Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boa closure vs buckles?
Quote | Reply
In the market for some new road shoes. Have been using spesh Pro model for a while and wonder folks think of the Boas found on their S-Works and Expert models? Better than buckles or more of a fad?
Quote Reply
Re: Boa closure vs buckles? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boa is vastly better than buckles, IMO. For road shoes. I have Spec Expert and love them. Would not spend the money on S-Works though. Outrageous.

For tri shoes nothing beats Velcro. Maybe Boa for longer tris when transition times aren't as important.
Quote Reply
Re: Boa closure vs buckles? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a lightly used pair of the s-works road shoes. Love them. I never adjusted shoes mid-ride before, but a couple clicks here and there is fantastic.

Liked them so much I bought the s-works tri shoes. Raced in them once. Wasn't a fan of the Boa in a race situation and it bottomed out before the shoe was snug. Guess my feet shrank in cold water.

Sold them and went back to a single Velcro strap for my tri shoes.

But no buckles for me. I would like to try the Giro Empires with laces though.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i opted for buckle road shoes last fall. wanted something durable and proven over the long haul. i use them for both long and short races and I don't think there is much time lost by having to do them up. i usually make up the lost time on the bike anyway;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 pair of the S-Works. For me, the Boa closure feels like the shoe is snug without pressure points. The only buckle shoe that's come close were the old Sidi Energys with a buckle and two "twisties". I can't prove this, it's just a feel thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Specialized Pro road shoes with buckes and Sworks MTB shoes with the boa. The boa is vastly superior. It's much more comfortable, makes adjustments way easier and more accurate, and without all the extra material and bulk associated with buckles and straps, makes the upper much more supple. I won't be buying shoes with straps and buckes again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden both and I prefer the Boa closures. Not that buckles are bad, but the Boas allow much finer adjustment with more even pressure on your foot. Can be easier to operate through some shoe covers (really depends on the specific scenario).

That being said, note that Specialized uses (at least when I had my shoes) two levels of Boa. The S-Works shoes the dials can go both ways so you can tighten or loosen click by click. The lower level shoes if you overtighten, you have to completely release the closure and start over. It was never a deal breaker (especially with the crazy high price of the S-Works) to have the lower enclosure but it is not nearly as convenient for adjusting on the fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S-Works shoes with Boa are awesome. Prior to them, I've had Shimano shoes with velcro, Carnac shoes with buckle, and Specialized shoes with buckle. The S-Works fit my feet like a slipper, are super lightweight, and easy to adjust on the road if desired. Honestly, I guess some cycling shoes may be comparable, but I can't imagine anything would be better, for me at least. Worth every penny if you ride a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Boa but they slip a lot so am always tightening them as I ride (this is across 3 different pairs of Sworks, incl the mtb version). Have just bought the Giro Empire shoes with actual shoe laces.....and love them. Much more comfortable and once you lace them up you never adjust them for the rest of the ride - think this is helped by the shoe material which seems to have more stretch than any other brand. What's old is new again.

Quote | Reply
I've been using Spec Expert Boa shoes for a year or so and recently did a few rides with my old Sidis with buckles, and that's when I really appreciated the comfort of the Specs. What I've worried about is what happens if you are out on a ride or getting ready for a race and the plastic stringy thing breaks? Has anybody experienced this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have boa on my spec expert road shoes love them

Kind of wanted the sworks tri shoes but the red is just too much for me to handle so I have the velcro experts there, which I find fine but kind of want the boa.

did a mtb ride for the first time in a year last night and the buckle was annoying me.

I think I'll be looking for boa snowboard boots this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Boa closure vs buckles? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used boa's on snowboard boots years ago and would never go back to laces, you can crank them up really tight should you feel the need, and can ease them off easily on the lifts, they also seem to pull up nice and evenly unlike laces.

I got a pair of boa bike shoes recently and like them a lot, (Louis Garneau ls100's) I have to say the Lake shoes with the boa on the heel are interesting, I coulnt fin any to try on in the UK though.
Quote Reply