Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC profit numbers [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:

Missed Opportunity. I'm sure WTC monitors talk here, but that's 10% of 10% of the opportunity ST offers WTC (Slowman, you listening too?). WTC should be proactively coming to STers and asking "what's broken, what's the top ten list of things we should fix." And they should also be asking "hey, here's a new product or service we're thinking about, what do you think?" It's not our job to offer them a solution — that's their job!

This is more than monitoring chat; it is proactive customer discovery, and for WTC it's easy and free via ST. And yet how often do you see WTC coming to ST asking us for feedback? Not so much.

I actually disagree with this. I think they are much better served by getting feedback after events directly from the athletes who participated in the event - like the post-race surveys. There seem to be a significant number of people who comment on ST regarding WTC who are parroting what they heard, jumping on the bash WTC bandwagon, or are just armchair quarterbacks, rather than giving comments based on what they actually experienced (both good and bad) at a race. If someone has a comment or suggestion then there is nothing stopping them from forwarding it directly to WTC at any time. I'm sure they can gain some insight by monitoring the ST forum, but I think feedback directly form people who participated in an event is more valuable.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When u have hundreds and or a thousand people volunteering their time for a companies profit I can see why would irritate some people .
Then u have a pro who wants to be paid for his hobby while some poor sap is working for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
cjbruin wrote:
I was sent a satisfaction survey this morning for IMC, that is probably more valuable to them than he whining rants from the same few people on ST...which is not to say that they should completely ignore those altogether.

Well, it's not my private equity firm that owns WTC, but what I see in ST is a gold mine of customer feedback and opportunities to use the dedicated ST crowd to enhance WTC's marketing effort and good will globally.

A customer survey... in today's information/tech age?

Just sayin'.

Oh, I am pretty sure WTC gives ST commentary about its events as much credit as it deserves.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if they are better served through after-event feedback, does that mean WTC should not pursue other feedback? The channels are not mutually exclusive, and ST is an easy and free resource for WTC. IMHO, failing to proactively utilize every single avenue of feedback from core customers, that's easy to do and free of cost, is a strategic mistake - both for gathering critical input and for testing new ideas.

If I were an exec at WTC and my business development team was leaving free samples on the table, I'd be looking for a new bus dev team.

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they do read the comments on the ST forum, in fact they've commented on some threads. I think with ST they need to wade through a bunch of comments from people commenting on races that they didn't even participate in and comments from people who haven't even necessarily done a WTC race. I just think they are better served directly seeking feedback after races from participants of that race. I'm sure there is value in both. That's just MY opinion ... so you may be right and I may be completely wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
Even if they are better served through after-event feedback, does that mean WTC should not pursue other feedback? The channels are not mutually exclusive, and ST is an easy and free resource for WTC. IMHO, failing to proactively utilize every single avenue of feedback from core customers, that's easy to do and free of cost, is a strategic mistake - both for gathering critical input and for testing new ideas.

If I were an exec at WTC and my business development team was leaving free samples on the table, I'd be looking for a new bus dev team.

WTC monitors Slowtwitch. The following WTC employees even comment on threads (and sometimes start threads):

Andrew Messick (CEOIronman)
Mike Reilly (IronmanVoice)
Bryan Myrick (EndurathonRD)
Tom Ziebart (TomZ????)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well over 7 figure net at a smaller NA event (full) earlier this year.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
tucktri wrote:

Providence is basically out of the picture now. The dividend was for them to cash out. So there really are no more private equity masters. Well they still have a minority stake, say 10-20%. This is most likely the Messick show now. Figure they are paying 9-10% a year on this note. Balance due in 2021. So either WTC grows the shit out of their revenues and profits or they sell.

I think most people don't see this for what it is. PEP is cashed out. From their position, anything else they can get of WTC is gravy, and if nothing comes and the business fails (and lack of continued growth will be fail thanks to the debt load), then at least PEP got out with a handy profit. What you've got is a company with $150m in revenue that all of a sudden owes in the ballpark of $20m / year in loan payments alone. That's a huge burden. I am not envious of any WTC employees now (Messick and BOD aside; I'll assume they also got a nice payday via the dividend). Their future is continued strong growth or else. Any slowdown and their heavy debt becomes an albatross around their neck.

First off...no one has any idea what their financials look like except them and PEP...so speculating on how taxing their debt will be on the is silly. Second, they have one of the best business models out there:
1. No goods to be sold (outside of merch), all revenue is based on a service
2. People pay for that service up to 1 year in advance. They have a DSO numbers that are insanely awesome and a cash flow that is incredible.
3. Very few fixed costs, very little D&A, and a very high Working Capital number

They are basically a lender's wet dream when you look at the circumstances. Even without seeing their financials, my bet is that the debt load isn't going to be a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
tucktri wrote:
Providence is basically out of the picture now. The dividend was for them to cash out. So there really are no more private equity masters. Well they still have a minority stake, say 10-20%. This is most likely the Messick show now. Figure they are paying 9-10% a year on this note. Balance due in 2021. So either WTC grows the shit out of their revenues and profits or they sell.

I think most people don't see this for what it is. PEP is cashed out. From their position, anything else they can get of WTC is gravy, and if nothing comes and the business fails (and lack of continued growth will be fail thanks to the debt load), then at least PEP got out with a handy profit. What you've got is a company with $150m in revenue that all of a sudden owes in the ballpark of $20m / year in loan payments alone. That's a huge burden. I am not envious of any WTC employees now (Messick and BOD aside; I'll assume they also got a nice payday via the dividend). Their future is continued strong growth or else. Any slowdown and their heavy debt becomes an albatross around their neck.
Glad someone else gets it. Yeah messick prob saw something in the dividend but gotta think his big payday is coming when he sells this turd to the next sucker.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a push to sell (now retracted). Other private equity groups (word was this was who they were attempting to sell it to -- anyone got ideas on what other group would/could buy it?) could see the analysis themselves and realized that the asset was flat lining and doing a little cannabalization. The initial steep growth curve had already been realized. PE getting 220m is simply them giving up on the asset seeing any more exponential growth in the next few years. Money talks louder than messick's public professing of "proliferation of races is our future growth."

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: WTC profit numbers [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my guess is no PE firm would touch this now. There is very small upside. PE firms don't get in on the top of a wave, they get in at or near ground zero and ride it home and jump off before it crashes. Seeing that the speculation that the PE firm cashed out is intriguing.