Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HyVee Roll Call
Quote | Reply
Who's in? I'm racing Sunday and my son for the IronKids on Saturday. We're stoked. Any advise for first timers at HyVee?

Ryan
Practical Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: HyVee Roll Call [turby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to drink plenty and bring a chair Sat. I did a ton of walking and standing in the heat last year and it really hurt my race Sunday.

I'm registered for the Championship race but am going to pass on it as I'm doing IMWI the following weekend and it's just not worth the risk vs. reward, plus travel expenses. I might do it next year.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there racing on Sunday. Have a good race mate.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a couple of suggestions as this is our 3rd year at Hy-Vee.
  • There's a great farmer's market downtown on Saturday. Closes at noon, and there are a ton of street vendors and band playing. Certainly worth a visit.
  • Get your mandatory race briefing done early and don't spend much time at the "expo".
  • Scope out the new parking situation, as there are two parking lots (according to the athlete guide). We will not be using the large gravel parking lot of years past, so there will be lots of walking before and after the race.
  • Put your bike in early on Saturday and get off your feet.
  • Plan on hanging around the finish area as there will be freebies and ice cream!
  • Don't forget to arrange for late checkout at your hotel
  • Bring a pair of cheap flip-flops to discard as we'll walk from transition to the other side of the lake. You don't want a stone bruise.

Quote Reply
Re: HyVee Roll Call [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. Will be my first HyVee. Wave start at 7:11am. Anybody swim in the lake lately? How warm is the water ?
Quote Reply
Re: HyVee Roll Call [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their website shows 77F as of today. Hope they find that same "cold" spot this weekend :)

Ryan
Practical Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Web Site updated in the last hour: Now reporting Water Temperature: 81 F / 27 C

Forecast for the next few days is highs in 80's and overnight lows in the 60's. Rain chances for the next few days as well. Humidity is high and looks to stay that way through race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
  • There's a great farmer's market downtown on Saturday. Closes at noon, and there are a ton of street vendors and band playing. Certainly worth a visit.
  • Get your mandatory race briefing done early and don't spend much time at the "expo".
  • Scope out the new parking situation, as there are two parking lots (according to the athlete guide). We will not be using the large gravel parking lot of years past, so there will be lots of walking before and after the race.
  • Plan on hanging around the finish area as there will be freebies and ice cream!
  • Bring a pair of cheap flip-flops to discard as we'll walk from transition to the other side of the lake. You don't want a stone bruise.

I'm not sure how many of those ice cream sandwiches I ate last year post race but it wasn't a healthy amount :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice.

Hope you are comfy swimming in a hot tub...

Kscycler wrote:
Quote Reply