Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers
Quote | Reply
My old boss and good friend Gary Crum is now director of this 2 mile ocean swim. IT is named after his dad and one of our ex chiefs and he asked me if I had, or knew anyone who had old printed results pre 1980. I did the swim in 80 and probably a few times before, but i threw out any of that stuff a long time ago. I know some of you here do the swim, perhaps you were there back in the 70's, or know someone that was?

Trouble for all the guys i know is that this swim was the morning after the Lifeguard Taplin competition, which went off at 9 PM. Then we all proceeded to get drunk and naked at some lifeguard party, which almost always ended up closing down whatever joint would allow 400 drunk lifeguards and groupies to enter their establishments.

And any of you in the LA area that want a great 2 mile OW swim to do, always the first week of August. Been going since 62, and i can say with 100% confidence that the course has never moved. Both piers are right where they always have been, so a fun race to compare from year to year. They even caved and now have a separate woman's start, and a wetsuit division. Used to be one of the last start everyone together and no wetsuit swims, but got to roll with the times.

Here is the results page, looks like they need 82 too. Check out the 80 race and the young hotshot in 10th. Fastest i ever went. And the 16 year old girl in 3rd is Diane Graner who in her 50's still gets close to top 10 overall. She even won one year overall, the best OW swimming woman I ever had to pleasure to know, surf swims that is..

http://www.surffestival.org/.../2014SwimResult.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A summer tradition, Only years I missed in the last 10 were due to illness/vacation
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a race that I wanted to do in the past when I was swimming a lot of OWS. (90's)
Never did it because they required a qualifying swim done there. Living on OC, I didn't want to drive an hour each way on another day to do the swim.
Never understood why wouldn't even take a recent result as proof.

Do they still do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I missed a year due to an injury so had to do the check out swim, Alex Kostich was in my checkout group. He's won it something like 5 times, so they don't discriminate. Last year had to do the checkout swim again but I got an email saying they had checked my results and waived it. Missed for the third time this year, so we'll see what they do next year.

I think I got 4 years in before they instituted two waves and then added wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just posted on facebook tonite that it originally went from Redondo Breakwater to MB and was a 3 miler due to construction on the HB pier, in '62
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa to Manhattan Pier to Pier swimmers, Old Timers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was before my time, so i will continue to compare all my results..(-;

It would be cool if they brought back that old 3 mile course though, swimming out through the redondo breakwater on a good swell would be very interesting, wondering if it is breaking on this big swell right now? Waves are cresting the pier here in Ventura county. And yes, they used to make everyone do the check out swim unless you did the previous years race, my best friend was the head of check outs and i could not even get a pass. But as you say, they now are a little more lenient on that, so if you petition with some good resume you could probably get in. But it was never a chore for me, just a good excuse to do a good work out after, usually the course, and then a good breakfast at Good Stuff on the strand..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wasn't up in SF I'd go look :) But I don't think so, the swell didn't make it to the south bay much, at least not that far down. Palos Verdes killed it. Torrance/burnout was pretty flat yesterday
Quote Reply