Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

slowman on babbittville
Quote | Reply
I know there is the article on the front page but I don't have Facebook to comment over there.
Good interview there, Dan. It made my commute (and back) today infinity times more enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Re: slowman on babbittville [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess this is the replacement for the old Competitors Radio podcast. I noticed recently it stopped downloaded new episodes a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - it is a good conversation between two genuine pioneers, and legends in the sport and business of triathlon.

I'm grateful to call both of these men friends, and they have both been mentors of mine at various levels over the years.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - that was a fantastic conversation. Just bummed he didn't ask Dan how much he benched...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: slowman on babbittville [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on how much I weigh. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked the interview with Dan and some of his comments in regards to the wetsuit issue in the dryer. That hit home and I would love to play that part of the clip to everyone at my work.
Quote Reply
Re: slowman on babbittville [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would like a text version if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. It was great to hear those two talk and Dan is just such an insightful guy. I've known Dan's history in the sport but it was really interesting to hear how things came about through his perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although we had run into each other since 1980 in different triathlons, it wasn't til that trip he talked about where he hit all the masters swim teams and did the occasional pro test did we really become good friends. I was the guy in Carlsbad in 87 that he targeted to test out his new super suit. I was still under the misguided impression that wetsuits would slow a good swimmer down, but was open to try this thing out, i was at the pool anyway. I swam a 400 in it, looked at the clock, and did not say anything right away. I got out, got dressed, and then he said what did i think?

I said that i would tell him right after he gave me the west coast rights to sell it. And i told him i could get just about every pro in the sport in one too, right after i had at least a 1/2 season head start. We shook hands and i think i sold 386 suits that year, i believe his biggest single customer. I bought interest in a local Del Mar bike shop and we sold the hell out of those suits, making more money there than on bikes. It was such a novelty and most bike shops would buy one or two to try out, i bought a 100, because as a triathlete i just knew that everyone in the sport was going to get one of these new fangled, super fast wetsuits.

It was a great interview, but it went so fast that he really did not get to tell his bike story. More good stories for later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun interview. I'm glad these two are leaders in our sport.
Quote Reply