Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course
Quote | Reply
Any recon on this bike course? What's it like? It's hard for me to get a sense of it from the elevation profile.

How's the bike compared to something like vineman 70.3?

What about the run? I don't see an elevation profile for it.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering about this as well. bike course looks like gentle slope up 28mi, gentle slope down 28mi. But I won't be there before race day unfortunately so I echo your call for recon. doesn't appear to be as challenging as vineman but tough to tell from website.

site says run course is F-L-A-T.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it's the same course as the USA Productions Folsom Lake Long Course triathlon, on their website they have a bike course video preview and well as a link to a map my ride elevation and course profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Any recon on this bike course? What's it like? It's hard for me to get a sense of it from the elevation profile.

I live here. The roads are pretty rolling at times and can be crosswind heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:
I believe it's the same course as the USA Productions Folsom Lake Long Course triathlon, on their website they have a bike course video preview and well as a link to a map my ride elevation and course profile.

Yes, same course. It has some what I would consider small hills at the beginning part of the race. If you are used to hills, no big deal. If you are totally flat lander, then depending on your gearing and training, .... Overall not a real hard bike course.

And yes, the run should be real flat and real fast. This run is not the one used at the Folsom races so no one has tried it before.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

I live here as well and did the Folsom LC - according to the map there are some differences in the course. But the rolling parts appear the same. I really like hills and didn't re-con this course before the race 'cause I thought it was "flat" I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of rollers in the first half. After the hills I gut sucked into trying to stay w/guys I shouldn't have (they overcooked the bike and died on the really hot run). Lucky me I realized that I was overcooking too and backed off to salvage a decent run (had the AG bike split anyway). And, yes the flat section(s) are open enough so you'll feel any winds.

Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the rollers steep enough to get out of aero for? Do you get in the small chain ring?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Are the rollers steep enough to get out of aero for? Do you get in the small chain ring?

yes and yes. I race 40/51 w/ 12-23 cassette - no issues. I just looked up my data. Last climb ended @ 40k, downhill/flat(ish) for the rest of the ride (aero). I wouldn't "worry" about the hills, but know that they are there.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove the course yesterday. Didn't ride it, because some of the roads are VERY sketchy on a bike (no shoulder, and cars out that way can go very fast). My impressions: It's hillier than I was expecting based on the profile they posted on their web site. There are lots of false flats and inclines of @3%, several rollers, and a couple of decent hills. When I say decent hills, I mean hills of at least a half mile in length, and probably closer to a mile in length, with slopes of at least 8% and probably higher in certain places. The pavement along some of the bike course is not very good. I'm not talking potholes so much as just rough road. I'd say it's a harder bike course than Vineman. I am guessing about 2,500 to 3,000 feet of climbing for the 56 miles. There are also a few RR tracks we'll have to go over.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:

I'm not worried about the bike course - I live in Los Angeles and bike PCH (rollers, crosswinds, traffic, bad pavement) all the time.

What I want to know is how hot, exactly, is the run going to be? 80? 90? 100? 110?

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuvMyCrappyBike wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

I'm not worried about the bike course - I live in Los Angeles and bike PCH (rollers, crosswinds, traffic, bad pavement) all the time.

What I want to know is how hot, exactly, is the run going to be? 80? 90? 100? 110?

a weather forecast? How about "the weather is here, wish you were beautiful!" :-) sorry, I couldn't resist.

It's been noticeably cooler overall as of late. I'm too lazy to look up almanac data, but, in theory October could have a heat "blast," but, I'd say that's unlikely. Today, I'd guess it would be good racin' weather. Much better than the oven I cooked in when I did it a few months ago.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Rancho Cordova bike course [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
I drove the course yesterday. Didn't ride it, because some of the roads are VERY sketchy on a bike (no shoulder, and cars out that way can go very fast). My impressions: It's hillier than I was expecting based on the profile they posted on their web site. There are lots of false flats and inclines of @3%, several rollers, and a couple of decent hills. When I say decent hills, I mean hills of at least a half mile in length, and probably closer to a mile in length, with slopes of at least 8% and probably higher in certain places. The pavement along some of the bike course is not very good. I'm not talking potholes so much as just rough road. I'd say it's a harder bike course than Vineman. I am guessing about 2,500 to 3,000 feet of climbing for the 56 miles. There are also a few RR tracks we'll have to go over.

Hills are a relative thing. Sure not flat, but do not consider it a tough course. Would not worry about gearing compared to many much hillier courses in our area.

I have ridden the course during the folsom race. You are out in the sticks. Cars were never an issue.

I do not remember any of the bike course road being an issue. I sure have raced on much worse roads. Potholes in Calif, Nah.

Yep, harder than Vineman which I consider pretty flat with one small hill.

Going to be a great race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply