Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [JBAX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CB550 I built up from a basket case.

A Kawasaki F7 I rebuilt for a friends father

My old SV which I no longer have :(

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely gorgeous bikes Waricke!

For the OP;

I grew up around motos both street and dirt. The last bike I had is a 2006 Yamaha YZF600R. The final year before Yamaha discontinued it. I'd still have the bike but let my uncle learn to ride on it in a parking lot. He had a slice on his throttle hand he didn't tell anyone about... he sent the bike into a dumpster and he went flying the other direction. Bent the forks and the triple tree; so it was totaled out. I started looking for a new moto but had to have the transmission rebuilt on my car a few weeks later.

I miss motorcycles some of the time now but enjoy riding my bikes enough to not buy one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was into motorcycles years ago, mostly vintage crotch rockets. Nowadays all the guys my age who still ride are on Harleys , have pot bellies, grey hair and beards. Every now and then I think about getting another motorcycle, but fortunately common sense kicks in and I don't.
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 08 Ducati 848. It was a great nimble bike without enough speed to get me into big trouble.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is speedway season in So. Cal. right now and one can race 3 different tracks in one week. 500cc / alcohol burning / no brakes and a crash wall. You max the throttle, spin the rear wheel, then pitch it sideways and hopefully stay there. Then you hope the guy(s) next to you do the same. Pictured on the left is a guy whom I have been racing against all year. He was in the early 80's a top ten finisher @ Ironman World Championships. He shared the same office space with the owner (and friend) Dan Empfield of this site when they both were just starting their journeys in the trade. John Howard introduced him to the sport as he came from the Greg Lemond days of Cat 1 bicycle racing. He is one hell of nice guy. Does not look or act 60 years young. And fortunately for me can still handle something with two wheels attached to it. Even if it is a fire- burning dragon. We will be in the same bull- ring-of- race track this evening @ Industry Hills Speedway. Racing WFO. Pretty sure a few of you will recognize him. He speaks highly of the old group!

dr
Last edited by: racing lava: Sep 2, 14 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [GA_TRI_DAWG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it!!! Want one!!!!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1988 Ninja ZX750R [AKA Ninja GPX], mostly ride to work these days, been trying to sell her but always seem to fire her up every spring regardless.
Used to love riding out in the country at very fast speeds; but the older I get the faster I was.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adult Onset Motorcyclist. Started in 2009 at age 52 and bought an EX500 as my first. This spring I bought a 2003 V-Strom 1000. Love it. Now that Challenge Penticton is over and my Tri season is done I'm looking forward to getting some riding in before the snow flies.
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [racing lava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racing lava wrote:
It is speedway season in So. Cal. right now and one can race 3 different tracks in one week. 500cc / alcohol burning / no brakes and a crash wall. You max the throttle, spin the rear wheel, then pitch it sideways and hopefully stay there. Then you hope the guy(s) next to you do the same. Pictured on the left is a guy whom I have been racing against all year. He was in the early 80's a top ten finisher @ Ironman World Championships. He shared the same office space with the owner (and friend) Dan Empfield of this site when they both were just starting their journeys in the trade. John Howard introduced him to the sport as he came from the Greg Lemond days of Cat 1 bicycle racing. He is one hell of nice guy. Does not look or act 60 years young. And fortunately for me can still handle something with two wheels attached to it. Even if it is a fire- burning dragon. We will be in the same bull- ring-of- race track this evening @ Industry Hills Speedway. Racing WFO. Pretty sure a few of you will recognize him. He speaks highly of the old group!

george yates and dave ruby schooling the kids getting sideways on the track every week. then doing the same in a local triathon on the weekend! true ironmen!!! fun watching you guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this count :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty safe to say thee best ever triathlete to ride a moto was David Bailey. He was early days triathlon only to crash and get hurt in 1987 while racing professional for a factory motocross team. Being pit boy for my wife in 2000 I watched as he battled with some other animal I believe from Brazil named Carlos Moleda ? I recall seeing them exit the swim together. Off to their bikes. Only these two guys were hand cycles. As if Kona ain't tough enough. Then they cover the marathon in similar fashion. . David Bailey is one of the nicest most humblest human beings I have ever met. Honored to have him as a friend. He still announces for motorsports and....................word is he is signing up for an Ironman in 2015 to hopefully qualify and return to Hawaii. Hell WTC or whoever the f owns Mdot would be lucky to have a man with such character as he on those lava fields again. I hope he makes it and I hope Ironman see's the worth and beauty in it.

dr
Last edited by: racing lava: Sep 2, 14 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride and race motorcycles. In 2003 I broke my femur due to a highsider which took a year to recover from. The surgeon told me there was a chance I would not be able to walk normally again, so I started training for my first marathon to find out. This kickstarted my endurance sports career in 2005 which led to triathlons.

After my crash I have ridden road bikes, mainly to commute. Since it's pretty crowded on the roads in The Netherlands you will have some hair raising situations every now and after I got pushed of the road by an ignorant car driver (in 2010 I think) I decided to sell my motorcycle and leave it at that.

I do still miss it though, albeit more the racing than the riding.

Please ignore the fact I'm riding a Yamaha wearing a Honda suit in the picture below. This is on my favourite track Assen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMW R1200GS Adventure. Do not ride it as much as I want...due to the triathlon trainings....

Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [racing lava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting the photo of Bailey et. el.

I now have a place in Bozeman and am wondering where the photo was taken - and what "tri-school???"

anyway, he was/is a serious athlete; though many MX'ers of that era (don't know about today) were as well. Saw him race in '81 when he was starting to get Real fast, and he was so so smooth, compared to say - Hannah (who had just recovered from his water-ski accident). Excellent fitness + talent = WOW! I have both of those on "back order" :-(

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2003 anniversary edition Harley Road King. I have a full rear bag and windshield when the wife joins me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just landed a 1990 Harley Heritage Classic Softail w/ 3800 miles on it from a family member. I'm not a Harley guy by any stretch...Beemers are my style, but whatcha gonna do? Going to register it today and already rebuilt the carb. Better not take away from tri's and bike wrenching!!!

Quote | Reply
Haha, let me guess, you must be about 50 years old?
Quote Reply

Prev Next