Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also consider Paris-Tours to be the end. Since your thread title mentions WorldTour races we can also include Beijing. :)

Otherwise all that's left now is the Giro route announcement tomorrow. Not sure when the Vuelta and Tour have theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great play by Martin, that's my favorite (I.e. only) move when coming in with a group. Come from way back and past so fast that nobody can catch up if there's a moment's hesitation. Winning a monument is certainly a good way to wash away any lingering disappointments on the season.

Only thing that bums me out about Valverde's 2nd is he took the overall lead. He and Gerrans are truly epic wheel suckers, don't feel bad for either everything they come up short.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, Valverde has at least won San Sebastian and Roma Maxima this year by attacking. Gerrans not so much. I actually used to like Gerrans, but him getting too good at wheel sucking does make me less inclined to root for him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, but those don't exactly erase punting the past two world championships for being passive, just for starters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
well, Valverde has at least won San Sebastian and Roma Maxima this year by attacking. Gerrans not so much. I actually used to like Gerrans, but him getting too good at wheel sucking does make me less inclined to root for him

People get more upset about wheel sucking than epo sometimes =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great, exciting finish. Love to see a guy just go for it like that and then hold on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I think Gerrans knows what he needs to do to be successful and it's worked well for him in the past. The more opportunities he has to do things a bit differently the more confident he'll get and maybe he'll strike out a bit more in solo efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine it is more his physiology that dictates his conservative tactics than choice, but there is no way for us to know for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerrans has a wicked kick so he rolls the dice on someone else dragging him into a position to win. Valverde, OTOH, is a much better all arounder--he can sprint, climb, TT, etc. So he has more tools to work with but chooses not to.

I think Lombardia was a case of Martin making a great move and then those guys looking at each other, not wanting to drag someone up to get beat in sprint. So they gamble that someone else will do the work for them or otherwise race for scraps. Same exact thing as worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Martin made the perfect move for him, and it worked.

Doesn't always work but all you can do is make the odds as high as possible.

Carl Spackler wrote:

I think Lombardia was a case of Martin making a great move and then those guys looking at each other, not wanting to drag someone up to get beat in sprint. So they gamble that someone else will do the work for them or otherwise race for scraps. Same exact thing as worlds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Gerrans has a wicked kick so he rolls the dice on someone else dragging him into a position to win. Valverde, OTOH, is a much better all arounder--he can sprint, climb, TT, etc. So he has more tools to work with but chooses not to.

That's why I'm more sympathetic to Gerrans. I see him as an underdog punching above his weight vs. Valverde who comes across as an underachiever. So basically overachiever vs. underachiever and everyone loves an underdog.

Also Valverde must have the record for most world championship podiums without a win. Imagine if he'd won all of those times. Or if Fabian had won MSR the last four years. Or even, more realistically, if Martin had won LBL and Lombardia.

Martin is a smart rider and I think he'll be in the hunt in those two monuments for at least the next five years or so. In terms of his palmares I think he could emulate someone like Bettini. Going to be hard to get that MSR win though.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, so how do the odds work out starting at each other when Martin blows by 350m from the line? Not so good, unless you're racing for 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Right, so how do the odds work out starting at each other when Martin blows by 350m from the line? Not so good, unless you're racing for 2nd.

This is why pros need teams. There are no cat 5s to chase without logic. Don't chase Martin, 90% chance of lose, chase martin, 90% chance of lose.

So they look at each other.

heh

Last edited by: jackmott: Oct 6, 14 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Whatever you think of his tactics, Gerrans won LBL this year as I recall.

My take: he makes the most of what he's got. He's not a pure sprinter or climber or time-triallist but can read a race (in every sense) and that is not to be underestimated. To be fair, he probably misread Kwiatkowski's move in the worlds and had to make do with 2nd. How many people make do with second at the worlds? Apart from Valverde of course.......
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, any rider makes due with what they've got. Gerrans has great palmares but at worlds and the Olympics there's first and "nobody cares." I doubt he was celebrating much, but if he'd taken one pull the win was almost a sure thing. You don't get to wear a special kit the rest of your life for winning LBL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like we're almost violently agreeing. Except that I rate Gerrans tactics higher than you do. Agree that worlds & olympics are special - and I think coverage showed that he was rueing his lost chance (while trying to be respectful) in Ponferrada. But monuments are pretty cool to and Gerrans now has two.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three, actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the third? He's got stages at all three GT's but I thought only MSR and LBL from the monuments. Is there another?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
Whats the third? He's got stages at all three GT's but I thought only MSR and LBL from the monuments. Is there another?

Yes, it's only two at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yes, I confused myself with what I was tryng to say.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Season bike World Tour races (e.g. Vuelta, UCI Worlds, and Lombardia); spoilers abound [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well then, they botched it again. all that putzing with 8km to go... all the big favs (Degenkolb, Demare, and GvA) deserved to have lost out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, this; yikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that was close. Which team car was that? A pro continental team I assume because I couldn't recognize it.

Missed the race today because I slept all day after staying up to watch Kona. Congrats to Wallays for taking the win. Sounds like lots of indecision.
Quote Reply

Prev Next