions can be fun for a while. But at the end of the day, I just have 2 or maybe 3 erg type files I use all the time. Simple. Meets the need.
No support of playing around with stuff. The hour DVD's keep me from getting too bored. Since the new sw has yet to be updated for the Velotron, I still just use the "old" sw since this works for my simple needs.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next