Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first race back in 2007 was a local duathlon. 5 legs. Run/ride/run/ride/run.

I had a very old "MTB". More like a supermarket special that weighed about 30kg and covered in rust. It lasted until about 1km short of T2 before the rear hub seized up completely. I threw it over my shoulder and ran it back into T2.

I didn't want to DNF my first race so as I'm approaching T2 I had a flash of brilliance. My 11 year old daughter had raced in the junior race prior to the seniors, but had already removed her bike from transition. As I headed out on the second run I called out to her to put her bike back into transition (nice relaxed rules at local club races!).

So I completed the second 10km bike leg on her bike, another flat bar supermarket special. I'm 6'1". I think I had bruises on my chin from my knees hitting it!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
At the local sprint tri yesterday:
1. The first swim wave was for the "elites" and contained a young lady using a kick board. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one

2. I had a really solid swim and made my way quickly into T1 ready to fly into my cycling shoes and get on the road only to find a woman in my row had unracked her mountain bike and put it up on its kickstand in front of my transition space while she went through a complete wardrobe change.

How does a solid swim put you behind another racer that rides a mountain bike and needs to do a complete wardrobe change? Maybe you need to spend less time perfecting your flying bike mounts and spend more time in the pool. <pink>

Quote | Reply
I may have been hallucinating but I am pretty sure I saw a guy in jorts on the IMLOU bike course last weekend...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [crolson24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.[/quote]
How does a solid swim put you behind another racer that rides a mountain bike and needs to do a complete wardrobe change? Maybe you need to spend less time perfecting your flying bike mounts and spend more time in the pool. <pink>[/quote]
Wave start where Athena's had a 5 minute head start on a 400m swim. Haven't swam much since separting my shoulder in a bike wreck.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [racingmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a bodybuilder in our Tri club. He is insane; signs up for IM Kalmar and does virtually no training. He did triathlons for like 10-15 years before switching to BB a few years ago. Finish time in IM Kalmar: 12:10. Insane!

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See he's a freak of nature 35-40 yo!! Insane +2.
Maybe I'll just go to the gym this winter and not ride or swim or run. I hate swimming anyways. Heck a whole new angle on triathlon training. I probably could not beat this guy in an IM even though I'm better at swimming than him. He is very consistant in his times. 1:25, 5:59 and 4:39.
Last edited by: osteomark: Aug 29, 14 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does "virtually no training" mean he maybe only put in 1/4 of gym time into tri training? for BBs, that can be quite a significant amount of time. Don't those guys spend like 3+ hours a day in the gym?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by caveAllen [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: caveAllen: Aug 29, 14 10:39
Quote | Reply
Dude really needs to work on his quads. They are certainly weak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but did he ride a beach cruiser?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Tri_again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His calfs are bigger than his thighs!!
http://www2.backprint.com/pathendrickphoto/127412/176-061-018
Last edited by: osteomark: Aug 29, 14 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [osteomark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
osteomark wrote:
His calfs are bigger than his thighs!!
http://www2.backprint.com/pathendrickphoto/127412/176-061-018

you guys must be joking its obviously the compression wear. I have a similar issue where my midriff is far bigger then the rest of me...sometimes my head too; just sometimes.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted it before, but it's worth a second look.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Black Plague] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he get a penalty for leaving his other shoe behind on the course somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Black Plague] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always tell my friends that if you're not puking you're not trying. I'm gonna change that to "if you're not puking and you haven't lost a shoe you're not trying."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My very first sprint tri in 2003 a guy died in the water during the swim of the previous race (apparent heart attack) and my girlfriend at the time had to attend as she was a respiratory therapist. So our race start was delayed about 45 mins while paramedics came, etc. and we had to stand on the beach watching them get him out of the water and take him away. Needless to say I was a bit nervous about the swim.

Then I was riding a hybrid bike and my seat post happened to break 1/3 of the way through the bike course, dropping me as low as possible. I have a great picture somewhere of me riding into T2 on what looks like a Huffy bike because the handlebars are almost above my head. I'm sure if anyone here had seen it I'd probably be one of the people mentioned in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Tri_again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_again wrote:
Dude really needs to work on his quads. They are certainly weak.

Your calves and arms shouldn't be bigger than your quads. However, I got the impression that creating visual bulk vs. strength or endurance are counter productive, so they might be smaller intentionally for they remain functional, durable and flexible. Those 3 components are of little value to a body builder.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppzGV1U8y8

His quads are small because he won't squat. Ass to grass, or you're a pussy.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [David B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Rev3 Maine a couple of weeks ago and while walking into Olive Garden (I know it's terrible, but my wife and daughter like it) the night before the race, there was a guy sitting on the bench outside and he had his timing chip strapped to his ankle. I guess he wanted to make sure he didn't forget to put it on before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also seen said jort wearing dude on the IMLou bike! Laughed my ass off!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [kawessel2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kawessel2 wrote:
I also seen said jort wearing dude on the IMLou bike! Laughed my ass off!

That's awesome, but there's not enough body glide in the world for me to try that. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you know that dude ran the marathon in those jorts like a boss. I can only imagine the stench coming from the taint of those jorts during the run, and the epic chaffing associated. He was a manly man for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [kawessel2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy last night (Sept 8th) still wearing his blue IM Boulder wrist band. I know you're proud of your accomplishment, and rightly so, but damn.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next