Login required to post replies

Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat
Quote | Reply
http://denver.cbslocal.com/...acks-near-steamboat/

Local
Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat
August 19, 2014 11:39 PM

View Comments
Related Tags: Boulder, Highway 131, Jim McCreight, Lake Catamount, Routt County, Steamboat Springs, Steamboat Triathlon, Triathlon, Without Limits
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – The search is on for the vandals who are targeting cyclists after tacks blew out the tires of a group of triathletes over the weekend.
The crime happened Sunday morning along a stretch of road outside Steamboat Springs during the biking portion of the Steamboat Triathlon, which takes place around Lake Catamount.
Race organizers said they knew something was wrong when an unusually large number of competitors wound up with flat tires.
“All the sudden I see two flats, and I’m saying, ‘There’s something is going on,’ ” Dr. Jim McCreight said.
McCreight sponsored the triathlon and competed in it, and wound up with a flat.
“The case — what it came down to, were tacks. And in this case a number of tacks,” he said.
Over the past two days a conversation has been going on on social media that indicates a trend — both competitive and recreational cyclists say they have gotten flats from tacks on a stretch of Highway 131.
“I think Highway 131 is definitely tagged,” McCreight said.

(credit: CBS)
Race organizers say they have heard of issues in the past but have never had a problem there before. They say they swept the course before the race.
“I hope it’s not a local, in our case a Steamboat (resident). We really take pride in outdoor recreation, (we’re a) Bike Town USA,” McCreight said.
Several reports have been handed in to the Routt County Sheriff and cyclists are urging more people to report tack issues on the highway.
“Specifically tacks that are being spray-painted to look like the road surface,” McCreight said. “This has been going on for some time, this is not isolated to just Sunday. But I will also say somebody is going to get hurt.”
The triathlon was organized by Without Limits, a Boulder company. They said they are going to promote the triathlon to make it bigger and better next year.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bastards. This happened to me at the intersection of RidgeGate Parkway and S Havana St outside of Parker last fall. I have never been so pissed in my life. 4 in the front and 2 in the rear.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Specifically tacks that are being spray-painted to look like the road surface,”

This is the part that is really disturbing to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
“Specifically tacks that are being spray-painted to look like the road surface,”

This is the part that is really disturbing to me.

I was pretty shocked when I read that also. This means they really were trying to get people hurt.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sickening. If these chuckleheads are found and you wanted to throw the book at them, what could a prosecutor charge? Whatever it is, I think it should be one count per tack found.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [paperwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am out in Steamboat for vacation and rode that stretch of road the day before the race and there were no tacks that I saw so the guy must have put them out late in the night. A lot of people around town have been talking about this. The strange thing is that I have seen more bikes and active people that I have in any other city so it surprises me that someone would do something like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a plan.

Get some 16 year olds to hang around the area with skateboards. First crotchety old guy to yell "get off my lawn" is your suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's is just as disturbing is the anti-cyclist comments that tend to come out on any article like this, no exception here. Check out the article comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Bastards. This happened to me at the intersection of RidgeGate Parkway and S Havana St outside of Parker last fall. I have never been so pissed in my life. 4 in the front and 2 in the rear.

Ultimate shocker....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [sweettea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sick comments.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Ultimate shocker....

Zing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, used to happen a lot at IMC in one particular area. Not only during the few weeks before as folks were training but they'd also get out the night before (or really early morning of) and put them out so the first riders would get flats. And, they used carpet tacks which are longer to make sure.

While I'll be on part of the old IMC course this weekend, I'm so slow, there will be a few thousand wheels ahead of me so unless the assholes run out part ways through the race to throw more, I should be good.

That is right up there with wire across the trail on downhill bike and XC descents and jogging trails.

The worst thing is that, if caught, they'd likely only get charged with littering or something similar. They need to be charged with getting blood on my baseball bat after it smacks them upside the head.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wire across a downhill bike trail? That would kill someone.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what happened to me at IMC - crashed at high speed - and the end result? End of IM aspirations for ever... Hope the catch the culprits in Steamboat, but I do not think they will.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Sabotaged With Thumbtacks Near Steamboat [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
That is what happened to me at IMC - crashed at high speed - and the end result? End of IM aspirations for ever... Hope the catch the culprits in Steamboat, but I do not think they will.

So sorry to hear. What happened? Did they ever catch the people?

Quote Reply