Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Few Carbon Clincher Rim Questions
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a set of import off Amazon or eBay and I am thinking of going 50mm front and 88mm rear. I ride in windy areas, so crosswind stability is a large concern for me.

1. Is a 50mm front wheel going to be reasonably stable in the winds, or should I go down to a 38mm front?

2. I can get the wheels in widths of 20.5mm, 23mm or 25mm. My training wheels are 19mm, so 20.5mm would be convent. However, I am under the understanding that the width plays a large role in strength as well as crosswind stability with wider rims being both stronger and more stable in winds, correct?

3. Does my tire size need to match the rim size in order to get the designed aero effect? As in can I go with a 20.5mm wheel and 23mm tire? I ride in an area with very crappy roads, so I thought going with a 20.5mm rim and a 23mm tire would protect the rim a bit.

Thanks!
Last edited by: audiobahn1000: Aug 20, 14 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Few Carbon Clincher Rim Questions [audiobahn1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. most people find 50mm front wheels to be fine 99.9% of the time

2. not necessarily to either question. The more important consideration would be the overall aerodynamic shape of each option, and what width tire will you be running on the wheels

3. narrow wheel big tire tends to be bad aerodynamically. there isn't really any need to do that to protect the rim anyway. If you plan to run 23mm tires I would go with one of the wider options, all else equal

audiobahn1000 wrote:
I am looking at getting a set of import off Amazon or eBay and I am thinking of going 50mm front and 88mm rear. I ride in windy areas, so crosswind stability is a large concern for me.

1. Is a 50mm front wheel going to be reasonably stable in the winds, or should I go down to a 38mm front?

2. I can get the wheels in widths of 20.5mm, 23mm or 25mm. My training wheels are 19mm, so 20.5mm would be convent. However, I am under the understanding that the width plays a large role in strength as well as crosswind stability with wider rims being both stronger and more stable in winds, correct?

3. Does my tire size need to match the rim size in order to get the designed aero effect? As in can I go with a 20.5mm wheel and 23mm tire? I ride in an area with very crappy roads, so I thought going with a 20.5mm rim and a 23mm tire would protect the rim a bit.

Thanks!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Few Carbon Clincher Rim Questions [audiobahn1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could just get a front and use a disc cover for any rear wheel.

If you want to use larger tires (like 23mm+) I'd definitely go for the wide one. The crosswind stability should be better, as well as being more aero.

What are the specific wheels you are looking at?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SPL Tech [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Aug 21, 14 19:20