Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are your favorite "layers" of clothing for training/hiking?
Quote | Reply
I'm always on the hunt for the most technical "kit" that can keep me warm/dry/cool, etc. through the most varied conditions. I just suffered a fail on a Pacific Northwest hike....bad base layer that didn't wick and was wet/cold despite a decent mid/shell.

So I'm interested in what you veterans have settled upon over years of trial/error. This could be for running/cycling. I'm also interested in layering for day hikes....say temps from 40s-70s to keep it simple. (Real cold weather gear is a diff animal).
Baselayer
Mid layer
Shell
Specialty pieces
Looking for those items that you find invaluable. I'd love to nail a minimalist approach that works well across various climes.
Thanks,
H

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Last edited by: holdencain: Aug 20, 14 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: What are your favorite "layers" of clothing for training/hiking? [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holdencain wrote:
I'm always on the hunt for the most technical "kit" that can keep me warm/dry/cool, etc. through the most varied conditions. I just suffered a fail on a Pacific Northwest hike....bad base layer that didn't wick and was wet/cold despite a decent mid/shell.

So I'm interested in what you veterans have settled upon over years of trial/error. This could be for running/cycling. I'm also interested in layering for day hikes....say temps from 40s-70s to keep it simple. (Real cold weather gear is a diff animal).
Baselayer
Mid layer
Shell
Specialty pieces
Looking for those items that you find invaluable. I'd love to nail a minimalist approach that works well across various climes.
Thanks,
H

My favorite items are very versatile. My Patagonia Nano Puff is by far my favorite. The most warmth in the lightest package. It also stuffs into it's own pocket and makes a great camping pillow. I have worn it at 6 degrees with a couple of layers underneath and at 50 degrees with just a t-shirt underneath and have been comfortable in both extremes. I also like the Patagonia Houdini for a wind shell. It is durable and packs down impossibly small. A wool neck gaiter can be cinched at one end and worn as a hat also. My favorite cap for running and hiking is my ice breaker pocket beanie. I'll never buy another cap.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: What are your favorite "layers" of clothing for training/hiking? [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top: I tend towards pricier, but it works and lasts a long time for me.
Base: Craft, Castelli, or Arc'Teryx Phase SL. I have long sleeve and sleeveless for different conditions.
Mid: maybe no mid layer. I like ones hat 3/4 zip. Arc'Teryx Motus or Phase AR. Maybe Patagonia R1 if it's in the 40's, but those get hot.
Shell: rarely will I wear one, unless in serious wind. It just gets too hot. But I carry a minimalist one. If I'm deep in the mountains, I'll have a heavier on in my pack.

Bottom: wicking underwear. Cheap Nike or Craft spandex.
Shorts or tights.

That's it. Back up shell pants.

I do triathlons, run, and do a lot of fast hiking and mountain running. I sweat a lot and stay pretty warm. For sweat management, I carry extra stuff if I have a pack, like three extra bandanas or headbands, or an extra hat if it's cold.

Less is more: if you're sweating a ton or stuff gets saturated with sweat, start with fewer layers.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your favorite "layers" of clothing for training/hiking? [Whiny Will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whiny Will wrote:
Less is more: if you're sweating a ton or stuff gets saturated with sweat, start with fewer layers.
Thanks WW and a MP for replies.
I'm def interested in "less is more". I don't mind paying for it. Getting too hot sucks...and once you are wet/cold at the base layer it's hard to recover even with dry outer stuff.
H

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply