Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold water swimming - severe lung constriction?
Quote | Reply
Let me preface this by three things -

1. This was my first race in a wetsuit
2. I live in a tropical country, and have never trained in cold water
3. The water wasn't - that - cold, about 18C

This was 70.3 Budapest last weekend. I was set for the race, I had just come off of an Olympic distance the week before where I had a normal (for me) swim of 1500m/32 minutes. I didn't leave nearly everything during the oly race and the swim was extremely easy, but I am sort of new to Tri so I didn't want to be gasping like I did in my previous races, so I did a lot of swimming the past few months and tried to take it easy on the swim. After the race I knew I took it way too easy, as I felt really great in the water during that race.

Fast forward a week to 70.3 Budapest, following a shorter but hard taper (this was my first 70.3). I did a few swims during that week and minor lifting. This was all I did that week. I figured I was on track for my swim as the 70.3 is only ~400m more. I was expecting a decent swim, I don't set swim time targets as I suck at sighting and essentially just want to finish swimming. I've swam once or twice in my wetsuit but it is damn hot here so I really just put it on for a few laps in the pool. Again I live on the equator, so it's not cool here at all. Anywhere. I am sure my open water temps in the tri's here are warm even when considering pool temps.

I did warm up on the water a bit (I thought it was damn cold water), and felt a little strange. My HR was a bit higher than I was expecting for just swimming a 100m or so.

Race start - 200m into the swim and I am literally rolling on my back and gasping for breath. Haven't even reached the first turn buoy. Quick check of my watch and my HR was 165bpm. For the next 1000m, I was just trying to breathe. Rolled on my back several times, changed stroke, whatever I had to do. After all the training and time spent over the past few months. Closest I have ever come to dropping out of a race, it was so demoralizing. I felt like my chest was extremely constricted and I couldn't get in enough air on inhale. I even unzipped a little bit of my wetsuit about 500m after the start, but that did not help. The wetsuit didn't necessarily feel uncomfortably tight around the neck, I would even pull on the front of the neck in the water and it didn't seem to help at all with ease of breathing.

The last 900m were a bit better. When I was in my stroke, I was fast, but it seemed my heart rate was just going way too high to maintain a pace for very long before I had to take a break for a few strokes.

I finished the swim in 0:41.xx minutes.

The rest of the race went like this;
5:13 finish time, 2:35 bike and 1:45 run.

So does cold water contribute to this? Was the wetsuit too tight?? I have another 70.3 in Korea which will also be a wetsuit race I think. I don't know if the water will be as cold, though.

Edit - my HRM showed a max of 165 at the end of my race, which is exactly what I saw when I rolled over in the water to check it - so highest HR during my whole race was 200m after the start.
Last edited by: Frostocalypse: Aug 29, 14 1:55
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - severe lung constriction? [Frostocalypse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, sounds a lot like an anxiety attack... I had one a while back in big surf... Getting smashed over and over and with a rip ... It's pretty scary and you really have to force yourself to think your way out of it...
Re wetsuit it's not the cause but the fitness on the chest adds to the sensation... Hot or not u need to practice in it... Throw it on for 10-15 mins then swim without etc...
Cold water can also take your breath away, so combine the lot and you have an unpleasant combo.....
It does get better with practice.... Stick at it and take care
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - severe lung constriction? [Frostocalypse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think when you dealing with cold water and if you not used to it you will literally forget to exhale with your face in the water....this happens to me. I live in Maine, so the ocean water can be very cold. I have to go in, get that cold ass water inside the wetsuit, have your body adjust to the shock and then go under and practice breathing - exhaling. Once I do this a few times I am good to go. Its funny, now I like cold water because you can swim a long time in your wetsuit without overheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably had some anxiety due to the situation in the second half of the swim but I think the cold water was the prime suspect in this situation. Cold water will make you gasp for breath and no matter what you do feel like you can't get a full breath. That is until you get used to it, depending on how cold the water is. By unzipping your wetsuit and pulling on the neck letting water in you made it last longer.

You'll have to prep for your next cold water race in a bath tub full of ice. - Sort of pink.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Swimming/Swimming_Induced_Pulmonary_Edema_SIPE__45.html

This is an article, one of the first I ever read on this forum, that has been on here since 2007. It, along with other articles in the same swim training section, gives an explanation for a lot of what goes on when things go sideways on a swim.

I have swum and raced for the better part of 60 years. And I have had similar problems in the water (although thankfully not quite as severe). I have a friend who has won at IM distance and who has a darn good chance at winning (AG) at the 70.3 Worlds next week and I have seen them hanging onto the side of a canoe halfway through a race in warm water. It can and does affect a lot of people.

If you are going to race you need to understand what is happening, you also need to have coping mechanisms for when it does and you also need to find warmups (in or out of the water) that help prepare you for swimming in whatever water temperature you experience.

Cold water is not the be all and end all of it. It's all about how your body reacts to water, anxiety, andrenalin, sugars, caffeine (in all the gu you take) and finally wetsuits or swim tops. Cold water just adds to the mix. In fact I have swum races with temperatures in the fifties without problem (I am probably fatter than you).

ps If you ended up with a 41 min 2k swim, after doing a previous 32 min 1500m swim (that's a 500m difference by the way) you actually went faster. So maybe you redlined for a reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frostocalypse wrote:

3. The water wasn't - that - cold, about 18C

Race start - 200m into the swim and I am literally rolling on my back and gasping for breath.
So does cold water contribute to this? Was the wetsuit too tight??

for me that would be very cold, anything below ~24C is too cold! Similar thing happened to me during a cold swim (air temp was cold too), it was a bronchiospasm (I have asthma) triggered by the hard effort w/o sufficient warmup in the cold air/water. I think the air was worse factor. Fortunately it was only a ~400m swim or something like that. If this had been my first bronchiospasm or I wasn't a seasoned swimmer I could see how it could easily lead to panic and drowning. Have you been checked for exercise/cold induced asthma? Personally I don't like swimming in a wetsuit, but happy to use one when the water is cold. Try to get a few swims in with the wetsuit before the next race.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have had a bit of anxiety, but the sensation of gasping for breath isn't hyperventilation. That reads very much like an asthma attack (bronchospasms).

Definitely different than SIPE, which was also mentioned.

Once water temperatures get close to/below 15 C I get the same effect--I can be perfectly mentally fine (not terribly bothered by the contact/chaos of a swim start) but my respiratory system decides it's high time to completely close up. Feels like breathing through a coffee stirrer straw. No problems once 17 C or above, nor does it really matter if I'm wearing a wetsuit or not.

I've used my teammate's albuterol ~20 minutes before our colder races and try to spend some time in the water getting acclimated/warmed up. The combination has all but eliminated the problem--so I went to my doc and got a prescription for my own. Taking a single recommended dose before race does not require a TUE, unless your nebulizer is broken. :D

http://www.usada.org/...-list/athlete-guide/

Good luck and be safe!

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim have raced (fina rules) open water in 18 (wetsuits are not an option). It is easy sort out. Make sure you get in and get your face wet let water into your suit etc.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - severe lung constriction? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of great feedback from you guys. I have never experienced asthma before, and haven't shown any symptoms before - but this definitely felt 'abnormal'. I've been around water and swimming pools since I was born and I thought my mental clarity at the swim start was as good as usual (re: freaking out but not freaking out). It was evident in the first 50 meters things were definitely not going to go well.

I'm going to give some of these things a read and also at the next wetsuit swim let a bunch of water in my suit to acclimate better and spend more time warming up. I only had about 15-20 minutes before the race this time around and it didn't occur to me to flood the suit, either.

Maybe I can do an ice bucket challenge swimming pool edition.
Quote Reply