Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should i buy this P3
Quote | Reply
Sorry if there isn't a better place to post this question.... I'm riding an older cromoly road bike - which I love - and had been thinking of buying a new road bike to get more current and keep the old one company. Likely a carbon fibre with at least Shimano 105 and maybe getting back into tri's again. Not full ironman distance but likely short courses and maybe halfs. I understand the conventional wisdom of getting a road bike for the increased flexibility in uses and positions and that's why I've been leaning that way. However, a friend has loaned me his 2010 P3 (which he never uses) to just try out and maybe buy if i want it. Its WAY more bike than I would ordinarily consider - Sram red and Zipp 808's - but he'd sell it to me for a price way lower than I would even consider for a new road bike. The good deal is clouding my judgement. I've only taken it out once and, of course, am finding the new positions a bit awkward. Its just a beautiful machine and a hell of a deal. I don't really group ride so I'm trying the figure out if this would be a good idea or bad. Hate to pass on a good deal but don't want to get the wrong kind of bike. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy this P3 [sharv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry if there isn't a better place to post this question.... I'm riding an older cromoly road bike - which I love - and had been thinking of buying a new road bike to get more current and keep the old one company. Likely a carbon fibre with at least Shimano 105 and maybe getting back into tri's again. Not full ironman distance but likely short courses and maybe halfs. I understand the conventional wisdom of getting a road bike for the increased flexibility in uses and positions and that's why I've been leaning that way. However, a friend has loaned me his 2010 P3 (which he never uses) to just try out and maybe buy if i want it. Its WAY more bike than I would ordinarily consider - Sram red and Zipp 808's - but he'd sell it to me for a price way lower than I would even consider for a new road bike. The good deal is clouding my judgement. I've only taken it out once and, of course, am finding the new positions a bit awkward. Its just a beautiful machine and a hell of a deal. I don't really group ride so I'm trying the figure out if this would be a good idea or bad. Hate to pass on a good deal but don't want to get the wrong kind of bike. Lol.
Yes buy the bike.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of price, if it doesn't fit you, you should pass. Not saying it doesn't, but you don't say anything about whether it fits you or not.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy this P3 [cjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjj wrote:
Regardless of price, if it doesn't fit you, you should pass. Not saying it doesn't, but you don't say anything about whether it fits you or not.

CJ

Spot on....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for you man, very tempting offer...The P3 is a very nice bike, an awesome machine. But after you struggling to ride it because its either too big or too small, then I'm afraid it will be just remain a nice awesome bike for you to look at.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy this P3 [ac1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I went in to my LBS (who specialize in tri bikes incl Cervelo) and had them fit me to the bike. Size wise, its fine but as you know the P3 aero is a pretty low position - no spacers at present. I'm going to try it out again this weekend for a longer ride on a pretty wide open, smooth street and quieter part of town and see what I think. If it doesn't feel right, I'll take the pass. Hate to pass on a good deal but no sense spending money on something that'll just sit in the garage - tho it is very pretty to look at :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you already have a road bike that you love... And you are being offered a great deal on a tt bike to keep it company, and one that appears to fit you at that...

I'm not understanding the difficulty you're having with this ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take it and chuck in a case of beer.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy this P3 [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was me I would take it, fit it and test it.

If it then doesn't fit you or you don't get along with it as well as you'd hoped you have the option to sell it on.

If you got "mates rates" originally then there could be a profit to be made which you could (if you wanted to) split with your friend.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy this P3 [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much all for getting right to the heart of things. You're right. This is really a no-brainer lol. Another tri friend sees it just as you all do. I'll give 'er a go this weekend again and then re-confirm if the size is right at the LBS. If it is, I'll get it and then maybe make a few very minor modifications - notable switching the dead flat aero bars to ski jump style and any other reasonable suggestions at the LBS. Just for the heck of it, I'll let you know how it goes and maybe post a pic. Thanks again for the input. Cheers!
Quote Reply