Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form?
Quote | Reply
Anyone fill this out?

I have two pairs of vibrams. Seems I'm "entitled" to my money back.

I think this is the form: https://www.fivefingerssettlement.com/claim/

BUT it seems too easy to be true.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too easy? I would say! I would think twice about filling uot any form that is asking for your bank's routing # and account #......
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [SteveW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way I'd fill that info out. But you can elect to have a check mailed to your home address. I'd go that route.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get "The site's security certificate is not trusted!

Just a guess, but likely not legit. Seems to me the settlement docs would be carried by a legal firm or directly from Vibram. I wouldn't give them anything remotely close to my information.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That site seems legit to me. I guess I'm the only one around here that actually pays attention to class action lawsuits from time to time.

In most cases the court will order the company to register a domain like this one specifically for the lawsuit. Also, class action settlement forms are in most cases this easy to fill out

And finally, there are numerous sites with serious reputations on the line stating that the linked site in the OP is legit. There is literally zero reason to think this claim site is a scam.
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be right. I don't follow class action suits at all. I am overly cautious given all the internet scams and phishing attempts. The site seemed to have a few red flags to me (overly simple web-page, no real link to the company, asking for bank account information) is that expected in class action lawsuits?

I missed the check option in my first scan of the page, not sure that would change my mind, but would be safer....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang on, what's this about? I will google in the meantime.
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
That site seems legit to me. I guess I'm the only one around here that actually pays attention to class action lawsuits from time to time.

In most cases the court will order the company to register a domain like this one specifically for the lawsuit. Also, class action settlement forms are in most cases this easy to fill out

And finally, there are numerous sites with serious reputations on the line stating that the linked site in the OP is legit. There is literally zero reason to think this claim site is a scam.

A google search confirms this. The site is also registered to a legitimate CPA and consulting firm and firms such as this are commonly contracted for disbursement activities in class action suits such as this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang on this is what I do for a living....

Cert issued by Starfield cert authority? Never heard of them.
http://www.starfieldtech.com/...rver_certificate.htm

They look legit but they are a small shop and probably lack checks that Thawte or VeriSign would perform when issuing a cert. (Someone got a cert warning? That's because these guys are so small your device or OS developer did not include their root cert in the cert store.)

Domain is hosted on GoDaddy. These people own the domain:

Registrant Name: Jeff McCann
Registrant Organization: Heffler, Radetich & Saitta LLP
Registrant Street: 1515 Market Street
Registrant Street: Suite 1700
Registrant City: Philadelphia
Registrant State/Province: Pennsylvania
Registrant Postal Code: 19102
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Phone: +1.2156658870
Looks like a CPA firm?

The site itself is hosted on content delivery network CloudFlare. Hmmm again a small shop. They are a reverse proxy, so the site is somewhere else and not on the 104.20.7.4. Site could be with GoDaddy but we don't know. There's probably a way to find out but I don't want to spend too much time on this.

There's never a 100% guarantee with these things so let's say I'm 95% convinced this is real. But it was put together rather amateurish using 2nd or 3rd grade providers. I'd be wary of their database getting hacked, if it hasn't already, and private info stolen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://m.runnersworld.com/...-lawsuit?page=single

Same website is referenced in the above article from May detailing the class action lawsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I filled in my info (no bank info).

It was my name, address and email. I can get that googling myself, so I could only have potentially made it easier for someone to send me spam. We'll see what happens. Best case, I get reimbursed for two pairs of vibrams and I can go out and buy three pairs of real shoes, last year's model, and have money left over for a coffee. Worst case, they find out where I live and send someone out to kill me and take away my birthday.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Aug 20, 14 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but did your Five Fingers cause some sort of injury etc? Personally I own a few pairs but mostly enjoy them as kick around shoes..I know..trust me..I get the looks already around town.

I wont be participating in this primarily because, just my semi-educated opinion on this Five Fingers case, is that a bunch of folks read "Born to Run", bought a pair and simply overdid it or jumped off the sofa in a pair and thought they would be a au-natural tarahumara runner in a matter of weeks. I'm sure the point has been made (obviously, and convincenly since the there is now money due to owners) that the advertising of the benefits of running in these was misleading, or just plan shitty. Have no doubt that Five Fingers rode the hell out of the wave created by BTR and clearly did not regulate themselves..

Anyhow, I would likely be singing a different tune if I were one of the above folks, but I'm not.

Now if you excuse me I have to go creep out other parents at daycare while picking up my son. For what it's worth the 2-3 year olds out there think they are pretty cool :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if this young lady joined the lawsuit

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but did your Five Fingers cause some sort of injury etc?

I don't think you sound like a jerk.
Did the shoes cause an injury? Nope. But that's not what the lawsuit is about. While I did find them incredibly uncomfortable to run in, and stopped wearing them, I'm not blaming injury on them (but hey, I did mysteriously break my hip last year and the doc says it was due to running, and I did run a lot in Vibrams, but I ran a lot in regular shoes too. 100 mile weeks was just too much for this guy... but I digress).

Vibrams claimed they'd help everyone run more "naturally" and that the shoes were "better" for us. I admittedly fell onto that bandwagon (before I read that silly but entertaining barefoot book), and while I was skeptical, I figured I'd give them a try. If they did make me run the way I'm "naturally" supposed to, then it would be a win. Problem is they DON'T do what Vibrams claimed. So I was sold a lie. That's the injury and why I never wear them anymore, and feel I wasted good money. Now I can get that money back and buy a pair of shoes I'll actually run in... great. Problem solved.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Aug 20, 14 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Vibram Lawsuit Claim Form? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

I think the article fails to mention it was actually the fashion police who arrested her.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I think the article fails to mention it was actually the fashion police who arrested her.

A additional negative to Vibram Five Fingers that often goes unreported - they are NOT what you want to be wearing in the back of a squad car nor on a jail house floor. Thankfully I've never done time...but if my feet get soaked running in them through the lightest of rains..well..whatever is on the respective squad car floor and/or floor of a jail cell..well..you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definitely no banking info, but sure, I'll take some money back for my Five Fingers. Why not?

I actually bought three pairs -- wore out two of them (walking the dogs and yardwork, I quickly realized running in them was not for me), but I only have one receipt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't bring myself to fill out that form. I have four pairs and love them all, the suit was mildly BS, i feel like any reasonably person would not have thought that Vibram meant they would instantly become better runners. they even say in the literature that there is an inherent risk in changing running styles and you need to be super careful and work hard to get used to it and subsequently improve... sorry for the rant, my point was, i don't feel like they mislead or cheated me in any way, so i couldn't bring myself to take my money back.
Quote Reply