Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka
Quote | Reply
This will be my first Ironman. Trying to decide between Whistler and Muskoka. Hoping for a sub 12 hours. Recently did Vancouver Olympic at 2:28 and Escape from Alcatraz at 2:53.

Advice and tips welcomed. Fearing that Muskoka may be too tough for a first timer.

V I
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [Vancouver Ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're fit enough to handle either one and fast enough to go sub 12 with the right training plan.

Maybe just choose the one that's closest to you. If they're both the same distance then choose the one with better scenery. In that case I would choose Whistler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver Ian wrote:

Advice and tips welcomed. Fearing that Muskoka may be too tough for a first timer.

V I

Just did Whistler this year and the venue was spectacular. However, I found it to be far more difficult than the other two IMs I've done (CdA and Switzerland). If Muskoka is more difficult than Whistler I want no part of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver Ian wrote:
Fearing that Muskoka may be too tough for a first timer.

V I

I live at sea level but decided to do IMLT last year as my first IM.

Don't worry about it. They are all hard. Just pick one and train for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muskoka is has a very tough bike course(raced the half a couple times). Its not so much long climbs but the roller sections never seem to end. There are a few steep, short climbs which can stop you dead if you are not prepared(right gear) for them. I really enjoy these courses as they seem to suit my riding style but everyone is different.

I dont think you can go wrong either way to be honest and as others have said...they are all hard. Just make sure you train

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing from your name you are from out here. Why go east to Ontario? If you don't want to do Whistler than look at CdA. It is driveable in a day from the lower mainland and a great vacation spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver Ian wrote:
This will be my first Ironman. Trying to decide between Whistler and Muskoka. Hoping for a sub 12 hours. Recently did Vancouver Olympic at 2:28 and Escape from Alcatraz at 2:53.

V I

Whistler and Muskoka should end up the same level of difficulty. Neither will be easy, but not Tahoe or St. George tough. Just did Whistler and have done Muskoka Half. I don't know where you live and if this factors in or not. As much as I want to tell you to come and do Muskoka, because I have raced in that community around 15x in my life, I have to say that you can't go wrong with Whistler. I am going back to Whistler and will also likely do Muskoka as it is a 3+ hour drive from home....trashed legs and all
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [trutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wife is from out east, wrapping it into a vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be biased, but how often do you get to be involved in an inaugural event?

Our community to working hard to make this event as much of a celebration of the athletes journey as it a celebration of the family and friends that supported the athlete to get where they are on race day. Being the last weekend before Labour Day, stay for a vacation with the family the week after as well in Ontario's cottage country to relax and enjoy.

Rich

Jon Morton
President, Triathlon Muskoka (TriMuskoka)
http://www.trimuskoka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did whistler this year as my first IM and it was awesome. The town is super easy to get around, plenty to do for the family, great scenery, and the support was phenomenal. Coming from flat TX I thought bike course was hard, but I managed.

I have nothing to compare it to but I crossed the finish line ready to do it again FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for Whistler, only because I did it 2013. Great race and close to you. However, I would not base a finish time off Escape or an Oly. I went 2:58 at Escape and 13 at Whistler, on track for a 11:XX finish until a few miles into the run. It's not only the right training plan, but the right execution,

But I agree with the poster above that said just pick one and go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fearing that Muskoka may be too tough for a first timer.

FWIW - the Whistler course in particular the bike, has developed a bit of a monster mentality. I would say that the bike course for both of these Ironman races is reasonably challenging. At Muskoka it's just a lot of up and down over the whole route - there is rarely any flat. The kicker at Whistler is the final 30 - 40K - all uphill and usually into a growing headwind!

I would not be worried about that fact that Muskoka is a first time event. There is a great org team behind this and they have been running a 70.3 race here now for a number of years.

Tough call.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman whistler is a difficult bike course. The weather is unpredictable so you can have hot or cold. I m taking it you are in vancouver? this would allow you to train on the course and gain confidence.

another option is Challenge Penticton, they are pricing it at 500$ for one of the best course in the world, and the best part, you can come training for a weekend in the summer and weather is 99% predictable....sunny and nice every single day for 3 months!!!

I know nothing about muskoka new course. Very nice place to..... but if i was to do a ironman back east, it would be Mt-Tremblant

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not also consider Challenge Penticton? Its in BC and they could use the support from age group athletes as well. Just an idea but one I think is worthy of some consideration.

If it were me choosing between the two I'd go Whistler and save the family from having a race weekend during their vacation.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what the issues / rep is with Whistler. I would rather ride some hills than be stuck tucked in aero for over 5 hours on a flat straight road. If you can ride hills (as in not get out of your saddle and rocket up the first one you come across) then there's no issue. Just stay at the same effort, enjoy the ride. I'll be going back again and despite my much voiced opinions about the corporate whorebag shenanigans at WTC I am first to admit that they do a decent job of putting a race on and Whistler's community seemed all over the run course .... muchos crowd cheering, Olympic plaza is a great spot for the expo and awards and in the days surrounding the race Whistler is pretty sweet.

That said ... Challenge Penticton has a great bike course I think, better than Whistler in my opinion.

I don't know anything about Muskoka other than it sounds like an aftershave ingredient.

Vancouver Ian wrote:

V I

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for a beautiful and challenging course you can't go wrong with either of them.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing whistler next year and I would expect the long climbs of whistler easier in terms of getting in a rhythm than the short punchy hills of muskoka.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I did whistler this year as my first IM and it was awesome. The town is super easy to get around, plenty to do for the family, great scenery, and the support was phenomenal. Coming from flat TX I thought bike course was hard, but I managed.

I have nothing to compare it to but I crossed the finish line ready to do it again FWIW.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of making Whistler a family trip / race next summer. So you are saying there was a good amount of stuff to do in Whistler for the family? Are there any particular accommodations or attractions you would recommend while there? Either in Whistler itself or the surrounding area also?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of making Whistler a family trip / race next summer. So you are saying there was a good amount of stuff to do in Whistler for the family? Are there any particular accommodations or attractions you would recommend while there? Either in Whistler itself or the surrounding area also?

Thanks,

I did Whistler this year and highly recommend it as a family destination. There are a number of options in the village and that's where I'd recommend staying.

I'd never been to Whistler before and was blown away by how beautiful the area was. The bike course kicked my butt (my slowest IM bike split by a wide margin) but part of that was bad gearing choices (went with a 12/25 and based on my ability probably should have been at least an 11/28) and part was due to a lingering stomach virus. None-the-less, the course was spectacular and crowd support was great.
Last edited by: Patrick E: Sep 17, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:

Thanks,

Luke, stay at the Delta Suites in the village. Not cheap but not crazy expensive and worth the premium (plus you can cook your own stuff and save a few $$$ that way). Perfect location and ton of stuff to do with family. In fact too much stuff to do. I'd train for the "too much stuff to do" by walking 5k per day so that your legs are not trashed race week from all that!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there Dev and gang,

For those of you who want an up to date preview of the course, and see what the 70.3 event is like, which the full IM Muskoka promises to be more energetic, family oriented, and spectator friendly, take a look at the video from this year:

Watch the race day video on Vimeo or

The challenge that will face the athletes will be twice as long, which means that you get to take in all the beauty and splendour that Muskoka has to offer...twice.

Share it around. We are very proud to call ourselves Triathlon Country.

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rich,

I'm also mulling Muskoka - any idea how many have registered and what the registration cap is?

Thanks!

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie IM: Whistler or Muskoka [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi here Scottt,
Not sure what registration is at currently but the cap for IMMuskoka is around 2200.
Rich

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first in Whistler this year. The venue and race were awesome. The bike course on it's own is difficult, not hard, it's the unpredictability of the weather that can really make it bite. This year it got brutally hot on the way back from Pemberton. That hill, in that heat, took a lot out of people. If the race was two days earlier, it would have been cold, windy and rainy.

However, you're in the area, so you will be training through similar weather the whole year (wind, rain, hopefully summer heat). Also, while there was a lot of climbing, I felt like I got enough climbing training just by riding my regular routes around here in Victoria where the terrain is very undulating. Throw in the odd long hill climb day (like Hurricane Ridge, Mt Baker, North Shore mountains) and you'll be more then prepared.

Also, if it's your first there will be a certain amount of stress involved. I would aim to minimize logistics and do it as close to home as possible. Less stress, more enjoyable for you and the family, and so on.

I'm a 5 hour guy on the Vancouver HIM course. I was hoping for under 12 at Whistler, but my race came to an abrupt halt a few km in to the run and ended up walking/wobbling my way to a 13:13. It is a very tough, but rewarding course.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have never done Muskoka, I have done Whistler and the family vacations there regularly. I have never had a bad time in Whistler. Reading through the thread it seems as if you and your wife live out here and she is from back east and you were thinking about making it a vacation. Don't try that on your fist IM. You will be so mentally wrapped up in the race you will not be able to enjoy your time back East and that will likely trickle down to Ms Vancouver Ian as well making that family trip more about your race. Once you have a few under your belt and know what to expect etc then you should be fine. Whistler is so close for you. (pink) The bike course has hills...so what its a loop, that means that you will be descending as much as climbing, there are a few spots on that course I didn't pedal for a few miles and was avg 40+ mph!!! I set PRs in everything at Whistler compared to my previous IM's at CdA, Ky, and AZ. I truly feel the reason for this was I was able to train on the course. It prepared me mentally and that is HUGE on race day, probably even more so on your 1st. By the time it came to race day, I had already swam, rode, and run the entire course, so I knew what to expect. Since Whistler is in your backyard, you shouldn't have to burn much Vacation time or money on hotels etc so the trip back east should still be do able.
Quote Reply