Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM LOU wetsuit question
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the Ohio River gets below 76 in October?
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [2moremiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet it will...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's probably a 99% chance that it will.
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys... It's a year away but I enjoy a competitive swim almost as much as dentist visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was 79 this year in the morning. The wetsuit should be fine and don't forget your anti-bacterial medicine.:)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
It was 79 this year in the morning. The wetsuit should be fine and don't forget your anti-bacterial medicine.:)

Haha! I,ll get the econo size neosporin and prophylactics take doxycycline.... Did you race it this past weekend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2moremiles wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

Haha! I,ll get the econo size neosporin and prophylactics take doxycycline.... Did you race it this past weekend?

Its really not that bad. I've been in that river 3 times and no ill effects.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

So it was not wetsuit legal this year??? Must have been a good current though as the swim times looked pretty quick, with the fastest guy at 44:31 by 25-yo Michael Schulz, an age grouper from FL, and the fastest woman Nina Kraft at 46:51. IIRC, Kraft usually swims 50-ish at Kona.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 27, 14 20:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wet suits were allowed (but not for podium or slots) this year for the first time ever (I think). Very few people were wearing them (I was a swim out volunteer -- I do not think there were more than a dozen or two). The fast times were because of a pretty good current this year (lots of rain in the week leading up to the race).
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
Wet suits were allowed (but not for podium or slots) this year for the first time ever (I think). Very few people were wearing them (I was a swim out volunteer -- I do not think there were more than a dozen or two). The fast times were because of a pretty good current this year (lots of rain in the week leading up to the race).

Ah, I see, thanks for that info. When you say "swim out volunteer", is this same as "lifeguard" or???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The exit point at IMKY is a vertical wall. This year, because of the rain, the water was almost even with the top of the wall, but usually it's lower. For the race, a temporary set of steps with railings is put into the water. Volunteers are placed on the stairs (in the water) and at the top of the stairs to assist the swimmers and to ensure they are steady before heading to T1. Because the steps are a bit of a choke point, it also helps to get the swimmers through that efficiently so it doesn't stack up. There were just a few swimmers who were really unsteady getting out (mostly due to leg cramping). Being a certified lifeguard was not a requirement for the job (but we were from a local masters team so most of are or used to be certified), the lifeguards were on kayaks, etc. in the water including right adjacent to the swim exit. We were in the water for about 2 hours. I expect next year the volunteers will be wearing wet suits with the water temp in the 60's and the air in the 40's (or maybe they will decide it is not so important to be in the water).
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
The exit point at IMKY is a vertical wall. This year, because of the rain, the water was almost even with the top of the wall, but usually it's lower. For the race, a temporary set of steps with railings is put into the water. Volunteers are placed on the stairs (in the water) and at the top of the stairs to assist the swimmers and to ensure they are steady before heading to T1. Because the steps are a bit of a choke point, it also helps to get the swimmers through that efficiently so it doesn't stack up. There were just a few swimmers who were really unsteady getting out (mostly due to leg cramping). Being a certified lifeguard was not a requirement for the job (but we were from a local masters team so most of are or used to be certified), the lifeguards were on kayaks, etc. in the water including right adjacent to the swim exit. We were in the water for about 2 hours. I expect next year the volunteers will be wearing wet suits with the water temp in the 60's and the air in the 40's (or maybe they will decide it is not so important to be in the water).

Ah, I see now what your role was. I had a friend doing the race this yr so I'll have to ask her about that. She was around 1:16 on the swim so she would have likely been in a bit of a crowd. Did everyone start together, or did the pro's start 5-10 min early??? Just curious since noticed the fastest swimmer was an AG-er, so wondered if he was the overall leader for the first miles of the bike:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro's went off 10 minutes early and they start from a line all of them already in the water. At 7:00 the AG's go off 2 different docks in a time trial start. If you were wearing a wetsuit they made them all go last.

Down river was crazy fast. I'm not a fast swimmer and finished in 1:24 but 45 minutes of that was the first 1/3 of the race going up river in the channel to the turnaround. It seemed like forever to get past a buoy heading out to the turn but as soon as you made the turn it seemed like you were flying.

Coming to the steps wasn't bad, they handled all of the people pretty well. The worst part was at the turn to head down river there were probably 25 to 30 people treading water trying to figure out what to do.

With the fastest swimmer being and AG, he still may have started around 7:20 AM.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Pro's went off 10 minutes early and they start from a line all of them already in the water. At 7:00 the AG's go off 2 different docks in a time trial start. If you were wearing a wetsuit they made them all go last.

Down river was crazy fast. I'm not a fast swimmer and finished in 1:24 but 45 minutes of that was the first 1/3 of the race going up river in the channel to the turnaround. It seemed like forever to get past a buoy heading out to the turn but as soon as you made the turn it seemed like you were flying.

Coming to the steps wasn't bad, they handled all of the people pretty well. The worst part was at the turn to head down river there were probably 25 to 30 people treading water trying to figure out what to do.

With the fastest swimmer being and AG, he still may have started around 7:20 AM.

Oh well, kind of a bummer for him IMO but you can't have everything. I thought I had read that most if not all IM races are having the pro's go off 5-10 min ahead of AG-ers. I just think it's cool to see who's really the fastest swimmer at T1, then swim/biker at T2, rather than having to look that stuff up in the results later. Anyway, thks for the info:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to go to the link below and put in a date range on the right hand side to get historical river temps. October temps last year looked like they were close to 70.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03277200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Oh well, kind of a bummer for him IMO but you can't have everything. I thought I had read that most if not all IM races are having the pro's go off 5-10 min ahead of AG-ers. I just think it's cool to see who's really the fastest swimmer at T1, then swim/biker at T2, rather than having to look that stuff up in the results later. Anyway, thks for the info:)

That's a moot point for next year anyway without pros at Louisville. But yes, a race that has pros will send them first. MPRO were 6:47, WPRO were 6:50, everyone else could get in the water starting at 7:00. The kid that had the fastest swim of the day (44:31) - looks like he didn't get into the water until 7:30. That also means he had to swim around/over almost the entire field. Makes the swim even more impressive without clean water.

I thought the swim was 3-5 minutes fast, compared to either a more "normal" current at Louisville or a wetsuit swim in a lake or something. Definitely very quick, especially after the turn buoy. Even the upstream portion wasn't bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avg temp is around 64 in Oct.

Owner of Dream Big Triathlon Coaching LLC
http://www.dreambigtriathloncoaching.com/
Last edited by: DreamBigTriCoac: Aug 28, 14 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [DreamBigTriCoac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Owner of Dream Big Triathlon Coaching LLC
http://www.dreambigtriathloncoaching.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [DreamBigTriCoac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the dock volunteering at the start. I was on the first dock away from Tumbleweed where everyone went in. I got soaked from people jumping in and had a great time!
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [rmcgrath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmcgrath wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

That's a moot point for next year anyway without pros at Louisville. But yes, a race that has pros will send them first. MPRO were 6:47, WPRO were 6:50, everyone else could get in the water starting at 7:00. The kid that had the fastest swim of the day (44:31) - looks like he didn't get into the water until 7:30. That also means he had to swim around/over almost the entire field. Makes the swim even more impressive without clean water.

I thought the swim was 3-5 minutes fast, compared to either a more "normal" current at Louisville or a wetsuit swim in a lake or something. Definitely very quick, especially after the turn buoy. Even the upstream portion wasn't bad.

Have to agree with this. After the first turn (.7 miles?) I felt like I was flying, but to be fair going up that .7 miles did not feel that terrible either. Much of that likely has to do with doing the practice swim the day before (heavily up current) and no other experience swimming the Ohio.
Quote Reply
Re: IM LOU wetsuit question [rmcgrath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmcgrath wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Where did you see this??? I'm not finding it in the regular results, even when I click on a person's name for their details...??? In any case, ya, swimming that fast (1:09/100 m) in and through 2000-ish people is even more impressive:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go.

http://www.ironman.com/...tail=1#axzz3Bk96TV4U

You can just go to the top of each column on the main results page and click the portion, SWIM, T1, BIKE, etc. Once you click on the title it will put them in order of finish, first to last. There will be blanks initially because "0" is less than one but go through pages until you see times and then they will be in order.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I swam 1:21. 40 minutes to turn, 41 minutes to exit
2014- 1:06 32 minutes to turn, 34 minutes to exit.

I thought the current was similar to last year, maybe slightly stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Here you go.

http://www.ironman.com/...tail=1#axzz3Bk96TV4U

You can just go to the top of each column on the main results page and click the portion, SWIM, T1, BIKE, etc. Once you click on the title it will put them in order of finish, first to last. There will be blanks initially because "0" is less than one but go through pages until you see times and then they will be in order.

Ah, very nice...so now i can see the real order of the swim times, thanks!!!

Quote Reply