Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LOTOJA-Newbie
Quote | Reply
I'm doing LOTOJA on Sep. 6th and it will be my first time. Training has been great and I feel prepared with a couple of centuries in the past few months, one 140 miler and a couple 5 hr. trainer rides. I'm shooting for a 10:30 ride.
What are some newbie tips?
Has anyone on here rode it and not completed it?
Were the support stops good enough to get you through or should you pack your own food? Is there an actual "Lunch" stop where they provide sandwiches or something substantial? I don't have a support vehicle so that's why I ask.
Is there a way to drop clothing on the way and get it back at the end?
Are 2 water bottles good enough or should I carry 1 extra?
Most importantly how do I work it into every conversation to let people know that I did LOTOJA? I will be wearing the shirt, hat, socks and bibs everywhere I go so that should help.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: LOTOJA-Newbie [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friends/coworkers attempted it last year. In case you didn't know, someone threw tacks on the road in Utah, and it caused havoc. Many crashes, a number of riders had flats and ran out of tubes, and several people missed cut offs due to having to change tubes multiple times. In short, lots of DNF's.

So be careful out there.

Gonna be cold in Jackson, so I would hope they have a clothing drop for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
I'm doing LOTOJA on Sep. 6th and it will be my first time. Training has been great and I feel prepared with a couple of centuries in the past few months, one 140 miler and a couple 5 hr. trainer rides. I'm shooting for a 10:30 ride.
Were the support stops good enough to get you through or should you pack your own food? Is there an actual "Lunch" stop where they provide sandwiches or something substantial? I don't have a support vehicle so that's why I ask.
Most importantly how do I work it into every conversation to let people know that I did LOTOJA? I will be wearing the shirt, hat, socks and bibs everywhere I go so that should help.

this year will be my 5th time racing it. i live a few miles from the finish. can't recall a lll the times but the last one was ~9:15.

prior to the first time, the longest ride i'd done was just over 100 miles, but it was solo and had ~5000 of climbing. some people do long rides in groups and never pull, so it is hard to say if a certain length ride is enough. if you have the mental toughness to do 5h on the trainer (i don't!) then you'll be fine. there is a TON of energy on the route--people coming out of houses early in the morning to cheer you on, other racers/riders to draft off of, great support, etc. you'll likely be amazed by the positive lift from that alone.

my advice is to not get off the bike. i put a foot down 3 times to grab new bottles & food....maybe 10-15 seconds each stop. if you stop, you will very likely lose the group you were with. i'd plan to bring the food you want to eat.

logistics are a big deal not having your own support means you either have to carry a ton of stuff or get off the bike. neither is a great option. plan to lose whoever you are riding with....then having to try to find others who are equally matched -- and repeat this 2 or 3 times...however many you get off the bike.

you can drop some bags at registration and have them bring to FZs, i think, but i have no idea how that works.

i'd err on the side of carrying more water.

general rule is to get a neutral bottle on the way up strawberry, support (or stop, for you) in montpelier, get a neutral bottle atop salt river, then support (stop?) in afton and alpine......then maybe a neutral bottle at hoback.

it's pretty easy to ride it, but at some point -- perhaps 7 or 8h in -- many folks get squirmy. rarely are bike fits tested that way.

if you minimize stops as i suggested, 10:30 isn't a huge deal. it's hard to predict conditions, though; certain prevailing winds can make sections of the course really tough, esp if you are alone.

3 tips:
1: if you find a group to work with (assuming you are riding, not racing), do whatever you can to stay with them. if you are approaching a feed and need to get off the bike, try to talk with them to find out their plans. maybe they will wait (more likely if you are a good worker)?
2: it's good to work, but many people underestimate the day and are heroes in the first 30-50 miles. plan for the long-term. conserve energy & eat/drink early, even if you feel great. things might change 150 miles in.
3: if you do find yourself alone, battling a section of the course, takes look behind you. sometimes it is better to coast a bit and get caught by another group than to battle alone for a while, wasting energy, only to get caught by the same group just a bit further down the road.

enjoy! it's a super-cool experience. try to soak it in and smile even when it gets hard.

(one more tip: it's often a bit colder 10-15' after the start. be aware that the "comfortably cold" at the start may be uncomfortable when the temp drops 5-10F (as it typical) a few miles down the road.)

hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Xatefrogg [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...It's been snowing in Jackson, Targhee and Togwotee pass. It's been a very mild wet summer and it seems fall is coming soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you've got some great miles in your legs for LOTOJA and you're turning attention to the race logistics, food, fluids, etc, which is good. I did LOTOJA last year and I'm doing it again this year. The guys I train and race with are 8-10 year vets. One piece of advice, regardless of what weather.com says, pack your closet for this race. Take it all and decide on race morning what to wear. As others have noted, working with a group, conserving energy and staying well-fueled is the key to success. I don't know what the Neutral Feed is like as far as food items. I bring my own and my wife and friends provide support along the way. Make sure you have new tires installed and broken in with a few rides before. I carry two tubes and two CO2. The tacks on the road story is new to me...never heard that one before. All the climbing is over in the first 105 miles. Hardest stretch for me was Afton to Alpine - just mentally difficult. High pressure is supposed to build into the West and long-range forecasts are showing drier and cooler than normal conditions (knock on wood, hope I didn't just jinx it). LOTOJA is way more fun than an Ironman but don't expect much at the finish line. No food, no fanfare, nothing. Finish, load your bike in your car and go home. That's about it. Good luck, with your training, you'll do well and I predict that you'll exceed your time expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
'

so....how was your day?

it was so warm at the start yet never got terribly hot during the day. kind winds enabled my field to set a new course record (by 12 minutes...including 5 minutes of getting pulled over by highway patrol--yes, that happened), but i couldn't manage to pull out the win.
Quote Reply
Re: LOTOJA-Newbie [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
so....how was your day?

it was so warm at the start yet never got terribly hot during the day. kind winds enabled my field to set a new course record (by 12 minutes...including 5 minutes of getting pulled over by highway patrol--yes, that happened), but i couldn't manage to pull out the win.

WHUT. Do tell the story!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: LOTOJA-Newbie [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9:35 finish time. Awesome ride for me! I had a great day with no major mishaps. I stopped at 3 of the feed zones for a total of about 8 minutes. I ate a lot less than I planned but didn't have any issues, drank plenty. The KOM climb was a little tougher than I expected and that last canyon going into Jackson was unexpected but not too tough. It was just exhausting after 160 miles. I had in my mind that it was 206 miles but the Race route was 3 miles shorter so I got a nice boost for the last couple miles after another guy told me. The Feed Zones were pretty crazy and I lost my whole group at Montpillier but hooked back up with a few for 50 miles. I rode solo for about 30 miles total throughout the day and there was only 2 of us for the last 70 miles. If I do it again I think I could cut 10-15 minutes out through the feed zones and staying with a stronger group.
What's the deal with no food at the finish? I thought that was stupid. Why not take one of the first feed zones and bring it to the finish. It's not that hard is it?
My group was also warned by the Wyoming HP to stay single file.
It was a lot easier than an Ironman but something I will probably do again in a few years.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply